Firefox Browser Tip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I've had Service pk 2 for awhile now and yes it updates auto and sometimes says to reboot for them to take affect. How long should re-booting your system usually take, mine can take up to 4 mins.

The reason I guess I never upgraded to IE7 before is it was never a auto thing with the updates, I had to actually do the windows update manually and pick from the non critical options and there I saw IE7 upgrade. It went very smooth and I like it better.

Rebooting a computer can vary due to a lot of different reasons. Hardware differences, software loaded at startup, networks that it connects to, and anti-virus checks can all have widely varying effects on how long it takes to boot a computer.

Here at home, my XP (home) box boots in less than a minute. My older laptop with Windows 2000 Professional takes about a minute and a half. At work, I have an XP Pro box that has a lot of networks that it connects to, passwords that need to be entered, scripts that run from the IT department, and anti-virus checks that are necessary in a work environment. That one usually takes a good three or four minutes before it's usable.

I've gotten quite used to the "different" locations of things in IE7 - so much so that when I go back to use IE6 on the laptop, I end up poking around in the wrong place for the "refresh" button.

Harry

Rudy said:
BTW, I've been playing with the LiveCD distributions of Ubuntu (with the Gnome interface) and Kubuntu (which is the same OS, but uses the KDE interface). Ubuntu has Firefox installed, and it's nice to see a familiar face there. :wink: Kubuntu makes use of Konqueror which, in its latest version, seems to be compliant to web standards much as the others are. Earlier Konqueror versions I've tried haven't been all that good, but IMHO, they've really made some good progress. I could easily recommend either Ubuntu or Kubuntu (and others that are similar) as a Windows alternative: the install CDs run smoothly, and they come with a full complement of software. With the LiveCD, I've been able to boot from the CDs and try these without having to install them.
I've dabbled with LiveCDs in the past, although in my experience they're often too sluggish to really use unless you have lightning-speed hardware. The Konqueror browser and Apple Safari use the same rendering engine (the underpinnings, IOW) and pages should render similarly in both, although the relationship between the browsers is a bit complicated and they aren't really equivalent to each other.

Rudy said:
Front Page is...well, to put it nicely, it's not even close. However, it's based on really old coding styles, and really hadn't been updated in many years. (The interface was updated over the years, but not the underlying code it generated for sites.)
I've heard that some of the newest versions of FrontPage don't butcher HTML as badly as the older ones, although I'd still expect the output to look slightly better in IE than anything else. If you really want to see badly-crafted web pages, however, I'd invite you to look at anything that was "created" with Yahoo/GeoCities' web-based "PageBuilder" tool. The worst of the worst! :laugh:

Rudy said:
I just think many users, such as myself, are tired of being rejected at sites that choose not to cater to everyone, but only to IE users. If they don't want our business, fine...we'll go elsewhere. From day one, I've always tried to accomodate everyone.
Indeed: While the majority of the web is accessible no matter what one's software preferences are, there are far more IE-only pages out there than there are pages that exclude it. Sometimes they're relics from the '90s...other times they're just coded by people who don't have a clue. Or are held hostage by their IT department who won't give them better tools to use. :goofygrin:

I wouldn't say all of the rage and hate for Microsoft is blind: A lot of users (such as myself) have legitimate frustrations with their software titles or business practices, even though they agree that they made some well-designed products over the years.

Andrew T. said:
I've dabbled with LiveCDs in the past, although in my experience they're often too sluggish to really use unless you have lightning-speed hardware.

Mine's not bleeding edge, but I had enough memory that the LiveCD ran great. The only pause I'd get is when I loaded up an application I'd never loaded before. Beyond that, it gave me a good feel of how it should work. I think many (most) computer users out there are not aware that you can download a fully-functional, stable and completely free operating system with many bundled applications that run flawless right out of the box. Ubuntu shipped with Open Office, Firefox, GAIM, and an image editor, along with quite a few others that I didn't even open yet. For someone on a budget, this is ideal, and reliable enough that there'd be no hand-holding involved. The Gnome interface is close enough to Windows that even a novice user can find their way around within minutes.

Andrew T. said:
I wouldn't say all of the rage and hate for Microsoft is blind: A lot of users (such as myself) have legitimate frustrations with their software titles or business practices, even though they agree that they made some well-designed products over the years.

I'm frustrated by a few of their decisions, but I don't have any in-bred hate for them. I've used WinXP since it came out, and it is so solid that I can run it for several weeks, 24/7. without needing a reboot. Their Office programs are a bit bloated, but I still make use of them. Some of the built-in utilities are great: right now, I'm on my upstairs computer, using Remote Desktop to log into my downstairs computer and use it just like I was sitting in front of my computer desk. I could never abandon this OS either: I have way too many major applications tied up in it (from MS, Adobe, Sonic Foundry, etc.). And I also have an Apache server and MySQL process running to test my development work. Of course, it's no wonder it takes about 3-4 minutes to boot up. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom