Favorite Artists With 5 Albums Or Less

tomswift2002

So this is kind of the opposite of the thread about artists with the most albums that you have in your collection, to the artists that you like, but only released 5 studio/live (no greatest hits) albums or fewer.

Also, you can only count the album once, so if the album was released on LP, cassette, 8-track, CD and digital, then its counted as one, not 5.

So my favorites are:

The Hardy Boys Here Come The Hardy Boys (1969) & Wheels (1970).

Prism Yellow; Red , Blue, Green (1986-1989)

Silverwind Silverwind (1980), A Song In The Night (1982), By His Spirit (1985), Set Apart (1986)

I have a handful--here's one to start with. The first one that comes to mind is Donald Fagen--he has only four studio albums. The live albums he appears on are part of multi-artist gigs, so I don't really count those as it's not a complete album of his music. There was also a separate disc of b-sides and non-album tracks in one of his box sets that were almost enough to make a complete fifth album, but that won't count.

Another is The Time. Officially under the band name The Time, they released four albums (The Time, What Time Is It?, Ice Cream Castles, Pandemonium). But after a dispute in ownership of the band's name with Prince's organization, the original seven members cut a fifth album under the name The Original 7even (Condensate).

Eyeballed quiet a few from the '60s rock/pop bag:
  • Buffalo Springfield
  • The Jimi Hendrix Experience
  • The Left Banke
  • Cream
  • The Loving Spoonful
  • The Turtles
  • The Mothers of Invention
  • Harper's Bizarre
  • The Cyrkle
  • Fred Neil
  • Love
  • Moby Grape
  • Spanky & Our Gang
  • Simon & Garfunkel
  • Velvet Underground
  • The Modern Folk Quartet
  • Small Faces
  • The Beau Brummels

Wow! Too many to list in a single post... And we're just sticking with albums, apparently... a butt ton more with only a handful of 45s under their belt are out there as well.

I'll start with Skafish, with two albums for my beloved I.R.S. Records: Skafish (1980) and Conversation (1983). (Technically there are 5 if you include a mid-80s indy cassette and a jazz Christmas disc more than two decades later and a demo collection CD of recordings pre-1980 a few years ago).

So I'll stick with just A&M and I.R.S. for this post...
Henry Badowski Life is a Grand...
Despite Badazz's negative comments on it, his sole LP with "Rise" co-writer Andy Armer, RandyAndy, is the epitome of white-boy funk!
Suburban Lawns first and only LP, Suburban Lawns and its follow up Ep Baby are hyperkinetically great fun.
Speaking pf hyperkinetic fun, Klark Kent's one album Musical Madness from the Kinetic Kid (on 10" green vinyl no less) will get your toes tapping. Who is Klark Kent? Police drummer Stewart Copeland knows who he is!

Almost all of these have a presence on You Tube, so check 'em out.

More later!

--Mr Bill

I'd have to go with Simon & Gatfunkel as "favoite". They only released five proper studio albums, and I've spent a good deal of time listening to them over the years.

As a two-album wonder, I'll go with The Poppy Family. Susan Jacks' vocals were almost as expressive as Karen Carpenter's, and husband Terry Jacks' songs fit her style perfectly.

One artist that I really like has only two albums that I know of but I never saw the second one anywhere.
This is British opera singer Louise Tucker. I have the lp of Midnight Blue(two copies) and I loved hearing the title song when it was released as a single.
It did not get very high on the charts but it got a tremendous amount of airplay. The only time I ever saw the Midnight Blue album was in a cut out bin when I bought it.

Another artist that should have had more hits and albums was It's A Beautiful Day. I only have the self titled debut but it is a great album.

One artist which rode on the Coatails of Mannheim steamroller was the short-lived group headed by Drummer Ric Swanson called "Urban Surrender" it was a very early smooth jazz group and only released 3 albums the first 2 were " Urban Surrender" from 1985 and Windsock from 1987 both on Chip Davis's American Gramaphone label the 3rd and final one was "Renewal" from 1989 on the defunct Optimism label its sad that they didn't get the recognition that I felt they deserved but with only 3 albums to their credit and very hard to get as they've been long out of print they are worth keeping

Back
Top Bottom