For sale: Rare or hard to find list of Carpenters items

I paid $55.00 for a white label promo of the Offering LP. My local record dealer knew my admiration of CarpenterS and found it on his many hunts. The sound is incredible and no evidence of any surface noise. The only minus is it has someone’s name stamped on the outside of the LP cover front and back. Why on earth would someone stamp their name is beyond me.

I remember comparing it to my regular orchre label Offering and the WLP has a fuller sound with better highs and clarity.

Why on earth would someone stamp their name is beyond me.

It was a "thing" back then. Many folks would lend copies of their records to friends, so some sort of ID helped identify who owned the record. I actually used to etch my initials in the clear runout grooves of records that I lent to friends. That way, if pressings got mixed up, I could tell which one was mine.

It was a "thing" back then. Many folks would lend copies of their records to friends, so some sort of ID helped identify who owned the record. I actually used to etch my initials in the clear runout grooves of records that I lent to friends. That way, if pressings got mixed up, I could tell which one was mine.
Yep, address labels, stamps, or just writing a name on the jacket. Also many folks carried records to parties and if one got left behind, they knew who left it.

I believe I might've exaggerated a little with $1000 for "Offering", that is more what the Magic Lamp 45 (Looking For Love/I'll Be Yours) is going for. Does anyone in this forum have a copy of that record? If so, what condition is it in and how much did you pay for it (if you don't mind my asking)?

Speaking of Magic Lamp, this is currently on ebay. I didn't know Jan & Dean were associated with that label;

Last edited:
I found my copy at a killer record store in Kansas City, Mo., in 1984. It’s in good shape. I had filled out an index card years before, which had stated I was looking for it. Amazingly, they remembered and called me when it turned up in a trade.

I’ve since found a beautiful copy that’s probably Mint- at a store in Chicago. Paid $34.95. Pretty lucky in both cases.

Yes. I got my mint copy in 1980 for $10 and a Beatles Sgt. Peppers picture disc. Pretty fair trade I think. I haven’t played it in 40 years. Plus 6 copies of Offering on vinyl. One is a promo a friend gave me. Richard also signed one copy after his Christmas concert with Scott Grimes in Orange County. I showed the Magic Lamp single to him that night. He also signed my GDB2LV sheet music. He was hesitant to sign the album cover. He thought it might ruin it. Lol

They featured a beautiful one of a kind dress jacket worn by Karen, that she bought at a store called the Pleasure Dome in Hollywood in 1975. It has a Beatles Yellow Submarine theme all over it, and says Just For Karen under the back panel. Very unique and cool. There was a picture of her wearing it next to the actual jacket They valued it at $2,000-$3,000.
Antiques Road Show 1/15/2018 Harrisburg.

has anyone ever seen a poster of MADE IN AMERICA ? what i am wanting is a full front and back of the album so that it shows karen's hair flowing across the span, like a double jacket cover.

I think there was a fold out one in Billboard Magazine maybe????? Please correct me if that’s wrong. I don’t remember a full size poster for the album. Maybe a single cover from ousting the USA that folded out? Maybe Billy knows.

I remember the EV WALLACE gave me in about 1989 or 1990 the mini pic of KC and RC's MADE IN AMERICA fan club card without the logo or Made In America on it....I wish I still had it.

I paid $55.00 for a white label promo of the Offering LP. My local record dealer knew my admiration of CarpenterS and found it on his many hunts. The sound is incredible and no evidence of any surface noise. The only minus is it has someone’s name stamped on the outside of the LP cover front and back. Why on earth would someone stamp their name is beyond me.

I remember comparing it to my regular orchre label Offering and the WLP has a fuller sound with better highs and clarity.

I bought my copy of Offering for $25 last year, and the disc itself has some moderate surface noise, but still listenable and the sleeve is very clean! I guess I got lucky?? :)

Those are great finds! I recently saw a Canadian pressing of Offering on a local site for $55 without the original inner sleeve but the record was indicated as VG+ (it looked accurate from the photos). If I bought it I would have sold it but I wasn't sure if people would want a copy without the inner sleeve. Now I'm wondering if the $55 could have been negotiated for lower!

has anyone ever seen a poster of MADE IN AMERICA ? what i am wanting is a full front and back of the album so that it shows karen's hair flowing across the span, like a double jacket cover.
Just to answer your question, yes there was an official A&M poster of Made in America. It was offered to purchase from the fan club. Here are some pics just for reference.
This is page 2 of 4 from the fan club flyer, it shows the MIA posters.
kwkCEjr.jpg

Here are the posters for reference, note the A&M logo.
4ByZxQt.jpg

q0zPWyk.jpg

Just to answer your question, yes there was an official A&M poster of Made in America. It was offered to purchase from the fan club. Here are some pics just for reference.
kwkCEjr.jpg

4ByZxQt.jpg

q0zPWyk.jpg
I think the poster on the top was scattered around in some scenes of the Karen Carpenter Story, earlier in the movie than it should have been, if I recall correctly.

kwkCEjr.jpg

4ByZxQt.jpg

q0zPWyk.jpg
Thanks for sharing! Never seen these before.

I think the poster on the top was scattered around in some scenes of the Karen Carpenter Story, earlier in the movie than it should have been, if I recall correctly.
thanks for the information. it has been decades since i saw the KAREN CARPENTER STORY, but i think the image used was actually of cynthia gibb and mitchell anderson made in the style of the MIA cover.

It was an alteration of the original poster featuring the actors and can be seen on the outside wall of the venue where they are rehearsing Love Is Surrender, right at the moment where Sherwin Bash is on the telephone arranging a booking and saying “they got the number one record in the country, so what if they’re new?”. And yes, it did have the album name Made In America across the bottom, over a decade too early :)

I received a promo cd single from England today of Richard Carpenter performing Karen’s Theme and Bless The Beasts And The Children on it. An item I didn’t know existed until a couple of weeks ago. It’s very nice, with a thick cardboard cover, larger picture of Richard with his face leaning on his left hand. Taken from same photo shoot for his album I’m guessing. Both lp versions it says on the back.

I received a promo cd single from England today of Richard Carpenter performing Karen’s Theme and Bless The Beasts And The Children on it. An item I didn’t know existed until a couple of weeks ago. It’s very nice, with a thick cardboard cover, larger picture of Richard with his face leaning on his left hand. Taken from same photo shoot for his album I’m guessing. Both lp versions it says on the back.

Very nice! I’ve only ever known this as a Japanese promo CD single release, with the catalogue number AMCDP 00590, which for me ranks up there on the collectibility rating with Karen’s Japanese CD single of Make Believe It’s Your First Time. I assume it’s the Japanese promo CD single purchased from a UK seller?

I bought it from someone in England, but it says Made In The USA on it. A&MCDP 00590. The cover says A&M Records a Polygram company P.O. Box 118 Hollywood, Ca. So it’s an USA pressing that made its way across the pond and back. I thought it was a Japanese only promo too. Same picture on the cover.

Hi,
Do you have the other pages scanned of the fan club memorabilia? it would be interesting to see the other things shown....I applied too late in 1989 and they were disbanding....I always wondered what the previous concert programs were like....I bought the 1973 program.....

Back
Top Bottom