EQUINOX - on schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
The release of the remastered EQUINOX album by Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 is still on schedule. The album is now listed on the major sites like CDNow as reing released on May 21st, which is the date we've heard before for this title.

If the remastering on this is as good as LOOK AROUND, it should be a real treat, even though the price is a lttle scary.

Harry
...awaiting a little chove chuva moving this way, online...

This one I'll get at half.com. :D If I put in a preorder, I'll see if anyone nibbles.

-= N =-

Thanks Harry. I'll wait for you and Mike B. to let me know whether or not the remastering improvements are substantial enough to justify buying this album for the third time. :)

Speaking of Verve/Brazil/Mini-LP's... has anyone at this forum picked up the new reissue of Astrud Gilberto's The Shadow Of Your Smile? I have the Japanese import, which was pricey, and once again I'm not sold on the idea of plunking down twenty MORE dollars for the same 25-minute album, in a flimsy and impractical paper sleeve.

(I do have the Brubeck/Desmond Duets album from this series. The sound is crystal clear, but I don't have the previous CD reissue to compare it to. And I hate the damned mini-LP sleeve just as much as I thought I would. :mad: )

- William

Those little sleeves are annoying. I'd expect this kind of packaging with a CD single, not a full-list-price CD. Very poor protection IMHO.

-= N =-
...who'd rather crack a jewel case than watch a CD roll out of its sleeve...

Right on. Another annoying thing is that they're 5 inches square--that's about 1/4-inch too tall to fit on my CD shelves. So I have an anonymous, coverless slimline jewel case on the rack instead, with the 5" sleeve sitting unused in a drawer someplace.

It drives me crazy that the Polygram people come up with "brilliant" ideas like this, after almost 20 years were spent establishing a standard CD storage system. :rolleyes:

- William

Darn right. Even a Digipak will usually fit in a CD rack. I remember the furor when Prince's Around The World In A Day came out in a weird package. The "longbox" folded out into basically an LP-sized lyric sheet. The CD was in a paperboard sleeve...although the CD itself was in a soft white innersleeve, so it didn't roll out like my CD singles do. There was enough complaints to where later releases came in a standard jewel case.

We can also blame the Japanese for the mini-LP format--some Columbia jazz reissues came out that way, and remarks were made at how they were such cool reproductions of the classic album covers. Well, let them keep those ridiculous sleeves. For what these labels want to charge us for CDs, we deserve a helluva lot better.

-= N =-

Here's a tip for storing those weirdly packed discs:

Use a scanner to create a proper-sized cover and back insert for a jewel case, then store as normal. Save the original packaging elsewhere.

Harry
...handy dandy tip #27, online...

I can't wait for that one to come out! But doesn't it clock in at less than 30 min.? Where are those bonus tracks?! :confused:

10 songs, averaging 2-1/2 to 3 minutes each. Darn right it's skimpy, and that's why I'd rather wait a few months to get a cheap used copy, if I buy it at all. (Univer$al has their heads up...you know where...if they think they can get away w/ their full list priced version of armed robbery.) IMHO, the album's not all that great anyway, so why waste money on a CD of it? I can dub it to the computer, clean it up a bit (my copy's very clean to begin with), and have a copy for 50 cents.

-= N =-
...hoping this spells the end of B66 reissues at full price...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom