Elton with a Carpenters BOX SET in his record collection

I had always though Elton wasn't a fan of their music. I've read a quote where he said he likes Karen's voice but it's not the kind of music he listens to. Although he did say about Karen "She has one of the greatest voices of our lifetime"

Thanks for sharing.

Impressive attention to detail basasfan, from 1970 to 1975 the Carpenters and Elton ruled the Top 40 charts. I wonder if Elton looked upon Karen and Richard with disfavor after the firing of his good friend Neil Sedaka in 1975? The only time I remember their paths crossing was in 1980 during the taping of Olivia's Hollywood Nights special where Karen and Elton were guests. Maybe they had some encounters at the Grammy Awards or met backstage during the Carpenters UK tours.

Impressive attention to detail basasfan, from 1970 to 1975 the Carpenters and Elton ruled the Top 40 charts. I wonder if Elton looked upon Karen and Richard with disfavor after the firing of his good friend Neil Sedaka in 1975? The only time I remember their paths crossing was in 1980 during the taping of Olivia's Hollywood Nights special where Karen and Elton were guests. Maybe they had some encounters at the Grammy Awards or met backstage during the Carpenters UK tours.

This has always been an area I've always wanted to find out more about: Carpenters and their interactions/friendships with other musicians.

He did take Sedaka’s side over his firing. He wasn’t happy with what Carpenters did. I took it as an anti Carpenters stance back then. I know they used to lock the doors, and let Elton in alone, to go music shopping at the Tower Records Store on Sunset Blvd. when he was in town. He would load up a shopping cart with hundreds of titles. He knows and appreciates good music. He’s one of my favorite artists too. Only 2nd to Carpenters for me. I’ve had the privilege of seeing him perform exactly 20 times now. His farewell tour at the Los Angeles Forum February 2019 was amazing. Really great catch on that box set. Hope his set was better pressed than mine.

The one from 2017 with 12 lps inside, that most of us bought, and complained about the bad pressing issues. It’s showing the spine of the box which is blue.

The one from 2017 with 12 lps inside, that most of us bought, and complained about the bad pressing issues. It’s showing the spine of the box which is blue.

Ah ok, it was the blue spine that confused me. I thought that box set was white.

Not a Sedaka fan at all. Sedaka tried to act like he was the headliner, not the Carpenters. I like Elton but he can be a diva, I have seen his documentary Tiaras and Tantrums. He has been known to go off on people.

Last edited:
Not a Sedaka fan at all. Sedaka tried to act like he was the headliner, not the Carpenters. I like Elton but he can be a diva, I have seen his documentary Tiaras and Tantrums. He has been known to go off on people.
I just finished reading his autobiography.
It started out a bit slow but ended up being an interesting chronicle of his life.

I just finished reading his autobiography.
It started out a bit slow but ended up being an interesting chronicle of his life.

I thought it was a brilliant read, I laughed out loud at many parts of it, almost all of which are too blue to repeat here :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom