"For All We Know" (with violins)

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
Back in 1975 or 1976 when I was 10 & 11 years old, I heard an instrumental version of The Carpenters "For All We Know" (with violins at the beginning of the song & middle & end) on "Beautiful 102" WGER in Bay City, Michigan (102.5 FM) back then. I do not know who did that instrumental though??

Have no idea, but the most popular orchestra at that time (due to TV exposure) was that of Lawrence Welk - his orchestra had a string section...

My guess is the Arthur Fiedler and Boston Pops Play the Carpenters Songbook album. Starts with clarinets/oboes and gives way to violins throughout the cut. They were an adult contemporary staple back then. The album is on Polydor 1975. There were so many, mostly terrible tribute albums back then. The Pops, Ventures and Ferrante and Teicher ones being the exception. I don’t care for them, but they are listenable. The really bad albums I have are, The Carpenters Songbook as performed by The L. A. Connection, The Young Lovers Carpenters Song Book, and the worst of all, The House of Random sings The Best Of The Carpenters. Should be House of Horrors. It’s so bad. There’s also a ballroom Carpenters album on iTunes. It has mediocre cuts that were Carpenters hits. The music is rewritten to sound like waltzes, rumbas, fox-trots and tangos. It’s bizarre, but it kind of works. Anyway Matt, try the Boston Pops. I think Harry might have some others I didn’t mention? Good luck.

I think Kostalenetz is more likely than this Reader’s Digest version, but since I’m reliving my used record finds, here it is:

Back in 1975 or 1976 when I was 10 & 11 years old, I heard an instrumental version of The Carpenters "For All We Know" (with violins at the beginning of the song & middle & end) on "Beautiful 102" WGER in Bay City, Michigan (102.5 FM) back then. I do not know who did that instrumental though??

Chances are it’s one of those long lost budget albums that surfaced as a one off licenced compilation which was then deleted. My money’s on the Boston Pops as well, or something similar to the many Richard Clayderman-type albums that always seem to have been popular. I hope you find it though and I did even have a quick look online for you - the closest I could find in the search results was by someone called Norm Geller. If this is ‘For All We Know’ then I’m Quincy Jones :laugh:

Last edited:
Chances are it’s one of those long lost budget albums that surfaced as a one off licenced compilation which was then deleted. My money’s on the Boston Pops as well, or something similar to the many Richard Clayderman-type albums that always seem to have been popular. I hope you find it though and I did even have a quick look online for you - the closest I could find in the search results was by someone called Norm Geller. If this is ‘For All We Know’ then I’m Quincy Jones :laugh:

Newvillefan -

This version of "For All We Know" is a completely different song with the same title written by J. Fred coots & Sam M. Lewis and published in 1934. I think it was very popular during the World War II years. Bette Midler sang this version in her film "One For The Boys". It's a nice song, though of course not Carpenters. I wonder how Karen would have sounded singing this version. Here are the lyrics:

For all we know
We may never meet again
Before we go
Make this moment live again
We won't say goodbye
Until the last minute
I'll hold out my hand
And my heart will be in it
For all we know
This might only be a dream
We come and we go
Like the ripples, like the ripples in the stream
So baby, love me, love me tonight
Tomorrow was made for some
Oh, but tomorrow
But tomorrow may never, never come
For all we know
Yes, tomorrow may never, never come
For all we know

Nope, not the 1934 version. I checked YouTube BUT they don't have the instrumental version I was looking for.

Pleasure to meet you, Mister Jones !! :D

That "For All We Know" is considered part of "The Great American Songbook". The Andrews Sisters performed it during WWII.
Yes, exactly - beautiful song with the longing feel of "I'll Be Seeing You" - I have a lush version of this by Nat King Cole, and I think it's on one of my Ella albums...

While I was looking for Kostelanetz’ orchestral version of “For All We Know” (which is gorgeous), I came across his version of “We’ve Only Just Begun,” where the intro just hurts my brain!

Thrift store instrumental pop record bingo time! So far we’ve covered Arthur Fiedler & the Boston Pops, Andre Kostelanetz, Reader’s Digest, Franck Pourcel, and more; here’s Ferrante & Teicher (strings in part of it) :

And 101 Strings with Alshire Singers is on Spotify; I’m not crazy about the vocalist who sounds 11.

Festival Strings:

Mantovani:

Still not those probably The Good Music Company might have done it. (Saw that on the Music Choice cable channel).

Back
Top Bottom