🎷 AotW: CTI Flow: Flow (CTI Records CTI 1003)

All the CTI releases
1673317053028.pngFlow: Flow

CTI Records CTI 1003
Released 1970

• A1 - Daddy 3:35
  • A2 - Here We Are Again 6:45
  • A3 - Line 'Em 2:45
  • A4 - Gotta Get Behind Your Trip 3:30
  • A5 - Chicken Farm 2:50
  • B1 - No Lack of Room 3:50
  • B2 - Summer's Gone 5:50
  • B3 - Mr. Invisible 3:55​
  • B4 - Arlene 5:05

Bass, Lead Vocals – Chuck Newcomb
Cover, Design – Tony Lane
Drums, Illustration – Mike Barnett
Engineer – Rudy Van Gelder
👉 Guitar – Don Felder
Piano, Electric Piano, Organ, Soprano Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone, Flute, Harmonica – John Winter
Producer – Creed Taylor
Tabla, Congas, Cowbell – Angel Allende, Ed Shaughnessy, Johnny Pacheco

(Don Felder would later join The Eagles.)

1674828043712.png

Last edited:
This is the most unusual and atypical of any CTI recording I've yet heard. You can hear a little of the CTI influence on "Here We Are Again" and "Summer's Gone" during the longer breaks in each song but otherwise, it sounds typical of other early 70s rock/pop records.

Guitarist Don Felder, of course, would go on to a band that got perhaps just a little more recognition than Flow. 😁 With The Eagles, he would co-write the hit "Hotel California" with Glenn Frey and Don Henley.

Like the Kathy McCord record, this one sells for a few bucks, and is not all that easy to find. The video above is not mine but, when I get ahold of this record, I'll replace the video with one of my own that is at least cleaned up.

The lead singer's decent. The LP has lots of different musical feels to me: the positive spin is that its breath and scope are engaging while the converse is that it's a patchy affair. I think the LP could have been served by a better choice of material, but that's just my subjective musical opinion. Surely not a bad LP at all as-is.

I think the LP could have been served by a better choice of material, but that's just my subjective musical opinion.
To me, it sounds like a debut album (which it was), with a somewhat tentative feel to everything.

With a few more records and some songwriting experience, they probably could have developed into something greater.

Back
Top Bottom