First batch of TJB CD titles due out Feb. 8, 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
The TJB releases run through the summer of 2006, and Herb's solo stuff should start after that (although that has yet to be confirmed officially).

Capt. Bacardi

hi all , my friend told me today that he got the new south of the border.
and numero cinco does not have the spoken part as the original cd that came out in 1987. and I tried looking at my local best buy for all three.
and they only had 2 of the lost treasues which sold out, then the other one my friend went to had south of the border. and the other stores like circut city does not even stock them and not even in their computer. so they just cater to the young teens and the best sellers, I guess they do not care about us older people.
bob

I'm going out to look for "Lost Treasures" in a bit, and I may buy it if the price is good. I don't even bother with Best Buy locally (hate the store, personally). Dearborn Music might have these titles in stock. I could drive to the main Border's store (Ann Arbor), but I'm not paying full list price.

Here's a review from today's Seattle paper:

The old Tijuana Brass shines again on new CDs
By BILL VIRGIN
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

Compiling a pop-music soundtrack for the '60s? You'd probably include some Beatles, some Elvis, a helping of Motown, too.

If you stopped there, your list would have one glaring omission on the list of the decade's most popular artists: Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass.

TJB, as it is known, tends to get overlooked in accounts of the pop music scene of the '60s, perhaps because it wasn't rock, perhaps because there are few radio outlets today for that genre of music. Many of the TJB albums never made it to CD, while many that did are out of print.

But the Tijuana Brass certainly wasn't overlooked by the people who bought records in the 1960s. In 1966, for example, the TJB had four albums in Billboard magazine's top 10-selling albums, and five in the top 20.

The lack of recognition or public recollection may soon be rectified. Shout! Factory, a small label that does both reissues and new releases, is this week launching the Herb Alpert Signature Series, starting with three CDs: "Lost Treasures," a collection of never-released songs and alternative versions of previously released tunes; the 1964 release "South of the Border"; and the album that started it all in 1962, "The Lonely Bull." More releases are due later this year (including one with dance-oriented remixes) and into 2006. Just how far into the catalog the series will go isn't clear, although a Shout! Factory release says it eventually will include "all of Alpert's classic albums, both with the Brass and solo."

So what was it that made Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass so popular then? Bill Bernardi, the Austin, Texas-based moderator of a fan Web site (www.tijuanabrass.com), says the music was "a happy medium for people who didn't care for rock but didn't like easy listening or what jazz was doing."

The TJB's music was a mainstay of an AM-band radio format, now largely gone, called middle-of-the-road. The closest approximation to that locally is KIXI-AM (880) an "adult standards" station that has about 20 TJB songs in its playlist, as many as Frank Sinatra, according to program director Bob Brooks.

"The music was light, always breezy and fun," Brooks says. "By combining elements of mariachi, jazz and other influences, he managed to create a unique sound."

"I think I chose interesting songs and good melodies," Alpert says in a phone interview with the P-I. "I can't really identify why it was successful except the songs were good. It's like the movie business -- it's all in the script."

Alpert was already a professional musician and songwriter (co-author of the Sam Cooke hit "Wonderful World") when he took in a bullfight and, inspired by the spectacle (including brass fanfare), tweaked a song by a friend to produce the "The Lonely Bull." In the liner notes to one of the reissues Alpert says he wasn't particularly a fan of mariachi music; while the mariachi sound was a definite early influence on the group's style, over time the TJB's sound evolved to interpretations of popular tunes and, later in Alpert's career, much more of a jazz influence.

All, of course, with a distinctive Alpert sound. "There's a certain honesty that always works," he says. "I didn't struggle to produce that sound."

Alpert says the series of reissues started when he was going through old recording masters to preserve them. He came across material that hadn't been issued before and that he hadn't remembered recording. "There was such a whirlwind in the '60s," he says.

Whirlwind is a good way to describe not just the recording but the TV specials and touring. The concert schedule included several stops in Seattle; Alpert recalls staying at the Edgewater Inn (and yes, he says, he "fished out the window"). A 1967 P-I story refers to an appearance at the Coliseum (now KeyArena) before more than 14,000.

Will people remember who Alpert and the TJB were? Says Alpert, "We're going to find out."

If they do, it won't be because of radio exposure, which offers few venues for his music these days. "Radio doesn't have the open-door policy it used to," he says. "We'll see what happens with this." He also hasn't toured in a while, although he adds, "I'm thinking of getting a group together with my wife" (Lani Hall, the former lead singer for Sergio Mendes' Brasil 66).

But it's not as though he's been idling the years waiting to see if anyone remembers him. He's been a theatrical producer ("Angels in America," among others), he owns a jazz club/restaurant in Los Angeles, and he's been a hugely successful music businessman, twice building and selling record labels.

Alpert also has developed an art career, with shows of his vividly colorful abstract paintings (viewable at www.herbalpert.com) and sculptures. He's currently working on a series of 12-foot bronze totem poles to be shown in New York this spring.

Alpert describes his painting and sculpture with words that apply well to a body of music to which a new generation of listeners may get an introduction: "Emotional, honest and uniquely mine."

elswinger said:
So what was it that made Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass so popular then? Bill Bernardi, the Austin, Texas-based moderator of a fan Web site (www.tijuanabrass.com), says the music was "a happy medium for people who didn't care for rock but didn't like easy listening or what jazz was doing."

This name sounds familiar... :D

elswinger said:
If they do, it won't be because of radio exposure, which offers few venues for his music these days. "Radio doesn't have the open-door policy it used to," he says. "We'll see what happens with this." He also hasn't toured in a while, although he adds, "I'm thinking of getting a group together with my wife" (Lani Hall, the former lead singer for Sergio Mendes' Brasil 66).

I'm hoping Herb Alpert or someone else from his management is lurking here to read this: XM Radio. I've seen so many artists do specials on XM lately--it would be a great way to get the word out about the new releases. If the 70s channel can devote an entire day to playing the entire Carpenters catalog, I don't see why they couldn't do something on one of the instrumental channels (Sunny, perhaps?), or even XM6 (60s on 6). A lot of good anecdotes about the Brass, the record label, and what he's been doing since then would make for a fantastic radio program IMHO.

Wow, this article seems to suggest 4 things:
1) A&M Corner is getting recognition round the country.
2) We have a celebrity journalist among us.
3)ALL the TJB and solo albums will probably get released.
4)We may be treated to another dose of live Herb and Lani.
Great all the way around!
Now onto the reissues. I purchased all three from Best Buy in Grapevine, Texas. They had 1 copy of LT, 2 each of LB and SOTB. I will purchase additional copies for parents etc. most likely through Amazon. I tried to get them at Walmart, but those imbeciles are only selling LT on line and don't even have the other two listed. You would think that a time honored artist who has sold nearly 100 million records would have coverage in vitually every music retailer. I am seriously thinking of selling copies of all three on eBay as well as these other sellers simply to make sure that more copies get sold of each title. I can order them from Amazon as needed. I am currently listening to SOTB as I'm writing this.
SPOILER WARNING!! IF still necessary

My evaluation:
sound quality: seems a lot more live than the 1988 Cd and is recorded a bit louder. Separation seems better and the sound is very crisp. Sounds much more like the LP.
Cover art: front cover great, rear cover authentic though I wish they had put it on the back of the digipack
Booklet: some nice rare photos and entertaining text, though still no listing of musicians.
Disc art: definitely more attractive than the 1988 edition with some nice artwork. Still would have liked them to simulate the ochre LP labels. But not bad. BTW, no song listing on CD labels.
I will comment on the other two later after I give them a spin, but so far a thumbs up on SOTB.

David,
about to listen to LT.......

Rudy said:
elswinger said:

This name sounds familiar... :D

Is this my 15 minutes? :laugh:

For those who didn't know, Bill Virgin e-mailed me last week asking me to call him about the reissues (he just pulled my name from the moderator list). We talked about 7 or 8 minutes about the TJB, about why I thought they were popular, whether the younger crowd would get into it, and stuff like that. This wasn't my best line I gave to him, but I guess it'll suffice. :D

Capt. Bacardi
...who finally nailed a Virgin, online... :laugh:

Que Viva El Capitan! Way to go Captain....This is all music to my ears. Herb Alpert is definitely back, and his art as well. Excellent news. Can't wait to hear these, and the Dance Medley Mr. Randy Badazz created, I know they will "smoke!"

elswinger said:
He also hasn't toured in a while, although he adds, "I'm thinking of getting a group together with my wife" (Lani Hall, the former lead singer for Sergio Mendes' Brasil 66).

It just keeps getting better and better. Can you say "S.R.O."???

Mike A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom