Fallout Shelter by Herb (Dore) Alpert

Discussion in 'The Beat of The Brass: Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass' started by Steven J. Gross, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Steven J. Gross

Steven J. Gross Well-Known Member Thread Starter

It's a great single that has a new timely vibe. Any details about this track?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  2. It was the flip side to "Tell It To The Birds" on the Dot label.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Steven J. Gross likes this.
  3. Steven J. Gross

Here it is on Carnival Records as well

4. Steven J. Gross

I wonder who controls it's rights today?

5. I believe it came out on Herb and Jerry's Carnival label locally in Los Angeles and then Wink Martindale bought the rights for the rest of the country and that's when it went to Dot. Another Carnival Records demanded that Herb & Jerry cease and desist using the Carnival name so they switched to A&M Records.

6. Steven J. Gross

It would make a good instrumental too, good for a trumpet imo...

7. Mr Bill

Mr Bill Lego Master Model Builder Moderator

Given that is was on Herb and Jerry's label, and depending on the deal with Dot, I imagine they still retain rights to it. You'll notice the record number is "Carnival 701" and by the time "703" came along "Carnival" was "A&M." If memory serves (my references are boxed up) #702 was also Carnival and was by a fellow named Charlie Robinson (Love is Back in Style / Peppermint Twist). I only heard it once long ago, but IIRC it was in the vein of Sam Cooke or George McCurn.

--Mr Bill

8. I just got a remaining Dore Alpert record that I'd searched for for years, "I'd Do It All Again" b/w "Special Kind Of Love" (A&M 729). I'd made myself a digital copy of someone else's original 45 years ago, but until today, I've never been able to find a 45 of my very own. This one's not the cleanest record, but it'll do.

This is someone else's copy on YouTube:

9. By the way, the flip side, "Special Kind Of Love" has a version by Dante and The Evergreens posted on YouTube. Sounds just like Herb/Dore's!

10. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

Congrats I've heard this on YouTube 6 years ago and I loved it and I think it should have been a hit it does have kind of "a wall of sound influence" in a way. It's a Great record.