🎄 Holidays! FINALE: Bruce Forsyth's Big Night w/Karen Carpenter, Part 4 (1978)

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
I this final segment, Karen and Bruce ring in the Christmas cheer by singing a medley of all-too-familiar Christmas tunes taken from the Carpenters' Christmas Portrait album, 1978. Happy Christmas!! :santawave:

What a great FINAL it is...thanks so much for providing these special moments during the Christmas season.

I wonder what Karen & Bruce are looking at off stage at about 1:14, first Karen looks and gives a head bow and then Bruce looks and smile, was it some fan giving Karen praise or stage crew? It's such a heartfelt moment and cool that this was part of the performance. She really had so much influence on people.

What a great FINAL it is...thanks so much for providing these special moments during the Christmas season.

I wonder what Karen & Bruce are looking at off stage at about 1:14, first Karen looks and gives a head bow and then Bruce looks and smile, was it some fan giving Karen praise or stage crew? It's such a heartfelt moment and cool that this was part of the performance. She really had so much influence on people.

I always assumed it was the chorale. Whether they were actually in-studio live, or pre-taped and Karen was trying to make it look like she was giving them a nod, it was a nice effect. Merry Christmas my friend!

I this final segment, Karen and Bruce ring in the Christmas cheer by singing a medley of all-too-familiar Christmas tunes taken from the Carpenters' Christmas Portrait album, 1978. Happy Christmas!! :santawave:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you Chris! You made my holidays complete.

Whoever it is, it catches Karen’s eye first and Bruce then turns round to see who she’s looking at. To me it seems like someone off camera who has come up to the front of the stage and who is either bearing a gift for her or is showering her with praise. Either way, she graciously acknowledges them. Very sweet.

Once again, seeing Karen shine like this is a treat. Even with old what’s his face singing with her in these songs.

This is a great video. It really fills you with Christmas warmth and cheer. The way Bruce looks at Karen...he seems to really admire her (and rightly so). Thanks again for sharing, Chris.

She looks so damn fragile here that it makes this hard to watch. This warm, lush sound coming from this ailing body is a thing of wonder. She looks worse here than she does in the second Christmas special which I'm assuming was filmed earlier in 1978 and this later on in December.

Thank you Chris May for these 4 performances from the GREAT Karen Carpenter. As frail as she was, she was still beautiful and her voice was very much intact. Happy Christmas!

Karen was painfully thin here (especially when she turns sideways) and her outfit somehow seems to accentuate her thinness. But, her incredible talent and charm are in abundance. It's no wonder she is still loved by so many.

Back
Top Bottom