Falling For Love

Simon KC1950

Forgive me if this has already been posted.

In 1981, Ronnie D'Addario wrote this song, "Falling For Love" and sent his recording of it to A&M Records for the Carpenters. Word got back to him that Richard liked the song and his recording. So they recorded it with Karen laying down the work lead, guide track. It wasn't finished during Karen's lifetime (like a lot of songs) but Richard obviously doesn't deem this one fit enough for release. Either way i'd still love to hear it after hearing the recording by Ronnie. It sounds very much like a perfect song for Karen & Richard.

Take a listen:

In 1981, Ronnie D'Addario wrote this song, "Falling For Love" and sent his recording of it to A&M Records for the Carpenters. Word got back to him that Richard liked the song and his recording. So they recorded it with Karen laying down the work lead, guide track. It wasn't finished during Karen's lifetime (like a lot of songs) but Richard obviously doesn't deem this one fit enough for release. Either way i'd still love to hear it after hearing the recording by Ronnie. It sounds very much like a perfect song for Karen & Richard.

Take a listen:

I've never heard this before. I can absolutely hear Karen singing this. Maybe with Richard's discovery of and recent familiarity with Izotope, maybe we'll get to hear some of these things that had flaws that Richard couldn't clean up before...if that's indeed the issue here.

Ed

Cool...I can actually hear how Karen and Richard might have used their signature (doubling & tripling of voices) in the background of this song.

Take a listen:

if this is true the only time it could have been recorded in April '82. I'm intrigued. . .what's your source Simon?

Having listened to the track a couple of times now, I don’t think it’s any better or more memorable than most of the mediocre tracks they recorded during the MIA sessions. Based on the fact that Richard mirrored the arrangement on most of the demos he heard from 1977 onwards, I don’t believe this would have been a hit for them, had they finished and released it.

if this is true the only time it could have been recorded in April '82. I'm intrigued. . .what's your source Simon?

The writer put some details in the description of the YouTube video and I've recently befriended him on fb. If wondered for a while about what was recorded in 1982. There are a few on the burried treasures list from 1982, is it possible that there was other recording sessions in early 1982? Could these "treasures" have been recorded during the same time as "Now" and "You're Enough"? ...

As was one of Karen's favourite quotes:

"We start out with the answers, and we end up with the questions"

There are a few on the burried treasures list from 1982, is it possible that there was other recording sessions in early 1982? Could these "treasures" have been recorded during the same time as "Now" and "You're Enough"? ...

The only recording sessions with Karen that took place in 1982 were in the two weeks in April when she was home on a break from her treatment, so any tracks containing her vocals would have been recorded in that short timeframe. It is always possible other tracks were laid down by Richard during the rest of the year while Karen was still in treatment, but they would contain no KC lead vocals.

Last edited:
Richard confirmed to Paul Grein in a 1983 Billboard interview that ‘four sides were recorded’ in April, 1982. That would indicate that 2 other tracks remain in the vault from that particular session. Makes perfect sense that one could be ‘Fallin’ For Love’. It sounds like a great song for Karen if it is indeed one of the two songs remaining.

Richard confirmed to Paul Grein in a 1983 Billboard interview that ‘four sides were recorded’ in April, 1982. That would indicate that 2 other tracks remain in the vault from that particular session. Makes perfect sense that one could be ‘Fallin’ For Love’. It sounds like a great song for Karen if it is indeed one of the two songs remaining.

According to the burried treasures list 1982 saw the following songs recorded:

- Falling For Love
- Fool Me (Richard on lead)
- Love You Through And Through
- Some Guys Have All The Luck *
- Stop Me

*this title would suggest to me that Richard is on lead vocals. But that still means 5 songs if you add Now & You're Enough

What are the chances we will ever hear Karen's lead on these?

I know that not everything is perhaps worthy of becoming a "carpenters song" to enter the 'canon' so to speak, but those of us who admire and appreciate Karen's voice would be happy to hear her take on just about anything, even if it wasn't the finished version or fully complete.

I’d love to hear all those from 1975. I’d really like to hear them all, but mostly those.

Take a listen:

I was just listening to that. Does that Ronnie guy ever sound like Richard, even the Richard of the 2010’s. It would be interesting to hear both Karen and Richard do leads on the track.

- Some Guys Have All The Luck *
- Stop Me

*this title would suggest to me that Richard is on lead vocals. But that still means 5 songs if you add Now & You're Enough

My understanding is that Stop Me is also a Richard lead vocal. That would leave the following as the four tracks Richard talked to Paul Green about:

Now
You’re Enough
Falling For Love
Love You Though And Through

I would like all the remaining tracks recorded by the Carpenters in 1982 released, no matter who sang lead on them. I love Karen's lead vocals and really enjoy hearing Richard sing lead, too. What matters most is that it's a Carpenter singing lead and the other sibling is lending support vocally and musically. That's the magic of the Carpenters to me.

I would like all the remaining tracks recorded by the Carpenters in 1982 released, no matter who sang lead on them. I love Karen's lead vocals and really enjoy hearing Richard sing lead, too. What matters most is that it's a Carpenter singing lead and the other sibling is lending support vocally and musically. That's the magic of the Carpenters to me.

The problem is that the 1982 tracks have no background harmonies as all they contain are work leads which had to be embellished with the OK chorale, so to me that Carpenters overdubbed sound isn’t present on any of these or most of the MIA outtakes.

The problem is that the 1982 tracks have no background harmonies as all they contain are work leads which had to be embellished with the OK chorale, so to me that Carpenters overdubbed sound isn’t present on any of these or most of the MIA outtakes.
The OK chorale could be replaced with an updated Carpettes.

Back
Top Bottom