First Listen = Yes/Yup/Yeah/All Right; But, over time...a Complete Reversal of Opinion!

JOv2

Name an album that upon first listening seemed very promising or was otherwise exciting and attention grabbing yet, upon subsequent listenings lost its immediate appeal and was eventually omitted from regular listening altogether…

Tell us what initially excited you about the album -- and then how your major about-face occurred.

I've been thinking and thinking on this new topic you presented here. It made sense after your previous "opposite" topic where I raved about Buzzcocks and a few others...

But honestly, there isn't and album or artist i can think of that I once loved but now can't stand. There are many I loved and OVERplayed to the point where I don't listen to them as much anymore (Oingo Boingo, The Cramps, Talking Heads and more) but none that I have gown to disdain...

This has led me to another possible topic for you to present. I'd do it myself, but you do such a good job with these and your "shoot-outs" and one-and-dones... My suggestion: "Wait, That Was It?" where people can lament an artist who did one release (single or LP) that you really enjoyed but then nothing followed (or if anything did it was self-released or delegated to a minor or local label) I have easily a few dozen artist I could apply this to! And not just A&M and I.R.S. artists, either...

--Mr Bill

For me, two names come immediately to mind:

J.J. Cale and Bruce Springsteen.

Around 1982-3, Cale was suggested along with Ry Cooder from a friend of mine. I instantly liked both -- and went so far as to quickly pick up J.J.'s first 4 MCA LPs in short order (they were all budget priced at the time). While I immediately liked them at the time, they just didn't have any lasting impact and within a year I wasn't playing them much if at all. When I made the mid '80s CD jump, I didn't bother with J.J.. I think the problem with J.J. was that there was a sameness to his style that musically, I just could not appreciate. Looking back on it, probably either Naturally or Troubadour (both of which are good) or a "best-of" should have been the extent of it. As for Ry -- his entire '70s Reprise output are gems.

Bruce is a similar story, and I quickly had all his LPs through to Born to Run (which remains a really good album) -- but it was all diminishing returns as the music and performances just didn't age well with me. He's surely a good songwriter and singer, but I suppose at the time (round about 1981-82), my tastes were changing and moving away from what he had to offer...

Back in 1974, I found an lp by the group Eclection. It was in a cutout bin for 44 cents. I took a chance as it was on Elektra Records and they had a penchant for great folk artists. I liked a number of the songs when I first played it and now and then would listen to the album. I let a friend borrow it but she did not like it at all. I still have the album but it probably has been 30 years or so since I last had the record on the turntable.

As for Ry -- his entire '70s Reprise output are gems.
He's one artist I haven't really explored yet, and I've been meaning to. I'll add him to my backlog. One recording I own that he is prominent on is Terry Evans' Blues for Thought. Some great guitar work there, and Evans is an overlooked blues singer and guitarist himself.

He's one artist I haven't really explored yet, and I've been meaning to.
Ultimately, I would recommend the entire '70s cycle; however, his two most memorable albums -- arguably, Into The Purple Valley (1972) and Paradise And Lunch (1974) -- would serve as a good intro. He's also remembered for having the "rocks first digital album" propaganda hype sticker slapped on Bop 'Till You Drop (1979). The story of the difficulty surrounding recording the LP with the then-new technology is documented over on the Hoffman board. I understand Cooder did not like the way the LP sounded -- particularly his guitar, which is understandable given the majority of electric guitarists enjoy all those unpredictable ambient sounds that the digital process eliminates with the noise floor removed.

My suggestion: "Wait, That Was It?" where people can lament an artist who did one release (single or LP) that you really enjoyed but then nothing followed (or if anything did it was self-released or delegated to a minor or local label) I have easily a few dozen artist I could apply this to! And not just A&M and I.R.S. artists, either...

I think I get it...kinda like a "One@Gone". Great suggestion! I'll add it to my list.

Last edited:
I understand Cooder did not like the way the LP sounded -- particularly his guitar, which is understandable given the majority of electric guitarists enjoy all those unpredictable ambient sounds that the digital process eliminates with the noise floor removed.
Lack of noise, plus the low resolution at lower volume that removes a lot of detail (like the reverb trail) didn't do the music any favors. And the early digital equipment wasn't all that great either. The move to 24-bit was a game changer.

Back
Top Bottom