**Forum Announcement - PLEASE READ**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with pretty much all of Chris's original post, mainly because it addresses some things that have concerned me, due to my own preferences with regard to posting. But I admit that when I read this:

I had a feeling that would come across to some like a direct criticism, one to be taken personally ... and it appears that has indeed been the case. Can't unring that bell now.

I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings, as I think I should have delineated this a little better. This was more in general a reaction to the multiple posts about the same things. It seemed for a while we were getting into these long-winded and very opinionated discussions, for instance surrounding the solo album where there was a reiteration about the same points. It was becoming a little stifling.

However like Harry mentioned, there are certainly times where multiple posting is necessary - AND, there are no rules about multiple posting nor am I about to try and dictate how many posts are allowed, so I completely apologize to everyone if I came off too harsh. We probably should have addressed some of these issues sooner so the reaction wouldn't have come across overdue and potentially hurtful. :)

I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings, as I think I should have delineated this a little better. This was more in general a reaction to the multiple posts about the same things. It seemed for a while we were getting into these long-winded and very opinionated discussions, for instance surrounding the solo album where there was a reiteration about the same points. It was becoming a little stifling.
Just to be clear, I didn't mean to imply that you meant any deliberate harm. I know that was nowhere in your intentions. But it seems that no matter what, even when we try our best to be clear, words and intentions can be misinterpreted. I think you did your best to state your concerns. And, as I said before, I agree with pretty much all of it. It had not become stifling to the point that I felt compelled to leave, as has been the case for me elsewhere. I think your initial post was just a good reminder to check over our musings before posting, just to make sure that while expressing our own heartfelt opinions, we are being considerate and respectful of others. We need those reminders sometimes.

GaryAlan, after the dust settles I hope you will continue to enrich us with your excellent research skills which provided this site with never been seen before articles, quotes and videos. As a dedicated fan who had the opportunity and honor to meet the Carpenters in a private setting, I thought I knew just about everything concerning their career and music. Thanks to your due diligence, I have picked up bits and pieces of neat information that I was not aware and I will sincerely miss your posts. Best to you and thanks!

GaryAlan, after the dust settles I hope you will continue to enrich us with your excellent research skills which provided this site with never been seen before articles, quotes and videos. As a dedicated fan who had the opportunity and honor to meet the Carpenters in a private setting, I thought I knew just about everything concerning their career and music. Thanks to your due diligence, I have picked up bits and pieces of neat information that I was not aware and I will sincerely miss your posts. Best to you and thanks!
Portlander, please share your experience!

Has anyone had a private conversation with GaryAlan since all this blew up? It's hard to believe he would just leave after getting upset with one post.

Having said that, I left a Facebook forum a while back because it really seemed to me to be veering in a Richard "bashing" direction, and that seemed to be supported by those in charge of the page. I just was not comfortable with that.

Unfortunately, it did/does seem to me that this site does descend into "Richard bashing" quite frequently and, at least in my opinion, makes what once was a "serious" forum on K&R (and by association, A&M Records) seem no different from other sites I once frequented that also did the same. Some things some folks say about Richard or even infer about him make me cringe. I use to try and provide "balance" in my posts, often defending Richard from a human dignity point of view, but more time than not, these careless (at a minimum) and libelous (at the extreme) statements go unchallenged and add to the ugly and untrue portrayal that Richard and Agnes conspired to kill Karen. It becomes exhausting and after a while I, too, stopped posting here because of it. And if it wore out a nobody like me, I'm sure there is absolutely NO hope Richard himself would ever contribute to this forum after reading some of the things stated here.
I applaud Chris and Harry for bringing this up. It is long overdue; however, to quote Hillary Clinton, at this point "what difference does it make?"

Point taken y'all. I'm certain everyone understands logistics and the terminology therein. Lets move along . This topic's tired resurgence breeds fatigue at best. The chips will fall where they may. There's been some unfortunate fall-out and perhaps some fortunate detail. That said, I'll not check this topic again.

Jeff

A word from Nobel Prize Winner Eugene Wigner:
"Altogether, it is a pleasure to read the article, even though one can't always agree with it.
I hope you don't mind my saying this honestly, but, if we talk about history we should be honest
and not deny tiny, tiny weaknesses in very, very inspiring papers."
(Page 163, Nuclear Physics in Retrospect,1977).

More recently (2015),
Physicist Kenneth Ford published a Memoir,
the Department of Energy asked him to excise about 10% of this publication.
Newspapers picked up on the story.
It , then (last week) reached #1 on Amazon Bestsellers in Science.
"He says he included the disputed material because it had been disclosed elsewhere
and helped him paint a fuller picture of an important chapter of American history.
But after he volunteered the manuscript for a security review,
federal officials told him to remove about 10 per cent of the text, or roughly 5000 words
."
http://www.afr.com/news/world/north...-foul-of-us-energy-department-20150407-1mcp4g

And, this, in:
Pedro G. Ferreira, The Perfect Theory, A Century of Geniuses and the Battle Over General Relativity,2014, Page 81,
"Samuel Goudsmit, editor of Physical Review, the premier physics journal in the USA,
took a dim view of General Relativity and threatened to ban publication of papers on Gravitation."

Why the Vignettes? (At that, from Physicists !).
Only to pointedly emphasize that America was predicated on Free Speech.
Not, simply, on 'agreeable' speech.
In my brief time away, I have continued to read the thoughtful and insightful commentary.
And, I must say, again, the Members in this Forum are an intelligent and passionate group.
I believe each of you should feel very proud of your postings.
Nothing I have (re)read by any Member need be retracted.
And,
Again, thanks for the support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom