For Richard: A story of appreciation for The Carpenters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Rudolph

Richard,
It is my hope that you will actually get to read this, and that it doesn't seem strange to read a story from someone you don't know. Perhaps you have grown accustomed to this over the years. Like you, I have been blessed with a sister that is one of the most important people in my life. She received the first Carpenters album when she was about 10 years old as a Christmas gift from our cousins in the early 70's. Nobody could have imagined the impact and the influence of your music that began that day! As the years went by and her collection of your records grew, so did her love of music and the discovery of her vocal talents, as well as playing the piano. At some point a drum set found its way into our basement! The Carpenters music had , in a sense, become a soundtrack of sorts for her dreams of moving to California and going to school. Being a few years younger, I had not realized at the time that the music had also become, and will always be, something very special to me as well. I grew up listening to her play the records every day and falling asleep to them every night. I can remember waiting up for her to come home from her first Carpenters concert and wishing I could have gone. The dreams and music continued to play and then came the news in 1983. She wept and I quietly went upstairs and did the same.
In 1985 she did indeed pack her small car full of whatever it could hold and made her way from Ohio to California. I remember watching her drive away with the front end of that little car pointing upward from all of the weight in the trunk and being so nervous until we got the call that she had arrived. Not long after, she was studying music in Frank Pooler's class at CSULB, as well as being able to meet you on more than one or two occasions. Today she still resides in Long Beach with her husband.
My first trip to California was to proudly attend her graduation in 1989. The day after, I got in my rental car not to go to the beach, or Hollywood or any other typical destination, but to Downey to see the house from the album cover I had looked at so many times over the years. It was just a quick stop to see a part of something that had been such an inspiration to my sister, and that continues to be a part of so many wonderful memories for me. Your music and Karen's voice will forever live in our hearts.
Nothing left to say but thank you and may God bless you both.

Interesting story. If Richard happens to notice your post,he'll definitely be intrigued by your name-Mark Rudolph was Richard's cousin,and brother-in-law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom