First new Herb Alpert VINYL releases in decades, released today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd gladly take vinyl of Second Wind, Passion Dance, and Fandango for that matter. My copy of Fandango is nearly flawless anyway, but it'd probably be better on the newer (quieter) vinyl.

Just did a rough calculation of what this is going to cost me. Including updated speakers and a tuner/amp, I'm really eating into my car down payment. Oh, well. :laugh:

Yeah, I'm sort of in that situation myself, but I've pretty much worn out my ride and need a new(er) one this spring, no matter what. And it puts a dent in my other ongoing projects. :laugh:

It's like anything in manufacturing--the more you order, the cheaper they become. Something like Whipped Cream has always been a constant top seller on CD, so getting more of these pressed would be worthwhile. For other titles though, pressing even 2,000 could result in having leftover stock. Some titles that mainly collectors like us would buy, wouldn't even be worth doing on vinyl. Not to knock Summertime, but the average Whipped Cream/Going Places buyer is probably not going to be as interested in these other albums, just due to their being fewer (or no) charting hits. In the Shout Factory CDs, after the initial buzz wore off, I rarely saw any copies of Ninth sold, for example, and a few others never sold many copies also.

The most recent thing I can think of are the Peter Gabriel 45RPM sets--they are limited to 5,000 copies worldwide which to me, which seems like not many copies considering how many could buy them. For other titles, something like Adele's 25 sold 22,000 vinyl copies in the first week after release. Most vinyl these days is considered to be limited edition so unless a title is wildly popular and gets a repressing, once the batch is pressed, it's pretty much done.

RTI (Record Tech Inc., in Camarillo CA) has rates posted for pressing vinyl. I can tell from the packaging that the TJB vinyl did not come from RTI (based on packaging and such), but anyway, they have a price schedule posted, and I would guess most other plants are competitive with RTI:

http://www.recordtech.com/vinyl.htm

Note that prices do not include jackets, which are an additional cost. (Stoughton Printing is one shop that specializes in jacket printing.) Prices also do not include the metal processing and parts such as the mothers, and the stampers made from the mothers, two required per record (one for each side). Stampers for 180 gram vinyl only are good for about 500 copies due to the extra heat and pressure required, so larger runs need a lot of stampers. There is also the mastering cost, which includes engineering time and the cost of cutting each side onto laquer or metal masters; that will cost the same whether someone presses 500 records or 50,000.

Makes $20 for a 12" vinyl not seem very pricey. Also makes me think that once these are released, whoever wants them had better get on it.

I REPEAT - NORTH ON SOUTH ST was Herb's last A&M U.S. vinyl album. It was released on March 5, 1991. What I posted above is not just a graphic, it is my album cover.

NORTHONSOUTH_B_17-Edit.jpg

NORTHONSOUTH_SIDE1_32.jpg
That has to be a Real Collectors item. The last album i tried to get by Herb on vinyl was " My abstract heart" but the store told me " It was not availible on Lp" ( typical games retailers play".) So i got the cassette and later the CD i come to expect the retailers to be less than reliable when it comes to these things.

Makes $20 for a 12" vinyl not seem very pricey. Also makes me think that once these are released, whoever wants them had better get on it.

You bet. Especially the lesser-selling titles. $20 seems to be about the bottom of pricing for vinyl these days, which if you think about it, might almost be on par with what the list price of new records would have been anyway, accounting for 20-30 years of inflation.

That has to be a Real Collectors item. The last album i tried to get by Herb on vinyl was " My abstract heart" but the store told me " It was not availible on Lp" ( typical games retailers play".) So i got the cassette and later the CD i come to expect the retailers to be less than reliable when it comes to these things.

I am glad we have the Internet around, as it has allowed me to find items I didn't know existed, like albums on vinyl that I had never seen in the stores. In my experience, Discogs seems to have the best overview of the various formats an album was released in. If you can get to the "master release," you can see all of the known releases listed on the page below. Since the data is created by users, if an item is missing and I have proof of owning it (so I can gather the appropriate data), I could submit it as an additional release. Being user-contributed with strict guidlines has really helped them build a very helpful database.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom