For All We Know/You're The One-youtube

This lady sings a bit of FOR ALL WE KNOW and YOU'RE THE ONE....

She sounds very nice. I could done without her changing the lyrics to "You're The One" at the end. She disrupts the intent and goes for the simpler emotion instead. Not a fan of that. Beyond that, she has a nice, warm sound.

Ed

I've always been wondering about the lyrics of the song "For All We Know."
What does the lyricist really want to say here?
Are they saying that the two protagonists of the song
are not yet in love with each other
and that love may grow later on but neither of the two is
sure about it?

If so, does the song convey some sense of resignation?
Why, for what purpose, do you think the lyricist wanted
to release this song to the world? Is the lyricist cynical
about love in general? Or are they just at a point where
they can no longer believe in the physical, passionate, almost blind
kind of love that is typically prevalent among the young and naive,
and where they may want to nurture a new kind of love,
the kind of love that can be grown through many years of
interaction between the two, even if there is a possibility
that no love will grow out of the process?

I'm asking this question because I'm not a native
speaker of English and would like to know what native speakers
usually understand from the song. I know well that
how to appreciate poems and songs is up to appreciators.
But still, I wanted to make sure that I was not making a
complete mistake in trying to interpret the song.

Here are the lyrics:
Love, look at the two of us
Strangers in many ways
We've got a lifetime to share
So much to say
And as we go from day to day
I'll feel you close to me
But time alone will tell

Let's take a lifetime to say
I knew you well
For only time will tell us so
And love may grow
For all we know
Carpenters – For All We Know

Sorry, maybe I was not expressing myself well enough. Let me say now that I don't care too much about what the lyricist's intention is. What I do care is about how English native speakers typically interpret the words of the main protagonist here, the one saying these things.

He or she is saying "Love may grow for all we know." Are they then implying that they don't have high hopes about the possibility of love growing out of the process? They're also saying, "(We're) strangers in many ways." Does this mean that even though they know they're strangers in many ways, they still want to share their lives, maybe by living together? Or do they perhaps mean that everyone's love is more or less this way? I mean, even though many young and naive people may be very passionately in love with each other, believing firmly that their love will never fade away, they're actually already like strangers in many ways?

In a word, is the protagonist here implying that all people, however deeply they may believe in their love and their capacity of love, that kind of love is, ultimately, always groundless and that the reality is that if there is any such thing as love in the world, all that exists is the kind of love that grow out of hard, rational work? And has the protagonist also already given up somewhat on the possibility of any such love growing even many years from now?

I always took it to be about a couple who are extremely fond of each other but are not quite in love with each other and are getting married, hoping for the best and saying only time will tell; we could fall in love for all we know.

Back
Top Bottom