eBay Watch: Dore Alpert Single

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fortunately I've got this one (WL promo); paid $8 for it in a 'Goldmine' auction a couple of years ago.
JB
(still looking for the elusive #702, online)

I see that this was one of Harry Nilsson’s early compositions (that seems to be the extent of HIS A&M connection). That, and the arranger/conducter being listed as "H.A." Which reminds me of some Diana Ross singles on Motown in the '70's listing the executive producer as one "B.G."

And as for the chronology: For obvious reasons, they didn't get into Alpert and Adler's "reunion" in 1970 when A&M started distributing what was initially called "Ode '70" Records.

I also noticed that that copy emanated from Monarch Record Mfg. in L.A., with typesetting therefrom. Does anyone know if Columbia (whose custom-manufacturing division pressed for A&M between 1963 -- right around the time the "ochre" label design was introduced -- and the late '80's) pressed any copies (if at all) of this entry?

W.B. said:
I see that this was one of Harry Nilsson’s early compositions (that seems to be the extent of HIS A&M connection).

Well, that and writing "Without Her."

- William

Captain Bacardi said:
Rudy said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=863727220

This A&M single is currently up to $56.00, with two more days to go.

-= N =-

Final price: $177.50!!!

Capt. Bacardi

I've heard the record -- it ain't that good!

Harry
...with this particular record digitally preserved, online...

Capt. Bacardi was that you (Jazzbill) that was willing to pay $175 for that single? Just wondering if it was, what would make it worth that much to you? If it wasn't you, then you've got a double on eBay.

David,
who, like Harry, has a digital version (WALHFHF).......

Well, at least three of the four bidders were Corner regulars! (When a single goes above $10, you can count me out!) In fact, I just heard from Steve Maietta today by e-mail.

-= N =-

thetijuanataxi said:
Capt. Bacardi was that you (Jazzbill) that was willing to pay $175 for that single? Just wondering if it was, what would make it worth that much to you? If it wasn't you, then you've got a double on eBay.

Yeah, it was me, but there was a method to my madness. The "winner" of this has a habit of sniping, and has done it to me on numerous occasions. He/she also loves to jack up the prices. So I knew that when I punched in whatever amount it was, that I wouldn't be the high bidder. Paybacks are hell. :twisted:

I would like to have the 45 myself, but not for that much. I only have a cassette copy that Steve made me many years ago. If I remember right, he outbid me on a Goldmine auction in the early 90's for this single. I think I bid $15 for it then, and Steve told me later that he got it with a $20 bid (or something close to that). Of course, back then I used to think that he and I were the only Alpert fans who knew about this stuff. Boy, was I wrong about that! :wink:

Capt. Bacardi
...hanging on to my money for a brief vacation next week online...

You was born a gamblin' man!! What if your bid wasn't topped? Could we start ribbing you over winning a $175 single? :wink:

Just noticed there was a fifth bidder, another "handle" I don't recognize.

-= N =-
...glad that all his recent bids were $7.99 or less...

NP: Genesis, A Trick of The Tail, "Ripples..."

Rudy said:
You was born a gamblin' man!! What if your bid wasn't topped? Could we start ribbing you over winning a $175 single? :wink:

Undoubtedly! :D Heck, I paid $150 for "Bo-Bo" on the Portrait In Music CD, so $175 for two songs would've been a bargain! :cool: I was pretty sure that person had a $200 bid, and would've sniped me had I actually outbid him/her. Bet the farm on it! :confused:

Capt. Bacardi

There seems to be an abundance of these "snipers" with bottomless pockets hiding in the shadows nearly everytime a sealed or collectible Herb Alpert item is auctioned. So much so, that the vendors have started throwing in the "Herb Alpert" beacon into the title of every item that he is even remotely conected with. The Cd of Chris Montez, "Foolin' Around" that I miraculously won for $18.49 was listed as "CHRIS MONTEZ "HERB ALPERT" JAPAN ONLY CD". I've also seen Sergio Mendes, Baja Marimba, Claudine Longet items mentioning Herb in the title. Seems like eBay vendors have realized that the mere mention of Herb's name encites bid wars.

David,
who snagged Jap CD copy of "Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66" for $25 this week...

Guilty as charged with sniping, but I do it mainly to keep the price lower on what I bid on. And I go in with an upper limit on the snipes--if I tell myself I'm only going to bid $5.00 for an LP, so be it...if someone else wants to part with more money, let 'em. I'll just get the next one.

Ironically, CDNow has that first Brasil '66 CD on sale right now for $24 and change. (They're running some kind of import sale.) With shipping, you probably wound up at about the same price.

-= N =-
NP: Genesis, A Trick of the Tail, "Dance on a Volcano"

Amazon was selling the CD for the longest time for $35.00, but the last time I looked, it had the dreaded "limited supply" status which usually means out of print. Still, $25 isn't bad for an import. If it had gone any higher, I would have passed on it. But in light of all the money I'm NOT spending on current domestic crap CDs, I figure I can splurge a little to keep '60's A&M alive in my CD player. The Japanese discs also have such authentic cover art right down to the original A&M catalog numbers on many of them, for that alone, I feel compelled to dig a little deeper.

David,
NP "Cinco De Mayo" by Herb and Co.

thetijuanataxi said:
There seems to be an abundance of these "snipers" with bottomless pockets hiding in the shadows nearly everytime a sealed or collectible Herb Alpert item is auctioned. So much so, that the vendors have started throwing in the "Herb Alpert" beacon into the title of every item that he is even remotely conected with. The Cd of Chris Montez, "Foolin' Around" that I miraculously won for $18.49 was listed as "CHRIS MONTEZ "HERB ALPERT" JAPAN ONLY CD". I've also seen Sergio Mendes, Baja Marimba, Claudine Longet items mentioning Herb in the title. Seems like eBay vendors have realized that the mere mention of Herb's name encites bid wars.

David,
who snagged Jap CD copy of "Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66" for $25 this week...

Wouldn't you think that all of these bidding wars would lead Herb to believe that there really IS a market for some of his early material? I mean, it wouldn't be too hard to imagine a $2500.00 outlay for all of Herb's early recordings...maybe I should make triple or quadruple copies of the material I have...at EBay prices, I could buy a new car for what a complete set of available TJB recordings would go for...maybe even a Caddy...How much did Herb make off of the sale of that single? A dime? A Quarter? For 175 bucks, wouldn't you rather have a box set? Maybe several? Maybe this is part of the reason Herb is thinking about a reissue...and he got a lot of exposure Sunday night...there is bound to be a renewed interest in the TJB as well as the BMB, which, by the way, HAS reissued some material...

Dan

The market is definitely there. The key to TJB reissues being a success is proper marketing, releasing all of the original albums, especially the ones that have never made it to CD before properly remastered on the latest equipment and supervised by Herb, original cover art, going into detail to the best of Herb's recollection which musicians were featured on each track, commentary by Herb and perhaps the surviving TJB members on the making and concept for each album, and perhaps a rarities CD set that features Bsides, alternate mixes, pre-TJB songs etc. But Herb must promote the reissues so that the people such as you and I who will spend the bucks will know they exist. If left in he hands of Universal, Many folks will never know it is available. Case in point, when we had the reissues wish list going here at the forum, I was AMAZED at how many people who visit here didn't know that WHIPPED CREAM and LONELY BULL were in print!! It is also why these people payed ungodly amounts on eBay for these discs used when they could have gone to their local music store, CD Now, or Amazon and bought them new for a lot less. Herb clearly doesn't need the money at this point. I would imagine that his main reason for doing a reissue project would be to satisfy his loyal fans who are anxiously awaiting CD versions of their favorite LPs. So if the marketing is done right, I'm sure Herb will sell a healthy number of discs. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that $18.99 is too much for a CD. Ordinarily, I would agree, but where reissues of things like '60's A&M are concerned, the record company is not going to sell 10 million copies like they do with new releases, so if we have to shell out a couple of extra bucks to have our favorite recordings from yesteryear properly remastered, then I'm okay with that. Besides, if they market it properly, then the CDs will be carried by Walmart, Circuit City and Best Buy which will reduce the price somewhat.

David,
Hoping to see "Sound Like" "Ninth" "Warm" and "Summertime" on CD before 2003..........

thetijuanataxi said:
Someone mentioned in an earlier post that $18.99 is too much for a CD. Ordinarily, I would agree, but where reissues of things like '60's A&M are concerned, the record company is not going to sell 10 million copies like they do with new releases, so if we have to shell out a couple of extra bucks to have our favorite recordings from yesteryear properly remastered, then I'm okay with that.

The key to selling at full list price (vs. midline): offer value. Release, for instance, The Lonely Bull. Put on the full mono album, followed by the full stereo album. (There may be enough differences to justify both mono and stereo versions.) That still leaves room for b-sides, unreleased tracks, etc. Might be a good place for the Dore Alpert A&M single, and the Carnival tracks. (Since those are directly A&M related, they would fit.) Good liner notes and session information, in a nice booklet...and you have a fine full-priced item! That I have no problem paying for. If Lonely Bull were just re-released as it was before (stereo CD, no bonus, no liner notes), with possibly better sound, with top-drawer $18.99 pricing, I'd probably take Hal David's advice and "Walk On By."

-= N =-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom