February 4th is around the corner...

As I have said many times before, I was not a fan nor did I know really who Karen Carpenter was....not until I discovered a photo of her during her SOLO sessions in NY...and thought she was some has been or a hippie singer or acid rock singer of the 1950's/1960's.....and said Singer Karen Carpenter died of cardiac arrest in 1983 due to her battle with Anorexia Nervosa....I took the book home to show Mom (it was in our Grade 9 Health Text book...May 1988 Winnipeg, Mb, Canada)...and she gasped at how gaunt KC looked. I asked her, who was she, what did she sing. Mom was peeling carrots and potatoes for supper, and she said, Oh it's in the basket of 8-Tracks (we still listened to 8-Tracks on our stereo)....so I searched and then she found it. It was The Singles 1969-1973 and on the back was a pic of two guys....not realizing it was her and her brother. I did not know they were a brother and sister. The plural of the name Carpenters I thought it was a band from the 60s or 70s like Creedence Clearwater Revival, or the Doobie Brothers or something like that....but I put it on our stereo and listened and the beauty that came out of it, astounded me. What a gorgeous, harmonic sounding group this was...then I heard Every Sha La La from Yesterday Once More and the Close To You song and then I remembered hearing them from the 1970s. The Yesterday Once More I recognized from a Clifford's Fur Store commercial here in Wpg....not sure if they got rights to play the song....

Anyways it was still months away until I found out they were a brother and sister. I thought they were married and that she was of Spanish descent at her tanned and dark features....

But her music touched me deeply as I was battling low self esteem and being verbally and physically abused at home (in secret) and it was a very dark time in my life. Her music was like my VOICE...certain songs will take me back to a certain period in 1988 and 1989 and so one....A Place To Hideaway, Maybe It's You, Eve, Someday, I Can't Make Music, Solitaire, Superstar etc....

I vaguely remember hearing about her death on the news, not knowing who she was. But later on, when I was in Grade 4...a girl a grade ahead had this bizarre disease that even shocked me. She became a VIRTUAL skeleton nd it terrified us....GRADE 5!!!! She was removed from school and someone said she had that Carpenter singer lady disease where you don't eat....and it was kind of scary....

To me I commemerate her death, as I commemorate the deaths in my own family. In the past 3 1/2 years, I have lost about 15 family members, most of them of advanced age, but had 2 male cousins murdered in Winnipeg (1 shot and 1 thrown from a bridge onto the road and run over)...very sad....my mother is going thru great trauma as she has lost 1 brother and 3 sisters and 1 sister in law in 22 months.....so I guess we all deal with death in many different ways....

Yes for Richard it must be hard in so many different ways because they were musical/business partners, friends AND siblings.....

My thoughts,
Cam

Back
Top Bottom