Fallout Shelter by Herb (Dore) Alpert

It was the flip side to "Tell It To The Birds" on the Dot label.

R-5673545-1399566672-1514.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
I believe it came out on Herb and Jerry's Carnival label locally in Los Angeles and then Wink Martindale bought the rights for the rest of the country and that's when it went to Dot. Another Carnival Records demanded that Herb & Jerry cease and desist using the Carnival name so they switched to A&M Records.

I wonder who controls it's rights today?

Given that is was on Herb and Jerry's label, and depending on the deal with Dot, I imagine they still retain rights to it. You'll notice the record number is "Carnival 701" and by the time "703" came along "Carnival" was "A&M." If memory serves (my references are boxed up) #702 was also Carnival and was by a fellow named Charlie Robinson (Love is Back in Style / Peppermint Twist). I only heard it once long ago, but IIRC it was in the vein of Sam Cooke or George McCurn.

--Mr Bill

I just got a remaining Dore Alpert record that I'd searched for for years, "I'd Do It All Again" b/w "Special Kind Of Love" (A&M 729). I'd made myself a digital copy of someone else's original 45 years ago, but until today, I've never been able to find a 45 of my very own. This one's not the cleanest record, but it'll do.

This is someone else's copy on YouTube:

By the way, the flip side, "Special Kind Of Love" has a version by Dante and The Evergreens posted on YouTube. Sounds just like Herb/Dore's!

I just got a remaining Dore Alpert record that I'd searched for for years, "I'd Do It All Again" b/w "Special Kind Of Love" (A&M 729). I'd made myself a digital copy of someone else's original 45 years ago, but until today, I've never been able to find a 45 of my very own. This one's not the cleanest record, but it'll do.

This is someone else's copy on YouTube:

Congrats I've heard this on YouTube 6 years ago and I loved it and I think it should have been a hit it does have kind of "a wall of sound influence" in a way. It's a Great record.

Back
Top Bottom