Favorite Carpenters 'era' ?

Which is your favourite 'era' of Carpenters?

• 1965-1969

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • 1970-1971

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • 1972-1973

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • 1974-1975

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • 1976-1978

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • 1979-1983

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • 1984-present day

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
Again, with the earlier era, 1972's Bacharach Medley--
as performed Live in Australia, is absolutely mesmerizing.
Again, I focus on Karen's drumming, here:
Absolutely no reason to ever have pulled her away from the drums--
either live or in the studio, as her drumming ( as with her vocals)--
only got better as the years progressed....

I'm with you on the Australia Bacharach Medley. The whole bit was flawless and Karen's vocals on Make It Easy On Yourself, well...PERFECT comes to mind. As with their 1st hit single in the summer of 1970, I'm with Agnes Carpenter, they should've used Karen on drums for the recording. She could've pulled it off, and as good as Hal Blaine is, it wasn't a drum intensive song. I don't think the song would've suffered with Karen on drums for the recording. As far as Karen being out front, I can see why their "management" would want that. More than not, Richard was on the periphery of the stage and 5'5'' Karen was buried behind her kit. They needed a focal point, and her on lead vocals made it easy to select her (plus she wasn't bad to look at). She was very self-conscience at first performing out in front, but in time I believe she became a very good stage performer and really enjoyed all the "love" the audience would give her. It would be interesting to see what would've transpired if Karen had handled all the studio and concert drum work.

And, yet again, as I watch the 1973 White House concert,
I am simply astounded at how fantastic this performance was !
And, yet again, not to keep "beating the same ol' drum,"
Karen's drumming and vocals (simultaneously)
are breathlessly flawless.
Has anyone from that room--who witnessed that concert--
written about it ? (Say, Henry Kissinger....)
What it was like to be in that room...hearing that voice ?

And, yet again, as I watch the 1973 White House concert,
I am simply astounded at how fantastic this performance was !
And, yet again, not to keep "beating the same ol' drum,"
Karen's drumming and vocals (simultaneously)
are breathlessly flawless.
Has anyone from that room--who witnessed that concert--
written about it ? (Say, Henry Kissinger....)
What it was like to be in that room...hearing that voice ?

Since Tricia Nixon Cox and Julie Nixon Eisenhower would be in the prime age group to be Carpenters fans, you would think at least one of them (if not both) would be in attendance that night. But I have searched for any kind of quote from them about it on the internet and came up empty. For such a high profile event at that time, there should be more material published concerning it. But any information online concerning their appearance, seems to be very limited. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

PS: Only Karen Carpenter could get away with yelling "Heehaw!" before singing Top of The World at a White House state dinner...

Again, with the earlier era, 1972's Bacharach Medley--
as performed Live in Australia, is absolutely mesmerizing.
Again, I focus on Karen's drumming, here:
Absolutely no reason to ever have pulled her away from the drums--
either live or in the studio, as her drumming ( as with her vocals)--
only got better as the years progressed....
I thought it was so cool to see a girl playing drums at the time. I had to go re-watch the Bacharach medley from that show again. Superb! And she looked so genuinely joyful playing and singing - just beautiful. I would have been so disappointed to attend a Carpenters concert and not see her play drums!

Back
Top Bottom