ENCANTO comments + reviews thread*

What is your favorite track from ENCANTO?

• The Look Of Love (ft. Fergie)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Funky Bahia (ft. will.i.am & Siedah Garrett)

• Waters Of March (ft. Ledisi)

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Odo-Ya (ft. Carlinhos Brown)

• Somewhere In The Hills (ft. Natalie Cole)

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Lugar Comum (ft. Dreams Come True)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dreamer (ft. Lani Hall & Herb Alpert)

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Morning In Rio

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • E Vamos La (...Let's Go)

• Catavento (ft. Gracinha Leporace)

• Acode (ft. Vanessa Da Mata)

• Agua De Beber (ft. will.i.am)

• Les Eaux De Mars (ft. Zap Mama)

• Y Vamos Ya (...Let's Go) (ft. Juanes)

• Lugar Comum (ft. Jovanotti)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This just arrived in the UK and I'm fairly disappointed so far. There's too much jolly chanting, jejune lyrics (I'll recall some in a full post if you can be bothered to wait) and for what it might have been, the Lani-Sergio reunion is rather perfunctory. It's one of my favourite melodies but I know it so well I had high expectations. Her voice, still a delight, has aged considerably since "Brasil Nativo". Fave vocal so far is Jovanotti's rap, yet!

This was based on a first, cursory listen-through, when the deplorable "Funky Bahia" was recurring with alarming frequency on my MP3 player. I shall now retract, shamelessly, most of my initial rant.

The Look of Love/Agua de Beber: I remain as relatively unimpressed with this batch of Brasil '66 re-workings as I was with the Timeless selections. Fine as far as they go but who needs it? I am, I admit committed to the extent of entrenchment, to the originals. I have always and always will hanker after the 2-girl-led combo that follows through to 2, 3, 4 albums but what are the odds of that happening again?

Waters of March/Les Eaux de Mars: Just as the samba percussion on this album was beginning to sound a wee bit synthesized (it isn't, is it?) along came these corkers. I think Sergio was right to go this way with the song, the B77/B88 versions being so bizarrely similar! Gorgeous!

Dreamer/Somewhere in the Hills: All good voices must come to an end and while Lani's creamy timbre still charms me a lot, the vibrato is dilated now, not a' la Liza "you can park your Mak truck in my vibrato" Minnelli, but compromised. I've never been an admirer of N. Cole. I agree with the poster who pointed out the benefits of double-tracking lani's vocal. Nice but pedestrian.

Odo-Ya, Morning in Rio, Y Vamos La, Acode: Among these are songs I found "chanty...jejune" on first impact but they've all seduced me completely since. At best there's a tight-but-loose, driven, funky vibe reminiscent of the best bits of Vintage 74 (Voce Abussou, Marinhero So).

Funky Bahia: The most horrific piece of drivel Sergio has ever recorded -- and God forbid this should be anyone's first introduction ti the great man. The cheap, horrible lyrics which would make Lionel Richie's toes curl (kind of even-worse "dancing on the ceiling"), this opprobrium belongs on the Magic Lady edit-room floor. It's like a pastiche of something too horrible to be pastiched.

Catavento: Musical and vocal perfection. This melody is so quintessentially Brazilian it makes me grin with pure joy. Gracinha's voice is truly a blessing. A towering favourite of mine.

Lugar Comum: I lived in Milan for many years and would see Jovanotti about and, believe me, he's as hot as he sounds. It took me a while to take blue-eyed Italian rap seriously but Jovanotti is highly lyrical. the Italian lyrics follow the Portuguese back-chant as closely as possibleand Jovanotti is at his exuberant best here.

In the final analysis, I love this album now, and Sergio's playing is hot all through. IMHO his best outing since Brasil '88!

A few more thoughts:

I love the jazzy flute on Y Vamos La.

Is Herb quoting Waters of March just before his solo on Dreamer?

Some Brasil '66 songs I hope will not be tackled on future outings: Cinnamon and Clove, Festa, Look Around, Roda, For Me.

On reflection, the best re-working of the last two albums has been So Many Stars (Loose Ends) because only the beautiful orchestration is kept intact and it cleverly hosts an edgy, urban rap which is also highly melodic.

Is Herb quoting Waters of March just before his solo on Dreamer?
I thought that immediately on first hearing. He plays just enough of the WOM melody to make it recognizable, but stops just when you recognize it and goes on to something else, making it impossible to tell if he did it on purpose or not....very cool.

They played Funky Bahia today at the gym, THAT was cool! I had pondered before how I'd mix that track and The look of love from this album in my playlist for the dancefloor if I was a DJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom