Favorite Session Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glen Campbell (as well as Sonny Bono) actually started off doing Session Work... I think once they knew the business well enough and had material to actually make records with, that's when they stepped out on their own, though Sonny, of course, teamed up with Cher, so with him producing her albums and working with her more extensively, (as well as marrying her) his playing behind other artists became a lot less...

I got to meet at least one Studio Guy, who regularly fronts his own band, Tony Levin... He was a member of King Crimson, too, and claims he "fell into studio work when it started, fell out as it was finishing"...

I met Eric Weisberg and Warren Bernhardt, too; they tour with Art Garfunkel... And Jimmie Haskell conducted symphony orchestras in appearances by Jose Feliciano... Most notable was the Nashville Symphony Orchestra one time in 2004, with whom I saw Jose preforming with and Jimmie conducting, whom I had met these two both in particular...

Dave

We neglected to mention that Phil Bodner is yet another Session Musician who has also recorded on his own... Or, rather, was a Recording Artist-turned-Studio Sideman...

Dave

Did anybody mention the BMB's Dave Wells as a horn man? He did a lot of work with Don Ellis, which means he had to have some serious chops...

Dan

Good pick-up. But weren't many of the guys, who played with and formed the BMB, studio players at some time or another?

Take care...

George

Hey, Dave:

I heard somewhere, back in the distant past, that Roy Clark did some studio work, too, in Nashville. Do you know if he did?

Take care...

George

MoonGeorgeDog said:
I heard somewhere, back in the distant past, that Roy Clark did some studio work, too, in Nashville. Do you know if he did?

Well, that I never knew, but I'm sure there's a possibility he had... A Biography on Roy Clark would really be the only way to know...

Dave

Tony-toeknee4bz said:
Regarding Ian Freebairn-Smith: BG Vocals? Don't know much about the guy, but I do know that he composed the original (orchestral) "Theme from MAGNUM, P.I." used only in the series' first season. Not to be confused with the synth-rock style theme by Mike Post, which would carry the show for the following seven seasons...

Well, Ian's music arrangement credits were a lot more prominent than his background vocals, in his studio man-behind-the-scenes days...

I believe he arranged Phil Ochs' A&M album, Pleasures Of The Harbor and perhaps his A&M follow-up's: Tape From California, Rehearsals For Retirement and Greatest Hits... Not sure if it was only one song, or a few, or the entire album, in the case of Phil's first album I saw the "Arranged by Ian Freebairn-Smith" credit on... Ochs' A&M Career was produced by Larry Marks, who for a number of artists, frequently headed up Production for them on the A&M label...

Dave

Ian Fairbairn-Smith also arranged Larry Marks "LA Breakdown (And Take Me In)" single, B/W "(It's All Over Now) Country Woman", which Marks pronbably arranged himself; nobody else is listed...

His succeeding single "Up On The High Side Of Life" was arranged by Nick De Caro; have this as a double-sided white-label pormotional single without its B-Side, "River Ride"...

One more single came from Marks, "Move", slightly re-written and retitled as "Only In The Movies" done by The Alan Copeland Conspiracy, B/W "Home" recorded by Denny Brooks... I don't know if Fairbairn-Smith arranged these two or not; this single is hard to find...

Al Capps is also a background singer-trurned musical arranger, himself... He's got more musical arrangement credits than listings under "background vocals", although he started off in the Anita Kerr-styled group, The Eligibles...

Dave

Yeah... This is what I'm talking about! A wealth of trivia that I've been oblivious to all these years. Keep 'em coming! :D

Tony

Dave said:
Er, I will...

Dave
:confused:

I sense some confusion on your part. Sorry if I caused this. Allow me to clarify: The posts regarding Ian Freebairn-Smith are obviously enlightening to me. Musicians such as these (which were all-but unbeknownst to me) are the reason I started this thread. Hence the enthusiasm. :D

Thanks for the info.

Tony

Whoa, was this an instance where it WAS really OK to clutter my Post with "Smileys"?????? :o

Sorry, Tony, it seems as though I really did mislead you... :oops: :laugh:

Yes, finding, and of course Posting my Musical Trivia Bits on this Board is actually a Labor of LOVE! :love:

I'll cheerfully and enthusiastically keep 'em comin'!!!!!! :tongue:artyhat:

Dave :)

Love those smileys!!! :D :) :wink: It's amazing how they clear up any confusion in dictation...

Hey, ever heard of a harmonica great from Belgium named Toots Thielemans? I haven't thought of him in a while, and I remembered the other day that he has graced the credits of Quincy Jones' THE DUDE album ("Velas"), as well as Billy Joel's AN INNOCENT MAN album ("Leave A Tender Moment Alone"). This guy's gotta be about 140 years old and plays harmonica so well he could give Stevie Wonder a run for the money! I could swear I've heard him somewhere else, but I can't remember where.

Tony

Y'know I should'a put Jean "Toots" Thielemans down; under New York Session Musicians, perhaps...

Guess it's not too late... (Scroll Up!)
up.gif

Dave

Bass – Chuck Berghofer

For starters, he was a member of “The Pete Jolly Trio”. He’s played with so many others, it would be a chore to list them all.

All the best,
Mike

You all seem to have missed Leon Russell, who was a session musician throughout most of the Tijuana Brass's existence, and who played on many of their recordings. Not unlike Jerry Reed, Toots Thielmans and many others, he had success as a solo artist, after which he ceased to be a "session musician" and started "guesting" on other people's records. :wink:

dostros said:
You all seem to have missed Leon Russell, who was a session musician throughout most of the Tijuana Brass's existence, and who played on many of their recordings. :wink:

Whaaaat??? You gotta be kidding... Talk to me! :) What album?

Tony

toeknee4bz said:
dostros said:
You all seem to have missed Leon Russell, who was a session musician throughout most of the Tijuana Brass's existence, and who played on many of their recordings. :wink:

Whaaaat??? You gotta be kidding... Talk to me! :) What album?

Tony

There's a thread on here somewhere discussing Leon's involvement. He definitely played on the early stuff with Tommy Tedesco and Hal Blaine (I think). He's definitely on a Taste of Honey, and his style is unmistakable on the first BMB albums.

What is interesting is that the song "Sandbox" on Warm contains a break that sounds like classic Leon. Of course the TJB pianist could have been doing it. Nobody knows. What's tantalizing though, is that a famous Herb quote says he was first intrigued by rock music when he heard the Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour (directed, of course, by Leon) practising at A&M studios. That tour was early 1970 - Warm was 1969, if I'm not mistaken. So just maybe Leon was around to play on some TJB stuff even after his solo career had taken off.

OK, here's some solid information, from someone who was there at the time:

Pete Jolly did play piano on most of the records, after Leon Russell did the first few. Pete played on lots of A & M records during the 60’s. He’s still working here in L.A..

http://www.tijuanabrass.com/interviews/julius-wechter-visits-am-corner-1998/

Also, à propos de the Whipped Cream remix, Re-Whipped:

Boasting contributions from drummer Hal Blaine and pianist Leon Russell and loosely based on a theme of delectable edibles, Whipped Cream & Other Delights (reissued by Shout! Factory in 2005 as part of the Herb Alpert Signature Series) spent eight weeks at #1 and more than a year in the Top 10, eventually logging nearly three years in the Top 40.

http://www.tijuanabrass.com/tjb3.php

It looks, though, that Leon was still known as Russell Bridges at that time (wikipedia entry on the Whipped Cream album).

This is a good article on the Wrecking Crew, of which Leon was a member.

http://www.americanheritage.com/art...kees-hal-blaine-carol-kaye-leon-russell.shtml

[/right]

Dave said:
In NASHVILLE:

Guitars: Chet Atkins, Wayne Moss, Billy Sanford, Jerry Reed, Bobby Thompson, Marline Greene, Weldon Myrick (Steel), Steve Gibson, John Christopher, Charlie McCoy, Fred Carter, Jr., Reggie Young, Grady Martin, Pete Wade, Ray Endenton, Lloyd Green (Steel)

Bass: Norbert Putnam, Tommy Cogbill, Joe Osborn, Bob Moore, Tommy Tow, Jack Williams, Henry Strzelecki, David Hungate, Steve Schaffer, Mike Leech

Drums: Kenneth Buttrey, Larrie London, Jan Kurtis, Kenny Malone, James Stroud, Gene Crisman, Jerry Carrigan, Buddy Harman

Keyboards: Shane Keister, Alan Moore, Bobby Ogdin, Bobby Wood, Floyd Cramer, David Briggs, Larry Butler, Timmy Tappan, Hargus "Pig" Robbins

Accordian: Chuck Cochran

Percussion: Si Edwards, Farrell Morris, Diane Darling

Harmonica: Terry McMillan, Mickey Raphael, Charlie McCoy

Banjo: Bobby Thompson, Jack Hicks

Fiddle: Roy Acuff, Johnny Gimble, Buddy Spicher, Tommy Jackson

Strings: Sheldon Kurland, Brenton Banks, George Binkley III, Lennie Haight, Donald Christian Teal, Jr., Carl Gorodetzky, Stephanie Woolfe (Violins) Gary Vanosdale, Marvin Chantry, Solie Fott (Violas) Martha McCrory, Byron Bach (Cellos) Cindy Reynolds (Harp) Timmy Tappan, Bergen White, Bill Justice, Don Tweedy (Arranger/Conductor)

Horns: George Tidwell, Don Sheffield, George Cunningham (Trumpets) Gene Mullins, Roger Bissell (Trombones) Joseph Pellicuia, Jon Sanders (Saxophones)

Background Vocals: Don Gant, Buzz Cason, Larry Gatlin, Carol Montgomery, Linda & Ann Colby, Lisa Silver, Karen Taylor, Wendy Suits, Diane Tidwell, Dennis Wilson, The Nashville Edition, The Jordanaires

In LOS ANGELES:

Guitars: Dean Parks, Melvin "Wah-Wah Watson" Ragin, Louie Shelton, Don Peake, Larry Carlton, Lee Riteneour, Fred Tackett, Mike Deasy, Ben Benay, Steve Lukather, Mitch Holder, Jay Graydon, Waddy Wachtel, James Burton, Bobby Womack, Ry Cooder, Jesse Ed Davis, Jerry McGee, Tim May, Herb Ellis, Dennis Budimir, Buddy Emmons, (Steel) J.D. Maness, (Steel) Sneaky Pete Kleinow, (Steel) Orville "Red" Rhodes (Steel)

Bass: David Hungate, Joe Osborn, Henry Davis, Scott Edwards, Jerry Scheff, James Jamerson, Reinie Press, Carl Radle, Wilton Felder, Colin Cameron, Max Bennett, Carol Kaye, Bill Perry, Dee Murray, Bryan Garofalo, Willie Weeks, Leland Sklar, Abraham Laboriel, Larry Knechtel, Bob West, Chuck Berghoffer, Reggie McBride

Drums: James Gadson, John Guerin, David Kemper, Ronnie Tutt, Russ Kunkel, Nigel Olsson, Mike Baird, Rick Schlosser, Ed Greene, Ollie E. Brown, Jim Keltner, Richie Hayward, Jim Gordon, Carlos Vega, Steve Schaeffer, Earl Palmer, Rick Marrotta, Jeff Porcaro, Harvey Mason, Hal Blaine, Mike Botts

Keyboards: Craig Doerge, Lincoln Mayorga, Michael Omartian, Bill Payne, Joe Sample, Pete Jolly, Nick De Caro, Jay Gruska, Kerry Chater, Larry Knechtel, David Paich, Bobby Kimball, Perry Botkin, Jr., David Foster, Glen D. Hardin, Larry Muhouberac, Don Randi, Michael Melvoin, Mike Utley, Mike Boddicker (Synthesizer)

Accordian: Pete Jolly, Jimmie Haskell, Michael Omartian, Nick De Caro, Frank Morrocco, Carl Fortina

Percussion: Alan Estes, Gene Estes, Steve Forman, Emil Richards, Gary Coleman, Laudir DeOliveira, Paulinho Da Costa, Bobbeye Hall-Porter, Harvey Mason, Victor Feldman, King Errison

Harmonica: Tommy Morgan, Ben Benay, Henry Diltz

Banjo: Carl Jackson, Herb Pedersen, Larry McNeeley, Doug Dillard

Fiddle: Bill Cunningham, Gib Guilbeau, Bobby Bruce, Dave Boone, Richard Greene

Strings: Sid Sharp, James Getzoff, Leonard Mallarsky, Harry Bluestone, Joy Lyle, William Kurasch, Nathan Ross, Jack Shulman, Sheldon Sanov, Israel Baker, Paul Shure, Tibor Zelig, Sharri Zippart, Arnold Belnick, Bonnie Douglas (Violins) David Schwartz, Harry Hyams, Sam Boghosssian, Alan Harshman (Violas) Jerome Kessler, Jesse Ehrlich, Ed Lustgarten, Kathleen Lustgarten, Armand Kaproff (Cellos) Gayle Levant, Dorothy Ashby, Catherine Gotthoffer (Harp) Jimmie Haskell, Michael Omartian, Nick De Caro, D'Arnell Pershing, Perry Botkin, Jr. (Arranger/Conductor)

Horns: Tom Scott, Jim Horn, Gene Cipirano, Nino Tempo, William "Buddy" Collette, Steven Douglas, Don Menza, Plas Johnson, Thom Rotella, Donald Christlieb, Tom Saviano, Ernie Watts, Earl Dumler, Bud Shank, Bob Hardaway (Saxophones/Flutes) Steve Madaio, Bud Brisbois, David Duke, Paul Hubinon, Jules Chaiken, Chuck Findley, Bob Findley, Oliver Mitchell, Ray Triscari, Jimmy Zito (Trumpets) Lew McCreary, Dick Hyde, George Bohannon, Dick Leith, Milt Bernhart, Jules Jacob, Louise Blackburn, Ken Shroyer, Joe Howard (Trombones)

Background Vocals: Ginger Blake, Patrice Holloway, Brenda Holloway, Venetta Fields, Clydie King, Julia Tillman-Waters, Maxine Willard-Waters, Luther Waters, Oren Waters, John Bahler, Tom Bahler, Ron Hicklin, Al Capps, Sally Stevens, Morgan Ames, Sue Allen, Jackie Ward, Stan Loren Farber, Ian Fairbairn-Smith

In NEW YORK:

Guitars: Jeff Mironov, Hugh McCracken, Jerry Friedman, John Tropea, Elliot Randall, Sid McGuinness, David Spinozza, Eric Gale

Bass: Neil Jason, Tony Levin, Anthony Jackson, Will Lee, Chuck Rainey, Richard Davis, Billy Rich, Bob Babbitt, Willie Weeks

Drums: Bernard "Pretty" Purdie, Rick Marrotta, Alan Schwartzberg, Steve Gadd, Chris Parker, Jimmy Young, Idris Muhammed, Richard Crooks

Keyboards: Richard Tee, Pat Rebillot, Artie Butler, Don Grolnick, Paul Griffin, Warren Bernhardt, Paul Shaffer, Leon Pendarvis

Accordian: Dominec Cortese

Percussion: Ralph MacDonald, Ray Barretto, Willie Bobo, Sammy Figuroa, Rafael Cruz, Jimmy Maelen, George Devens

Harmonica: Donnie Brooks, Jean "Toots" Thielemans, Buddy Lucas

Banjo: Mark Horowitz, Eric Weisberg

Fiddle: Kenny Kosec, Larry Packer

Strings: Bernard Eichen, Lewis Eley, Paul Gershman, Emanuel Green, Louis Haber, Julius Held, Leo Kruczek, Harry Lookofsky, Joseph Malignaggi, Gene Orloff, Raoul Poliakin, Irving Spice, Louis Stone, Harry Glickman, Max Pollikoff, Matthew Raimondi, Tosha Samaroff, Sylvan Shulman, Avram Weiss, Bernard Eichen, Charles Libove, Marvin Morgenstern, Goerge Ockner, Joyce Robbins, Aaron Rosand, Julius Schacter, (Violin) Harold Coletta, Emanuel Vardi, Harold Furmansky (Viola) Kermit Moore, Abe Kessler, Charles McCracken, George Ricci, Harvey Shapiro, Alan Shulman, Seymour Barab (Cello) Gene Bianca, Margaret Ross (Harp) Artie Butler, Don Sebeskey, Claus Ogerman, Eumir Deodato (Arranger/Conductor)

Horns: Michael Brecker, Phil Bodner, Hank Freeman, Joe Farrell, George Marge, David Newman, Ronnie Cuber (Saxophones) Hubert Laws, Joe Farrell, Romeo Penque (Flutes) Randy Brecker, Alan Rubin, Marvin Stamm, Marky Markowitz, Harold Johnson, Joe Newman, Burt Collins (Trumpets) David Taylor, Barry Rogers, Garnett Brown, Urbie Green (Trombones)

Background Vocals: Luther Vandross, Diva Gray, David Lasey, Arnold McCuller, Kimberley Carlson, Gordon Grody, Anamaria Valle, Marilyn Jackson, Linda November, Lynn Pitney, Maretha Stewart, Hilda Harris, Ulanda McCulloch, Vivian Cherry

In MUSCLE SHOALS:

Guitars: Ken Bell, Travis Wammack, Larry Byrom, Jimmy Johnson, Eddie Hinton, Pete Carr

Bass: Bob Wray, Jerry Bridges, David Hood

Drums: Roger Clark, Roger Hawkins

Keyboards: Ron Oates, Tim Henson, Barry Beckett, Randy McCormick, Clayton Ivey

Percussion: Mickey Buckins, Tom Roady, Rick Hall

Horns: James Mitchell, Floyd Newman, Harvey Thompson, Ronnie Eades (Saxophones) Ben Cauley, Gene Miller, Harrison Calloway (Trumpets) Charles Rose, Aaron Varnell (Trombones)

Background Vocals: Charles Chalmers, Sandra Rhodes-Chalmers, Donna Rhodes, Lennie LeBlanc, Katherine Hill

Dave

Forgot another "Place"...:

In TORONTO:

Guitar: Brian Russell, Dominic Troiano
Bass: Tom Szniack
Drums: Barry Kean
Keyboards: Doug Riley
Strings: Mylan Kalamakia (Arranger, Conductor)

Although a rather small line-up and I've never seen an entire String/Horn Section personnel listed for that region, other than the Arranger/Conductor... (Did I spell his name, as well as Szniack's name right???!!!) :freak:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom