‘FAR AWAY’ a song by LANI HALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Forum Members,

At the Sergio Mendes produced BOSSA RIO ‘LIVE IN JAPAN’ 1970 recording, the song FAR AWAY is listed. Written by Bossa Rio’s bassist OCTAVIO BAILLY and LANI HALL.
This was an original Blue Thumb release but later reissued on A&M.
On this live recording João Donato was succesor of Osmar Milito as pianist along with Gracinha Leporace and Pery Ribeiro on vocals, Ronnie Mesquita on drums and the late Manfredo Fest on Organ (he was a killer pianist in his own right).
The song FAR AWAY is not on the second Bossio Rio Alegria album
Blue Thumb release.

I am curious about the song FAR WAY I never heard the BOSSA RIO ‘LIVE IN JAPAN album as well as the ALEGRIA album. I hope it will be released on CD in the NEAR FUTURE!

Lani already makes here marks with bassists as songwriting is concerned, Salt Sea, and Song of No Regrets with Brasil 66 bassist Sebastioão Neto along with Oscar Castro Neves. Her English lyrics on Edu lobo song Pradizer Adeus (To say Goodbye) are great.

BTW, Blue Thumb records was founded by Bob Kraznov and Tommy LiPuma. Tommy LiPuma an old Industry veteran and nowdays at the helm at the Verve Music group, involded in rocketing the recording careers of George Benson, Diana Krall, Natalie Cole, Michael Franks and many more.
Started with Liberty Records in the early sixties as promo man, Tommy LiPuma was a staff A&R member of A&M records in the sixties and later on Vice-President of A&R at Horizon/A&M records, Vice President of Jazz/Fusion at Warner Bros records and later Vice President of Elektra records under (again) Elektra}s Chairman Bob Kraznov.

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

All the best

Far Away is a nice number with some unusual changes, somewhat reminiscent (to me, anyway) of Milton's Vera Cruz. I don't think the "Live" album was ever released on Blue Thumb, however (I could be wrong). I believe it was a Japan-only release on King, IIRC (not near my LPs right now).

My bad--it is on Blue Thumb. Sorry! (Just remembered in getting this out that both Sergio and Gracinha signed very heartfelt inscriptions inside the gatefold for me).

Went back this morning and listened again for the first time in several years--a couple of addenda: the intro is actually very reminiscent of Zazueira, with a repeated #9 chord, and the lyric is very reminiscent of Lani's "translation" of Crystal Illusions, with lots of "I'll fly away"'s and "I'll stay"'s. :)

JMK said:
Went back this morning and listened again for the first time in several years--a couple of addenda: the intro is actually very reminiscent of Zazueira, with a repeated #9 chord, and the lyric is very reminiscent of Lani's "translation" of Crystal Illusions, with lots of "I'll fly away"'s and "I'll stay"'s. :)

Dear JMK,

Nice you have that LP in your collection.
I think it's hard to obtain this recording, cross our fingers to ever will be released in CD format.
I'm curious about it!

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

Aqua do Brasil said:
Dear Forum Members,

BTW, Blue Thumb records was founded by Bob Kraznov and Tommy LiPuma. Tommy LiPuma an old Industry veteran and nowdays at the helm at the Verve Music group, involded in rocketing the recording careers of George Benson, Diana Krall, Natalie Cole, Michael Franks and many more.
Started with Liberty Records in the early sixties as promo man, Tommy LiPuma was a staff A&R member of A&M records in the sixties and later on Vice-President of A&R at Horizon/A&M records, Vice President of Jazz/Fusion at Warner Bros records and later Vice President of Elektra records under (again) Elektra}s Chairman Bob Kraznov.

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

All the best

Dear Forum members,

Is anyone aware about the fact that Tommy LiPuma as an A&M reords A&R staff member was responsable for the recording career of the SANDPIPERS? It was his first major project from the start on.

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil
Code:
[*]

I love the Bossa Rio Live At Expo '70 album. As a matter of fact, I had a bit of fun with it...working with Dad's old reel-to-reel, I mixed the Bossa Rio and Brasil '66 concerts together -- Brasil '66 following Bossa. It took a bit of tweaking, as I recorded quite a bit of applause to cover the transition. But, it worked, and I listen to it often...almost as if you're there.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom