Foreign Natives

Steven J. Gross

It took me a while but I finally realized the tune playing in my head was Foreign Natives from the Herb and Hugh Main Event Live album.
I was at the live concert at the Roxy in LA in 1978. Wasn't really that impressed at the time but this tune really sounds fresh today.
I'll be re-listening and reananalysing the whole album soon I'm sure..

I've always liked that album, although I never played it much. Probably because I had first purchased it on cassette, and A&M's cassettes in that era were low-fi at best. I sitll played it enough to learn all the music and store it in my memory banks, though. I like the free-wheeling nature of the album. First time we'd ever heard Herb on record stretch out that much.

I think @Mr Bill was at that Roxy concert also...

Nicely done. That single was tough to get hold of -- even in LA! Despite fairly heavy play on KBCA (LA's Jazz station) I had to order it several times through at least two different stores before I secured a copy...

And (as Rudy said) I was there at the concert with my date. Both of us being only 17 we had hand stamps and wristbands to ensure we weren't served any booze! What a magical night that was for me. My first concert ever and my first Herb concert. Sadly, it was our last date... My "fuddy duddy" taste in music likely dooming the relationship. :laugh:

--Mr Bill

Nicely done. That single was tough to get hold of -- even in LA! Despite fairly heavy play on KBCA (LA's Jazz station) I had to order it several times through at least two different stores before I secured a copy...

And (as Rudy said) I was there at the concert with my date. Both of us being only 17 we had hand stamps and wristbands to ensure we weren't served any booze! What a magical night that was for me. My first concert ever and my first Herb concert. Sadly, it was our last date... My "fuddy duddy" taste in music likely dooming the relationship. :laugh:

--Mr Bill
I'm not too far behind you age wise I was 11 and I was continually bullied for having "Uncool" taste in music so I can totally understand and relate the struggles were real besides popularity was way over-rated anyway.

That single was tough to get hold of -- even in LA!
I hadn't ever thought that they released a single from MAIN EVENT. It looks as though 2107-S was the only one that they did, with "Mama Way" on the flip. I managed to find one on Discogs.

"Mama Way" was one of the songs they did NOT do at the concerts and was recorded "live" at A&M later. If you listen you can hear the "room presence" difference between the Roxy tracks and A&M tracks.

@Bobberman... Yeah... I was mocked for liking "parent music" through out Junoir High and High School... But I didn't;t care . I was not "cool" which meant I didn't smoke dope (or do other drugs) and have sex with the class sl*ts. It allowed me to focus Amy time and $ on my music and filmmaking, which were more important to me. And since I now make my living off those things, I have no regrets over my choices.

--Mr Bill

As I recall, there may have been two nights of the live Main Event shows, I was at the Roxy several times in a week then because all my faves were playing the venue, Todd Rundgren and Al Kooper one after another. June 1978..

"Mama Way" was one of the songs they did NOT do at the concerts and was recorded "live" at A&M later. If you listen you can hear the "room presence" difference between the Roxy tracks and A&M tracks.

@Bobberman... Yeah... I was mocked for liking "parent music" through out Junoir High and High School... But I didn't;t care . I was not "cool" which meant I didn't smoke dope (or do other drugs) and have sex with the class sl*ts. It allowed me to focus Amy time and $ on my music and filmmaking, which were more important to me. And since I now make my living off those things, I have no regrets over my choices.

--Mr Bill
I totally understand and my focus was on Music and Radio and I was wanting a permanent True Love not just playing the field like you I prioritized my life and still do and I'm thankful that I made the better choices as I'm still here and still enjoying the music I sought after all these many years

As I recall, there may have been two nights of the live Main Event shows,...
Yes. There were two concerts on the 17th and two on the 18th. All four were recorded (according to my contacts). I was at the first one the first night. Being 17 at the time I couldn't be out too late (especially considering I'd totaled my parent's car, a Datsun 710 wagon, earlier that afternoon forcing me to take our 1970 Toyota Corona), particularly if I wanted to have time to make out with my 17-year-old date on the way home at Zuma Beach on the way back after the concert, LoL... I often wonder where she is now...

--Mr Bill

Back
Top Bottom