Fandango - Shout Factory CD release scheduled for 2/19/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Received mine yesterday, in one word Awesome! Cranked it up on my Sunfire Ultimate, Marantz CD-6004 & Polk RTi7s. Route 101 (one of my favorites) is absolutely stunning! :)

This afternoon, a UPS truck stopped in front of my house. The driver walked through four inches of snow and delivered Herb Alpert's "Fandango" compact disc to my doorstep. Until today (22 February 2013) this CD was my definition of the "one that got away."

In the spring of 1991, I was thumbing through the cut-out CD's at a Camelot Music store. It was there I spotted the "Fandango" CD, which was listed at $6.99. At the time I thought "Herb owns the label--I'll see it again," and passed on buying it. Little did I know at the time Herb sold the label and that disc was difficult to locate. Over the years I would casually look for it but always came up short. It was a decade ago I learned the disc was going for crazy money on e-bay and other sites.

Record release dates aren't that important to me these days, but this reissue was an exception. I will echo the comments from the others here--the recording sounds great!

FANDANGO was definitely one that got away from many folks. I was one of the lucky ones to grab it when I saw it. But there are still a couple that got away from me. I've never found a genuine CD of THE BRASS ARE COMIN' or BEYOND. In fact I never knew they existed until I checked in here to A&M Corner.

I did end up with a counterfeit version of BEYOND that's a pretty good fake until you look closely at it - and it sounds fine - but still, it's not the real deal.

One more comment. Two tracks from the album, "Fandango" and "Route 101" have shown up on some compilations, CLASSICS VOL 20 and DEFINITIVE HITS, and while I can say that DEFINITIVE HITS sounds just a tad better than the CLASSICS 20 or even the original FANDANGO release, this new one trumps them all. It's that good.

Harry

One noticeable thing I've noticed is how the percussion is a bit more up front. On "Fandango" I noticed how a cowbell is more dominant on beats 2 and 4, which is different from the original CD & LP. I'll listen to it a bit more thoroughly in the next couple of days.

Capt. Bacardi

One noticeable thing I've noticed is how the percussion is a bit more up front. On "Fandango" I noticed how a cowbell is more dominant on beats 2 and 4, which is different from the original CD & LP. I'll listen to it a bit more thoroughly in the next couple of days.
Capt. Bacardi

Yep. I've noticed that whenever Julius' marimba appears, it seems to have more punch in the mix than before.

Harry

I will have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday. Barnes & Noble can't deliver the CD yet.:shock: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I hadn't heard the album in full for at least 20 years. Since I only had the LP and never did pick up the original CD, my listening from this album had been confined to "Route 101" from other CDs, plus "Coco Loco" from a needle drop. I found myself really enjoying some of the songs I'd not really cared for as much the first time around.

I still like "Coco" the best of all the songs. It would have made a great Tijuana Brass track. It's in my top five favorite post-Brass recordings from Herb.

One thing that struck me when listening was that the drums and synths really gave the album an '80s-ish sound, such that this album doesn't seem to have the timeless quality of the earlier TJB recordings. It seems to reveal its era more than some of Herb's music does. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just something I noticed.

I will echo what's been said above....the sound on the new CD is terrific.

I wasn't too impressed with the liner notes this time. Herb's essay is the best part.

One thing that struck me when listening was that the drums and synths really gave the album an '80s-ish sound, such that this album doesn't seem to have the timeless quality of the earlier TJB recordings. It seems to reveal its era more than some of Herb's music does. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just something I noticed.
I will echo what's been said above....the sound on the new CD is terrific.
I wasn't too impressed with the liner notes this time. Herb's essay is the best part.

I agree that the sound is terrific, and I also agree that the liner notes are nothing special, with the exception of Herb's personal contribution.
However, as for the drums and synths nullifying any 'timeless' quality of the music, I must disagree. Timelessness is open to interpretation, according to each individual perspective, and as for me... FANDANGO has become a standard in my book. I realize that some might say that the opening drumriffs and the synths make it sound 'dated'. But then again,... one could just as easily claim that much of the late 60s TJB recordings sound 'dated' according to present day standards. I said once before that this album was Herb Alpert's 'masterpiece', and I stand by this statement. It is a perfect blend of the Latin sound along with the modern polish and technology of Herb's 80s work. And I am SO GLAD that others can finally enjoy this album again in it's entirety as I have.

Fandango arrives.
I got my copy of the new FANDANGO in today's mail, and the word everyone is using is "excellent", and I have to concur. This is first class all the way, as one would expect from the always reliable Mr. Alpert. As one of the fortunate ones who's had FANDANGO on CD since its 1988 debut in that format, I can clearly hear a big difference in the mastering. The older CD, while good for its time, doesn't have the kick that the new one does. It's not just loudness or a bass boost either. There's some extra "magic" in these old tracks, and Bernie Grundman and Randy Badazz have worked their own brand of magic to find it.

Packaging:
As mentioned earlier, the digipak from Shout is made with a shinier cardboard, mimicking the shinier material that A&M released the vinyl album in back in 1982. It adds an extra sheen to the Richard Avedon black & white photo that graces the cover along with the flaming red Fandango logo. The included booklet is less glossy, but in line with the others in the Herb Alpert Signature Series that were released in the past decade. And the pattern continues with the liner notes. First you get a page with new notes from Herb, then a page reprinting the original liner notes, and then an essay by Gene Sculatti (instead of Josh Kun), all followed up with album credits new and old. The back page, as usual, is a reprint from a vinyl album. An interesting inclusion here is that it's reprinted from a Canadian copy of FANDANGO. You can just make out the tiny French printing at the bottom. The disc face is red colored with the pale colored Fandango logo angled up, with the Herb Alpert Signature Series logo at the top in an ochre color. Fine print is in white.

Audio:
The sound is just top-notch all the way, as these old tunes get new life on this wonderful remaster.

Highly recommended (as if anyone on this board needs a recommendation!).

Harry

Hi Harry-

I had a feeling that you and others would like the sound of "Fandango." When you preserve the tapes and have artists like Bernie, you can take the sound of the music to a new level. Once we get the FLAC files out Im thinking you might just like how they sound. I think I mentioned before that I had not heard the "Beyond" album in 25+ years. After we preserved the original 2 trk mixes and had Bernie remaster the album, I couldn't believe how great it sounded. Much better then I remember it sounding when we were mixing it in Studio B at A&M in 1980. Well,,,, happy to hear that you and others like "Fandango."

Thanks Randy. I've posted essentially the same review several other places too, including Amazon, in an effort to get the word out. Just doing my small part...

We'll be anxious to check out those FLAC files. I'm sure fearless-leader Rudy will guide us in how to get the most out of them on our meager home setups.

Harry

Randy thank you for answering my response. that blossom music center is still there. ususally they would tear down some music venues. but blossom music center is still there. one quick question that fandango commerical that is on herb's web site with stan freberg. will that be avabible to buy it on line. I would like to get that one. so again Randy thanks again. and keep up doing such excellent work and with fandango as everyone is saying including myself the sound quality is excellent thanks again.
take care
bob

one could just as easily claim that much of the late 60s TJB recordings sound 'dated' according to present day standards.
I'm not so sure about that.... the TJB records sounded completely different from everything else at the time they were made.

Like I said, my comments weren't meant to denigrate Fandango -- I was just saying that I was surprised how much it "sounds like the '80s" -- moreso than I had remembered. Whereas most the TJB records (especially from Whipped Cream forward) don't really "sound like the '60s" to me, compared to other music from that time.

Either way it's still a great album.

Hi Harry-

I had a feeling that you and others would like the sound of "Fandango." When you preserve the tapes and have artists like Bernie, you can take the sound of the music to a new level. Once we get the FLAC files out Im thinking you might just like how they sound. I think I mentioned before that I had not heard the "Beyond" album in 25+ years. After we preserved the original 2 trk mixes and had Bernie remaster the album, I couldn't believe how great it sounded. Much better then I remember it sounding when we were mixing it in Studio B at A&M in 1980. Well,,,, happy to hear that you and others like "Fandango."

If it comes in 24/96...I will find a way to bronze those FLAC files and mount 'em on the wall. :D That would make a sweet 180g vinyl release also. I still spin the LP and the CD pretty much gathers cobwebs at this point. I'm anxious to hear the new mastering! The added "punch" to me almost hints that it is made from the 2-channel mixdown as opposed to an LP master.

I ordered my "Fandango" CD from Amazon yesterday! I can't wait for it to arrive in the mail.Siegel

Shere Siegel
I got my "Fandango" cd in today's mail from Amazon.com Just finished listening to it & all I can say it's just fantastic! The sound is wonderful & I can't wait to get all the other cds that are going to be re-issued by Herb & Randy!! Thanks guys.

Shere Siegel

Think You will be disappointed Shere - the opinion seems to be that there will be no more CD releases - just music downloads from Herb's new website. But You never know, there may be more CD's from Shout Factory in the future perhaps.

Dave.....

Probably lots depends on those Fandango sales (and all the rest of the catalog too). So ... encourage your friends to buy 'em, or give a set as a gift!

I'M CONFUSED...

"Once we get the FLAC files out Im thinking you might just like how they sound. I think I mentioned before that I had not heard the "Beyond" album in 25+ years. After we preserved the original 2 trk mixes and had Bernie remaster the album, I couldn't believe how great it sounded. Much better then I remember it sounding when we were mixing it in Studio B at A&M in 1980. Well,,,, happy to hear that you and others like "Fandango"

Isn't the current download of Beyond using MP3 files. Should one wait for FLAC files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom