First batch of TJB CD titles due out Feb. 8, 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
First three titles are due out in February. MusicTAP confirmed it:

"2 reissues and a rarities CD is expected for the expressive horn of Herb Alpert. On February 1, Shout! Factory will re-issue 1962's The Lonely Bull and 1964's South of the Border, both remastered and featuring an expanded booklet with new liner notes. Lost Treasures will contain rare and never before released cuts from the 1963-1974 period. Perfect!"

FYI: Shout! Factory is a small specialty reissue label that was created by one of Rhino's original founders.

UPDATE: more information from the Digitally Obsessed website (and thanks to forum member Plucky87 for posting it)...

FEBRUARY 1

Herb Alpert: Lost Treasures (CD)

DK 32867

Lost Treasures contains tracks Herb Alpert recorded between 1963 and 1974, some rare and others never-before released. Much like his South Of The Border, Alpert interprets songs written by popular music's greatest writers, including Burt Bacharach and Hal David (I Might Frighten Her Away), James Taylor (Fire and Rain) and a second salute to the The Beatles with his version of And I Love Her. Other standout tracks include Cat Stevens' The Whistle Song, which was written specifically for Alpert, and Bacharach and David's (They Long To Be) Close To You which, in 1970, Alpert felt was better suited for The Carpenters' sophomore A&M release.

Suggested retail price is $18.98.

Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass: The Lonely Bull (Re-Issue) (CD)

DK 32771

Originally released in 1962, The Lonely Bull is Herb Alpert's debut album, and one of the first three releases in the Herb Alpert Signature Series. This remastered album, which features such favorites as Desafinado, Never On Sunday and the title track Lonely Bull, also includes an expanded booklet with new liner notes to which Herb Alpert contributed.

Suggested retail price is $13.98.

Herb Alpert & The Tijauana Brass: South Of The Border (Re-Issue) (CD)

DK 32772

Originally released in 1964, South Of The Border is another of the first three releases in the Herb Alpert Signature Series. This remastered album, which features such favorites as The Girl From Ipanema and I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face," includes an expanded booklet with new liner notes to which Herb Alpert contributed.

Suggested retail price is $13.98.

Update 11/26/2004: the release date has apparently moved to Feb. 8, per a Billboard article, also mentioning that we'll see new releases every couple of months through the middle of 2006.

Great news...I hope. Shout! Factory is also the label that released that YULESVILLE disc last year with the awkwardly extended Brasil '66 "Christmas Song."

Needless to say, I'll be looking forward to the LOST TREASURES disc as the most exciting part of this trio of releases. I already have the initial releases of LONELY BULL and SOUTH OF THE BORDER, but will anxiously await comparison with the new remastering. Expanded liner notes...YES!

Harry
...with a getting-better-all-the-time Wednesday, online...

The fact that we know original engineer Larry Levine had a hand in it, they have the best chance to sound good. :thumbsup:

I'll split this into a new thread.

Yep. I have confidence that these will pretty good under Herb and Larry Levine's guidance.

That Mendes thing is still a huge question mark though. Why? How?

Harry
...looking forward to some "new" Sol Lake/TjB tunes, online...

Harry said:
That Mendes thing is still a huge question mark though. Why? How?

That is bizarre. Only thing is, Universal owns those masters, and probably didnt' care if the song was patched together to make it longer.

Huh, & I thought that Hip-O Select was going to reissue the back catalog of Herb & the TJB instead of Shout! Factory. :confused: Great news anyway! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Definitely not Hip-O Select...they're part of Universal. I got the feeling Herb Alpert was pretty much done with them.

Rudy said:
First three titles are due out in February. MusicTAP confirmed it:

"2 reissues and a rarities CD is expected for the expressive horn of Herb Alpert. On February 1, Shout! Factory will re-issue 1962's The Lonely Bull and 1964's South of the Border, both remastered and featuring an expanded booklet with new liner notes. Lost Treasures will contain rare and never before released cuts from the 1963-1974 period. Perfect!"

FYI: Shout! Factory is a small specialty reissue label that was created by one of Rhino's original founders.

Well, I'm shoutin'! Feb 1, 2005 is a Tuesday, FWIW...but it'll be my Christmas!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: THANKS, HERB!!!!!

Dan

I have Lonely Bull...but,

I'll be getting South of the Border as soon as I can...it is one of my favorites.

Where will I be able to buy these...like from Amazon.com?

Well...I guess I WAS close, guessing MARCH...!! I see Nobody guessed FEBRUARY, but like I said, Technology being what it is...well, then...it's...really...

...Great News!!!!!:goodie: :goodie: :goodie:

Dave

I'm also looking forward to the expanded liner notes. Perhaps a glimpse into the actual musicians on the sessions, instead of the guess work that many have been doing? Maybe some photos? I'm gettin' pumped! :D

Capt. Bacardi

Did some sleuthing--no track listing yet, as Shout! Factory has not officially announced the titles yet, but mastering on the two reissues is by Ted Jensen, and "Lost Treasures" is mastered by Bernie Grundman.

HOORAYYYYYYY......... now I can finally start replacing some of the TJB albums I couldn't bring to New Zealand. I just hope I can get them thru amazon or a similar site. If not, then I will have to make a trip to America to get them.........what a perfect excuse to go to Hawaii for a few days!!!!!!

Shout! Factory is actually more than just one Rhino executive. Rhino co-founder,Richard Foos,started Shout! with his brother Garson(15 years at Rhino) and past Business Affairs Manager,Bob Emmer,who,according to Garson's brief history written at www.shoutfactory.com,was the guy who brought them to Atlantic(from EMI) in 1992. With the quirky amount of material already out from Shout!(the above mentioned Christmas material,SCTV on DVD,Punky Brewster, and new owners of the Biograph label)the sense of humor that made Rhino such a joy in the past is back! Rhino today is a heartless reissue label with no direction except the WEA vaults that is part of Warner Strategic Marketing. Shout! seems to be the best place for the TJB material. Can't wait! Mac

I hate to disappoint everyone, but according to the link Neil put on his home page, the reissues are by Herb Alperb, not Alpert. I guess the similarity in titles is a coincidence! LOL. Yet another variation of Herb's name.......

Seriously, this is great news! I would have liked for GOING PLACES and SOUNDS LIKE to be the first two, but it just makes sense that LONELY BULL and SOUTH OF THE BORDER would be first because judging by the 1989 releases, those two needed the least amount of TLC in remastering. And although I have the original releases of both of those, I plan on buying them as soon as they're available as well as the LOST TREASURES. Really looking forward to "new" original TJB music. I think a more appropriate name for the other thread instead of "Will You Buy The Remastered TJB reissues" would be "How many copies Of The New TJB Reissues Will You Buy?".

David,
anxiously awaiting........

thetijuanataxi said:
I think a more appropriate name for the other thread instead of "Will You Buy The Remastered TJB reissues" would be "How many copies Of The New TJB Reissues Will You Buy?".

David,
anxiously awaiting........

OK, I'll start. For each reissue: One to listen to, one to give away, and one to salt away for when the first one wears out! At that, I'll probably buy more than one to give away. Heck, I want these things to sell well enough so that the chances are greatly increased we'll see the rest of them sooner than later (or at all).

Mike A

My plan is to buy them, copy the CDs (as two-fers, or more), store the originals safely away.

Seriously, this is great news! I would have liked for GOING PLACES and SOUNDS LIKE to be the first two,

I have a cd of "Going Places" on Festival records through A&M. Australia.
Was it ever released in the States? I have never seen it listed on ebay
so perhaps I am sitting on a gold mine.

Slick

Going Places was released in the US in 1988 or so, along with the other five of the first six titles (plus Beat Of The Brass). Still rare, though--only Whipped Cream and Lonely Bull remained in print up until just a few years ago. I'm still holding onto all of my TJB CDs--I'm waiting to compare how they sound.

In the US Going Places was on CD. The following were the only TJB CDs released by A&M in the US of A:
Lonely Bull
Volume 2
South Of The Border
Whipped Cream & Other Delights
Going Places
What Now My Love
Beat Of The Brass
Christmas Album

All the compilations were made as CDs as well:
Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits Volume 2
Solid Brass
Foursider

--Mr Bill

Rudy or Mr. Bill: Both Greatest Hits & Greatest Hits Volume 2 & Christmas were released in November of 1987 while the other 7 reissues were in stores by November of 1988 during the Christmas season. I haven't seen "Solid Brass" when I was in the old Turntable store in Midland, Michigan back in 1988 or early 1989 though. I only picked up "The Beat of The Brass" when it first came out on CD back in late November of 1988. That same time, I picked up "Classics: Vol. 1". I did not picked up Volume 2, South, What Now & Going back then though because I bought different CD's instead! :cry: I bought Christmas, Lonely & Whipped as well as Foursider in late 1999!! As for the solo Herb, I also bought "Classics: Vol. 20", "Rise", "North on South St.", "Midnight Sun" & "Keep Your Eye On Me" in late January of 2000. I bought the 3 (Almo Sounds) CD's back in the Summer of 1999. I also wished back in November of 1988 or early 1989 that I wanted to picked up "Fandango!", "Magic Man", "Under A Spanish Moon", "My Abstract Heart" & "Bullish" while it was still in print but maybe someday. :cry: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom