Ex-TJB trumpeter plays with European bandleader James Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin

Both Chuck and Bob Findley are supposed to be part of German bandleader James Last's upcoming European tour. Chuck played with the band for the first time on the spring tour in Germany and a short Chinese tour in September. His playing can be heard on the live DVD/CD "A world of music" produced by Eagle Rock.I believe that PBS has shown the production in the US. Bob joined him for James Last's newest studio release "All time party classics" that was recorded earlier this fall and is supposedly coming on the tour that kicks off these days.
I have tickets for the concert in Skive, Denmark on Nov 23rd. A James Last concert is always a big party. For more info on James Last and the tour go to the official web site: www.jameslast.com

- greetings from the cold and snowy north -

Martin

I saw that concert on PBS during a pledge drive...it was a real blast! Chuck was in fine form on"Nature Boy"...I wonder why Last hasn't really caught on here in the states...

Dan

I think his sound is a bit too "German" to really hit big in the US. It doesn't "swing" in quite the same way as the US bands do. Polydor(Universal) made a serious attempt in the seventies by making a record where top notch US studio musicians played his arrangements. The album was "Well kept secret" from 1975, but even with a heavy promotional campaign the record buying audience in the US did not catch on. However, James Last used to be really big in Canada, Australia and even in the far east as well as all over Europe.

- greetings from the north-

Martin

I think I have that album someplace...I remember it as being kind of bland...but the orchestra is really a whole different animal. Maybe it's because I'm older now-perish the thought-but the music seems MUCH better, more modern[for lack of a better word]. There aren't too many groups out there playing the variety of music that Last puts into his performances...and there aren't that many orchestras out there, either...anyway, he's big on PBS...

Dan NP JAMES LAST "Games That Lovers Play"

The orchestra is absolutely wonderful, but while his concerts sell out, the record sales are slow. Obviously because the "easy listening" style is more or less "dead" commercially. Also I have noted that the crowds at the James Last concerts are kind of "elderly". I saw him in London's Royal Albert Hall last November, and the "grey hair-factor" in the audience was overwhelming. He has a remarkable degree of variation in his repertoire, though. To defend us discussing him here in the TJB forum, it should be mentioned that he has made cover versions of several Alpert songs during his career. "The Lonely Bull", "Jerusalem""A Banda" and "Rise" are the ones that I can think of immideately. "Rise" was even put out as a single by James Last in 1979 and in the summer of 73 his version of "Last tango in Paris" competed with the TJB version on the European single charts.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

Sadly, you're right about "easy listening" music being a dead market; at least here in the States...I'll be looking for that DVD, though. It would make a fine xmas present for my computer... :wink:

Dan, NP James Last: BOLERO 75

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom