favorite CarpenterS x-mas songs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

I have a few favorite songs that I have to say are some of the best ever recorded.....Have Yourself a Merry...Karen's delivery is exquisite. Little Altar Boy...Santa Claus is Comin'...Merry X-mas Darling...

What would y'all say is Karen's finest X-mas moment?

Jeff

I'd agree with the obvious "Merry Christmas Darling" (original), and "Little Altar Boy", but the one that really grabs my attention is "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town", with that long, drawn-out deep note on "...town."

Harry
...just back from the office Christmas party, online...

Harry said:
... but the one that really grabs my attention is "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town", with that long, drawn-out deep note on "...town."

That's a favorite of mine just for the different arrangement. Although I'd had Carpenters music before, this was the first Xmas song of theirs I'd ever heard.

...just back from the office Christmas party, online...

You can take off that lampshade now...

I Heard the Bells on Christmas day is often overlooked, but Karen hits a low Db at the last stanza of this song, and it moves the earth.

First Snowfall and Sleep Well Little Children are other favorites of mine along with the others that are mentioned by those in past posts.

Craig

CraigGA said:
I Heard the Bells on Christmas day is often overlooked, but Karen hits a low Db at the last stanza of this song, and it moves the earth.

Has anyone else noticed that Karen mispronounces "Christendom" as Christiandom? Other than that little goof, it's a great performance.

Aside from the songs already mentioned in this thread, another favourite of mine is Christ is Born. That last "Alleluia" never fails to amaze me. Major chills!

Murray

Mine is "Merry x'mas Darling". I was lucky to be able to get the single in vinyl at an antique shop 5 years ago . :confused:

whoops..wrong group (fab four) LOL..here our my top four in order of preference:

1) Merry Christmas, Darling (later version..I prefer the more mature Karen)
2) Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (Karen makes anything sound sultry; incredible arrangement)
3) Ave Maria (Karen's voice is heavenly)
4) Little Altar Boy (Karen captures the despair so well)

"The Christmas Song" - one of my most favorite Carpenters recordings overall as well. The opening 'Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...' is always goosebump city for me. Among the warmest vocals I've ever heard any artist sing.

Very comparable to Nat "King" Cole's original, IMO.

mr. J

as for the "x" in xmas...

perhaps you've seen the christian symbol that looks like a cross but is an x with what looks like a p going through it. in greek, christos, the name for christ, is abbreviated with the first two greek letters, the chi and rho, which, look like an x and a p.

it's considered very acceptable to abbreviate christmas as xmas with the x standing for christ. few, however, realize the derivation and its connection with christ's name. rather than detract from the "christ" in christmas, it honors the name.

Aside from Carpenters Singles Classics , MCD , Santa Claus , The Christmas Song , Little Altar Boy, there are several less well compiled,well known ? songs that are favourites :

Sleep Well Little Children -Beautiful Lullaby

Christmas Waltz-Great Karen Opening Vocal For CP Album.

He Came Here For Me -Simple Arrangement , Wonderful Karen Vocal.

Do You Hear What I Hear -Great KC / RC Vocals & Harmonies

O Holy Night -Moving Richard Instrumental Version.

Carol Of The Bells -Great Arrangement and RC Keyboards.

Let It Snow -Uplifting , Fun Karen Vocal.

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas-One of Karen's Finest Interpretations and Carpenters Classic.

Both Christmas Albums are Essentials both as part of Carpenters Catalog and as two of the best Seasonal Albums Released :D

Peter....Looking Forward To Replaying Both Albums ........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom