ENCANTO comments + reviews thread*

What is your favorite track from ENCANTO?

• The Look Of Love (ft. Fergie)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Funky Bahia (ft. will.i.am & Siedah Garrett)

• Waters Of March (ft. Ledisi)

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Odo-Ya (ft. Carlinhos Brown)

• Somewhere In The Hills (ft. Natalie Cole)

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Lugar Comum (ft. Dreams Come True)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dreamer (ft. Lani Hall & Herb Alpert)

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Morning In Rio

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • E Vamos La (...Let's Go)

• Catavento (ft. Gracinha Leporace)

• Acode (ft. Vanessa Da Mata)

• Agua De Beber (ft. will.i.am)

• Les Eaux De Mars (ft. Zap Mama)

• Y Vamos Ya (...Let's Go) (ft. Juanes)

• Lugar Comum (ft. Jovanotti)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
From AC, Associated Content, The People's Media Company :

Sergio Mendes' Encanto has Star Power on its Side

By The Reviewer, published Mar 07, 2008

Two years ago the legendary Sergio Mendes teamed with Black Eyed Peas founder Will.I.Am to launch Sergio's music to a whole new audience. The resulting album, Timeless, was one of the most pleasant surprises of 2006. The album mixed Sergio's classic songs with modern artists. Now Sergio is back once again with his latest collaboration album, Encanto. Does Encanto live up to the legacy of Timeless?

The Look of Love features Will.I.Am and Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas. Fergie definitely adds a different element to the song. The song is still as magical as it has always been. The musicianship and new arrangement only add to the songs appeal.

On Agua De Beber Sergio is once again joined by Will.I.Am. The song features two short verses from Will.I.Am but is really all about the quality musicianship of Sergio and his band. Throughout the song various members of the band are given solos to show off their musical chops.

Waters of March features Ledisi. The song is just incredibly catchy and Ledisi adds a very strong vocal performance. The song captures all of the magic of Sergio Mendes and adds a very capable vocalist to the mix.

Odo-Ya adds Carlinhos Brown to the mix with Sergio. The song is not the strongest track on the effort however it is still solid.

Y Vamos Ya (Let's Go) teams Sergio Mendes with Juanes. The song is more classic Sergio Mendes. Juanes adds very strong vocals and fits with the whole flow of the song.

The track Dreamer features Herb Alpert and Lani Hall. The song is one of the mellower tracks on the album. The track features lush instrumentation and slow melodic vocals which only add to the song.

Funky Bahia teams Will.I.Am and Siedah Garrett up with Sergio. The song is a happy little song and although it lacks substance it is definitely a feel good song.

Somewhere in the Hills (O Morro Nao Tem Vez) is one of the strongest tracks on the album. The vocalist on the track just captures the essence of Sergio Mendes. The song is extremely catchy.

On Acode Sergio Mendes is joined by Vanessa Da Mata. The song is very interesting sounding and features elements from so many genres of music.

Although Encanto is star-studded, the star quotient is less than Sergio's last album, Timeless. However, the fewer guest appearances add to the album to make it even more cohesive. Encanto is a very complete album. Encanto gets 8.5 out of 10. If you are a fan of Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66, make sure you pick up Encanto when it is available in stores later this year.

© 2008 Associated Content, Inc.

Harry

The more I listen to ENCANTO, the more I like it - a lot!

I added a poll to the thread, but I'll tell you, I'm having a hard time picking a favorite. So many of these tracks are amazing in their ability to grab me. I included the Jovanotti track even though that's officially not out yet, but we know it will be at some point.

I even strongly disagree about the Fergie track, and think it's quite good. Even Will.I.Am sounds good here, actually singing the melody on several tracks rather than just rapping.

Outstanding album! Bravo Sergio (and Gracinha)! And thank you!

Harry

I think I have it narrowed down to a few favorites but a top one? Hard to say at this point. I'm really enjoying "Acode," "Dreamer," "Odo Ya" (which I would have made the opening tune if I was programming the disk), "Somewhere in the Hills," and "Catavento." But like you say, there are good things about all the tracks, even "The Look of Love."

I do wish Sergio had recorded Lani Hall "double tracked" throughout "Dreamer." Then it would've really sounded like a classic Brasil '66 track! When it goes into the double tracked segment near the end of the song, that's a great moment.

As fantastic as the Japanese ENCANTO is, For my tastes, I will prefer the American release.

I'm glad to have the Japanese version with the bonus and alternate tracks, but I prefer Ledisi's "Waters of March" to Zap Mamas (After many listens, I don't think French 'scans' as well in this song as Portuguese, English or Italian ...c.f. the video I've linked for comparison...yes, I know I've linked it before :wink: ), like Jovanotti's "Lugar Comum" over 'Dreams Come True' and ...believe it not...prefer Juanes "Y Vamos Ya" over Sergio and Gracinha's "E Vamos La".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTKPjtU2FK0

MasterLcZ said:
As fantastic as the Japanese ENCANTO is, For my tastes, I will prefer the American release.

I'm glad to have the Japanese version with the bonus and alternate tracks, but I prefer Ledisi's "Waters of March" to Zap Mamas

Agreed. The French version doesn't seem to flow vocally as well at does in the other languages. I really like Ledisi's version

MasterLcZ said:
like Jovanotti's "Lugar Comum" over 'Dreams Come True' and

Here I'm not so sure. I'll need to hear Jovanotti's version more times. I like the Dreams Come True vocals. The lead singer (Miwa Yoshida) has a nice voice and does well with the song.

MasterLcZ said:
...believe it not...prefer Juanes "Y Vamos Ya" over Sergio and Gracinha's "E Vamos La".

This one's a toss-up for me. Both are really very good, and both sound "right", whatever that means.

Monday, May 12th is now the listed Amazon release date in the UK. The track list there is a little different with all of the Will.I.Am stuff front-loaded on the disc. From the Amazon track list:

1. The Look Of Love (Ft Fergie)
2. Funky Bahia (Ft Will.i.am & Siedah Garrett)
3. Agua De Beber (Ft Will.i.am)
4. Odo-Ya (Ft Carlinhos Brown)
5. Waters Of March (Ft Ledisi)
6. Lugar Comun (Ft Jovanotti)
7. Somewhere In The Hills (Ft Natalie Cole)
8. Morning In Rio
9. Dreamer (Ft Herb Alpert & Lani Hall)
10. Y Vamos La (Ft Juanes)
11. Acode (Ft Vanessa Da Mata)
12. Catavento E Girassol (Ft Gracinha Leporace)
13. E Vamos La
14. Les Eaux De Mars (Waters Of March – French Version) (Ft Zap Mama)

You still get two versions of "Y Vamos Ya", with Juanes' version moving into the main album section; and both versions of "Waters Of March" are still found here. This version substitutes the Jovanotti "Lugar Comum" for the Dreams Come True version.

US release dates are still kind of vague.

Harry

I wonder what strings Dreams Come True pulled in order to get listed in ALL CAPS on the packaging. At first I thought it was a song title, as in a medley.

OK, a few other questions/comments now that I've had the chance to digest the album further.

1. I wonder why there are no "additional" songwriting credits on "The Look of Love?" Unless Bacharach wrote the rap parts...which I doubt, although given the lyrics he penned on AT THIS TIME, he could have.

2. According to the credits, will.i.am is actually only present on four out of the 12 songs which make up the album proper (and only performs on three out of those four). So, why does he get equal billing with Sergio as producer? Marquee value, maybe?

3. It's very cool to see mastering by Bernie Grundman, and art direction by Roland Young...two old hands from a ton of A&M albums back in the day. And still doing a superb job. And not forgetting Bill Schnee, who mixed and/or produced a lot of great albums in the '70s and '80s for many artists and labels.

Those thoughts out of the way, I'll get back to enjoying the album which gets better with every spin. I think I'm zeroing in on "Odo Ya" and "Acode" as my favorites but there really are no throwaways here at all.

Mike, I've wondered about some of the same things as you. My guess is that the extra lyrics on "The Look Of Love" were done by will.i.am, and that he didn't presume to add his name to the Bacharach-David credits on this famous song. Take it as a sign of humility or respect. He also didn't add his credits to the extra lyrics added to "Agua De Beber"

will.i.am's album co-production credit is probably due to his help in securing some of the talent involved in some of these tracks. I'm happy that he's allowed Sergio to be Sergio on this album.

Bernie Grundman is still doing his thing, having done all of the remasters for Carpenters and most of Herb's Shout! output.

I too am really fond of "Acode" - so much so that I've at least attempted to find out more info on Vanessa Da Mata.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanessa_da_Mata

http://www.vanessadamata.com.br/

I find the songwriting credit on "Acode" rather intriguing, going to both Vanessa Da Mata and Sergio Mendes.

Harry

About the producer credit - I remember seeing that happen with Clive Davis on quite a few albums. He'd be listed as "album producer" but not included on the track production credits. I do know the role of "producer" has always been pretty vague.

One other small thing I noticed...in the booklet, all of the guest artists have their names in bold type...except Lani Hall! I'm sure that was just an oversight when the booklet was being constructed.

Mike Blakesley said:
One other small thing I noticed...in the booklet, all of the guest artists have their names in bold type...except Lani Hall! I'm sure that was just an oversight when the booklet was being constructed.

Nah....it's just long-delayed payback for Sergio MendeZ and BraZil 66 on the back of Sundown Lady. :cool:

Not only that, but after all these years, they STILL can't get Gracinha's name correct. It's right most of the time, but in the lead vocals credits for "E Vamos La" she's listed as Gracinha Laporace.

encanto10.jpg

Harry

The most important question is...how do you think this CD will sell? I do think it will do exceptionally well abroad (From his many YouTube videos, it appears Jovanotti is a huge star in Italy) How do you think Concord can market ENCANTO? Will it be offered at Starbucks the way TIMELESS was?

I hold to my earlier thought this is Sergio's best since HORIZONTE. His 2nd A&M period is frustratingly spotty, with too many cheesy Joe Pizzulo power ballads and not nearly enough Gracinha or Lani or real Brazilian beats. BRASILIERO seemed like a less good version of the hypnotic PRIMAL ROOTS. Even OCEANO had big weaknesses along with some wonderful cuts. But ENCANTO hasn't left my CD player since it arrived. And I haven't tired of it yet!

I even like THE LOOK OF LOVE now and FUNKY BAHIA. These would make fun videos!

MasterLcZ said:
The most important question is...how do you think this CD will sell? I do think it will do exceptionally well abroad (From his many YouTube videos, it appears Jovanotti is a huge star in Italy) How do you think Concord can market ENCANTO? Will it be offered at Starbucks the way TIMELESS was?

I haven't heard of any association with "Hear Music", the Starbucks moniker, for this album, but I suppose it's still possible. One would wonder if that's part of the reason for the delay in the US release. Or maybe they're just fixing the bold type on Lani Hall's name and/or fixing the spelling of Gracinha's name!

MasterLcZ said:
I hold to my earlier thought this is Sergio's best since HORIZONTE. His 2nd A&M period is frustratingly spotty, with too many cheesy Joe Pizzulo power ballads and not nearly enough Gracinha or Lani or real Brazilian beats. BRASILIERO seemed like a less good version of the hypnotic PRIMAL ROOTS. Even OCEANO had big weaknesses along with some wonderful cuts. But ENCANTO hasn't left my CD player since it arrived. And I haven't tired of it yet!

Though I have some fondness for the '80s albums, I have to admit that this is indeed the best since HORIZONTE ABERTO. One could probably comb through the '80s A&M stuff and come up with one really good album's worth of material out of the bunch of them. The Pizzulo power ballads are good in their own right - they just don't sound like Sergio Mendes records!

MasterLcZ said:
I even like THE LOOK OF LOVE now and FUNKY BAHIA. These would make fun videos!

Agreed. "The Look Of Love" is quite good, and a fun listen, and so is "Funky Bahia". The two even sound like they belong together on the album with the beat from one almost continuing into the other.

But if I'm leaning towards picking a favorite right now, like Mike B. it would be "Acode" with "Odo-ya" running a close second. And I too have to say that it hasn't left my CD player. If I'm listening to music at all, it's ENCANTO.

Harry

How will it sell? I'd love for it to be a big seller in the U.S. among Brazilian, "world" and jazz artists. In fact, I'd welcome hearing one or two of these tracks on Smooth Jazz radio stations just to give it a marketing push--there has to be a couple that these stations could play. (I don't have this CD, and probably won't for some time, unfortunately.) The fact that will.i.am's name is attached to it means that some of the more adventurous BEP fans may pick this one up and like it. And "underground" movements like ours here do help to spread the word about it.

In all reality though, releases like this just aren't big sellers like they used to be. The Tijuana Brass still holds the record for the most albums in the Billboard Top 20, but that was back in the 60s; today, TJB music, and instrumental music in general (including "lite pop" like Brasil '66, etc.), doesn't even show up as a blip on the radar unless it's a movie soundtrack. Given that Mendes has a reputation that reaches back more than 40 years, though, I think this does have the potential to outsell other releases on Concord, as it has appeal beyond just one genre of music.

I have "promoted" the album to our Smooth Jazz station in Philly. They play tracks like Natalie Cole all the time, and "Somewhere In The Hills" would fit in perfectly. The PD said he'd give it a listen and perhaps a spin or two on a Latin program they run once a week.

I also tipped off our "playing anything" station that leans toward Hot AC, that the Fergie track might be something they'd be interested in. So far no response or interest.

Until Concord does *their* job here in the US, though, it's not going to get ANY attention at all. And if they DO their job, they could have a hit on their hands. With the US release dates set in late spring, a track or two from the album could be monster hits in the Summer.

Harry

Well one thing that has not changed...a hit single will sell albums. I think the song that has the best shot here is, obviously, "The Look of Love." It has the superstar vocalist and rapper, and just the fact that it HAS some rap in it and is an R&B jam gives it a leg up. And having will.i.am on the cover as producer can't hurt.

I can see where radio listeners, after hearing the single, might hope for more of the same on the album, but we can hope that they get hooked on the Brazilian beats which are like no other. That's what always brings me back.

I hope Jon "the Brasil Nut" has told Sergio and Gracinha about the rave reviews on this thread!

Rudy said:
And "underground" movements like ours here do help to spread the word about it.

Rudy, you've made my day! I've always wanted to be a part of an underground movement, now I see I've arrived. Maybe we should start using code names to maintain our anonymity -- call me Carlos!

Yokosuka Mike, er, I mean, Carlos :bandit:

I initially expressed some disappointment in Fergie’s vocals on The Look of Love, well, I think I was a little too hasty on that call. With repeated listening (I’ve been playing Encanto a lot) I’ve really taken a liking to her work on that song.

Fergie, sweetheart, if you read this, please accept my apologies for initially disrespecting your vocals on The Look of Love. I think you sound great!

Now, back to the music of Encanto!

Mike

Having heard "Encanto" only twice, I'm already "hooked". "Encanto" me encanta! I'm a huge fan of "Timeless", but I'm very gratified to hear more of the "real McCoy" Brazilian rhythms on this exquisite release. It does not hurt one bit that Maestro Tom Jobim is generously represented here with about 4 tracks.
My favorite track is the haunting "Vivo Sonhando" (Dreamer) which features the well tempered vocal gifts of Ms. Lani Alpert Hall, which can easily put to shame a "Stradivarius." She sounds better than ever. Dittos for Herb's solo. I love the section where Herb teases us with a quote from "Aguas Do Marco" on his trumpet. (about 1min and 21 seconds into that track...)
Another surprise for us here, is how good Sergio's vocals sound. In fact the whole CD is a vocal "tour-de-force." I've always loved Ms. Gracinhas singing as well , all the way back to her Bossa Rio days. Her version of "Lapinha" is tops, the definitive version. (Fool On The Hill CD) Her version here of Catavento is impeccable.
They say the fruit does not fall far from the tree, and proof of that is Ms. Natalie Cole, on Jobims sublime "O Morro" ("Somewhere In The Hills")
Sergio and Herb sure know how to pick the cream of the crop as far as compositions go. There is an important state in Brazil named "Minas Gerais" (General Mines), that gave us Milton Nascimento, Lo Borges, and other great musicians. But in fact is is the whole nation of Brazil that is a musical mine, in fact the more you dig, the more gems you find, strata upon strata, an incredible musical kaleidoscope. "Encanto" will haunt and enchant you!

I was listening to the Bossa Nova York album today recorded by the Sergio Mendes Trio in 1964 (Elenco); I have the re-issued CD from Universal Music, Brazil. Anyway, I was listening to track 8 “Vivo Sonhando” by Antonio Carlos Jobim, and I thought, I know that song! That’s when I started imagining Lani Hall singing lyrics to it in my mind. And, sure as heck, it’s the same song as “Dreamer” on Encanto.

This is probably common knowledge by everyone else here, and I’m just now putting it together, but, I thought it was pretty cool to find that Sergio had recorded that song back in 1964.

~Mike

Mike said:
I was listening to the Bossa Nova York album today recorded by the Sergio Mendes Trio in 1964 (Elenco); I have the re-issued CD from Universal Music, Brazil. Anyway, I was listening to track 8 “Vivo Sonhando” by Antonio Carlos Jobim, and I thought, I know that song! That’s when I started imagining Lani Hall singing lyrics to it in my mind. And, sure as heck, it’s the same song as “Dreamer” on Encanto.

This is probably common knowledge by everyone else here, and I’m just now putting it together, but, I thought it was pretty cool to find that Sergio had recorded that song back in 1964.

~Mike

There's another multi-named Jobim composition on Encanto that Sergio recorded previously, but I'll let you figure that one out, too. :D

As this thread has been 'bumped' recently...how does everybody think the two versions compare? I prefer the wide release over the Japanese one for several reasons: I like Jovanotti 's Lugar Comum more than the Dreams Come True "She's on the toilet" version. And I prefer Juanes' Y Vamos Ya being placed more prominently. But I do wish the wide release had the lyric booklet!

But man...I've had the CD for a while now and I gotta say I never tire of it. I play it at least once (and usually more) times a day. I know there is a tendency to be initially impressed with a CD and after a while burn out and think 'Eh, it's just OK'.* But not with ENCANTO. The more I listen the stronger it sounds. One killer cut after another! I even like Fergie's Look of Love now, and the sexy video for Funky Bahia has turned me on to that cut. Surprisingly, the one cut I'm cooling to is Somewhere in the Hills. I'm just finding Natalie Cole's voice kinda flat and dull in it. Wish it were Lani instead!

(* Of course, the opposite can happen as well. These days I am actually liking TIMELESS!! :shock: )

[I know this is Off-Topic, but is anyone else wowed by the discovery of that "lost tribe" in Brazil? I just hope everybody leaves them alone.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom