Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Found on the Universal Music pages:

2e0d718d46b44d3985a6d8e065aeb68e.jpg

Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66
The Fool On The Hill [Digipak]
Release Date: Sep 28, 2004

Hopefully it's getting a decent re-master, perhaps eliminating that annoying HAECO-CSG processing. Keep your fingers crossed!

Harry
...with a bit of news, online...

So UNI can re-release this album for the umteenth time and the umteenth format- but can't even release one Baja Marimba Band original LP on CD???- This is redundancy to the max- Don't buy into it!
(But I probably will). :confused:

I wonder if the Digipak will include the original album back cover artwork.

Harry
...who'll probably buy this too, his fourth CD version of this title!, online...

Steven J. Gross said:
So UNI can re-release this album for the umteenth time and the umteenth format- but can't even release one Baja Marimba Band original LP on CD???- This is redundancy to the max- Don't buy into it!
(But I probably will). :confused:

Actually, when you consider it, Universal has NEVER released this title in the US. A&M released it years ago, and PoyGram did that Rebound re-issue. Universal has really only re-released it overseas (Japan).

Harry

And with all the so called "censorship" stuff going on- maybe UNI will release the original graphics in hopes of a new controversy to make it sell!
The fact that it is a digi-pac type release makes me SURE those graphics will be true to the original!!!
.....who bought this LP THE WEEK it was FIRST released!!!

Why don't they open their #%$# eyes and notice there is no THE in the title??????

I get just as mad when I see references to the Pink Floyd album THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON. With that one, they invariably leave the "THE" off!

I just hope they do this album justice this time around. As Harry has mentioned elsewhere, the LP had the dreaded HAECO-CSG processing, which throws the channels about 90 degrees out of phase. The only way to eliminate it is to go back to the original multitrack tapes and remix it; any two-channel master out there will have this processing on it. Thing is, I'm doubtful that Verve/UMG would remix something that to them is just a "catalog reissue" title.

OK, so, the Rebound CD was a washout (WAY overdone on the noise reduction), and even the Japan CD isn't perfect (it still has some NR, but isn't as bad). I'll buy this only to see if I can get a decent sounding version of this album. If not, I'll just look for a better vinyl copy and do a needle drop.

Rudy said:
OK, so, the Rebound CD was a washout (WAY overdone on the noise reduction), and even the Japan CD isn't perfect (it still has some NR, but isn't as bad).

I'm not as down on the Rebound edition as Rudy.

Well, if you don't mind something that sounds like _______ (bad word deleted :D )...

Steven J. Gross said:
I'm not as down on the Rebound edition as Rudy.

Seeing as the Rebound version is the only one I own, I'll have to save judgement for the upcoming reissue. To my ears, the Rebound version sounds just like the album, without the pops and surface noise. Either way you cut it, that darn HAECO-CSG system is for the birds.

Jon

You know, between the discussion here about the "Hate-co CSG" and the MP3 talk in FAO, I came to the conclusion that soundwise HAECO is to vinyl what MP3 is to CD Audio. :wink:

--Mr Bill
reminding all that "CSG" = "Crappy Sounding Groove"

^ Well not quite. At least with HAECO-CSG in the grooves, we're getting the full sonics as nature intended, it's just rearranged in an unconfortable fashion. With mp3, what's lost is just lost.

Harry
...preferring vinyl with CSG to mp3 anyday, even though they're apples and oranges, online...

Harry said:
...we're getting the full sonics as nature intended... just rearranged in an unconfortable fashion...

True enough what's lost is lost. Haeco encoding, though (to my ears anyway) gave the groove an annoying scratchy buzz not unlike what mp3s have in the high end cymbals, piccolos etc. I think Brass Are Comin' is the worst -- every copy I own sounds like someone played it with a rusty nail in the groove before it was sealed... like a faint continuous 'fingernails-on-chalkboard' in the background...

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
-- every copy I own sounds like someone played it with a rusty nail in the groove before it was sealed...
--Mr Bill
That really put a smile on my face!!! :laugh: -Also Bill, is that crummy sound on the Japanese CD version (of BAC) too, or do you know?

Harry said:
^ Well not quite. At least with HAECO-CSG in the grooves, we're getting the full sonics as nature intended, it's just rearranged in an unconfortable fashion. With mp3, what's lost is just lost.

Harry
...preferring vinyl with CSG to mp3 anyday, even though they're apples and oranges, online...

So what happens when I listen to a CSG processed album that I've converted to an MP3 file? :D

CSG = Compatible Stereo Generator. I think it was two-fold: 1) it allowed mono record players to play stereo without damage; 2) CSG records played back mono would not have the phasing and mix problems that playing a normal stereo record would (since if a stereo record is played mono, the center information is 4 to 6 decibels too loud). CSG does this with a partial phase shift. Normally, an out of phase signal is 180 degrees out of phase with the original. They did 90 degrees for CSG.

Again, CSG is on the two-track masters. The only way to go back is find ithe multitracks and remix it. And that's not going to happen for just a garden variety reissue like "Fool On The Hill", unless they surprise us.

And FWIW, I've never heard the original 80s CD release of this one. I'd probably like it better if it did not have all the noise reduction choking off the sound.

Steven J. Gross said:
Now CSG is what exactly?
reminding all that "CSG" = "Crappy Sounding Groove"
(missed the "fine print") :thumbsup:

I think it's the stuff they're supposed to take out of chinese food...

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
I think it's the stuff they're supposed to take out of chinese food...

I thought that was cat whiskers. :D

The vinyl's the only way to hear this one. Provided you can find one in good condition. I have the reel version--it sucks.

I also have the reel version from my Dad's collection. Agreed, it's not sensational, but it's a lot better than my original cassette copy from the '70s. That thing sounded like it had been played to death from the get-go...really lousy. Then again, A&M wasn't known for quality cassettes in the old days. Again, the reel-to-reel sounded a million times better although, like Neil, I'm still a fan of good old vinyl...get a clean copy and you're sure to enjoy it to the last groove!

Jon

I have a good vinyl of this album. I have never done a needle drop on it but maybe I should. Might be an eye opener!

Mike Blakesley said:
I have a good vinyl of this album. I have never done a needle drop on it but maybe I should. Might be an eye opener!

Go ahead...you could be in for a pleasant surprise!! Good luck and enjoy!!!

Jon

The problem with A&M's early cassettes is also what plagued all the reel tapes: they were all high-speed mass duplicated. A&M used Ampex in Elk Grove Village, IL, as did many labels (Verve, Fantasy, and a few others), but the quality depended on the generation of master tape sent to Ampex. Verve's have sounded the best.

Rudy said:
The problem with A&M's early cassettes is also what plagued all the reel tapes: they were all high-speed mass duplicated... Verve's have sounded the best.

Couldn't agree with you more. Most of Dad's Verve reels sounded pretty good -- especially 'middle of the road' jazz and instrumental recordings.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom