February 2017 Remembrances

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
All February 2017 death notices can be found within this thread. Please post all new R.I.P.s below. Thank you!

Sonny Geraci, lead singer of The Outsiders ("Time Won't Let Me" in 1966) & Climax ("Precious And Few" in 1972) has died at 69 years old.:shock::cry: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Very sad to report the passing of British Record Producer, A&R Man, and songwriter John Schroeder, who passed away on the last day of January at the age of 82. In his early years he worked as an assistant to legendary EMI producer Norrie Paramor, who increasingly allowed John to act as producer on recording sessions. John co-wrote hits for Helen Shapiro including her UK #1 "Walking Back to Happiness" before moving to Oriole records where, as A&R Chief, his was the first British record label to do a deal and licence material from Motown. He then moved to Pye Records, where he ran their subsidiary Piccadilly label. There he created Sounds Orchestral and produced their worldwide hit "Cast Your Fate To The Wind", as well as launching the career of Status Quo, amongst others. He continued to produce Sounds Orchestral albums for many years, long after he'd left Pye to ast up his own Alaska label, and the Janus label in the US & Canada. He was a friend and we often discussed the delights (and otherwise) of the music business. I last saw him at Johnny Pearson's funeral and last spoke to him as part of a radio interview last summer. He was one of the UK's giants of record production (along with Tony Hatch, Sir George Martin, Norrie Paramour and Alan A Freeman) and will be greatly missed.

British singer Peter Skellern has died of brain cancer Friday morning at 69 years old. The song "You're A Lady" went to # 50 (Billboard Hot 100 Charts) back in 1972. Also Dawn (featuring Tony Orlando) also remake that song in late 1972. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Just read that composer Leon Ware died earlier today. Among his hit songs were Marvin Gaye's "I Want You" and Quincy Jones' "Body Heat".

Back
Top Bottom