*FORUM FLASHBACK*: The Singles, 1969-1973

Which Version(s) Do You Prefer?

• I LIKE 'EM REAL FAST!

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • IF IT AIN'T BROKE, WHY FIX IT--I LIKE THE ORIGINAL SPEEDS!

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
I thought it would be fun to start a new thread idea called "FORUM FLASHBACK", where we could pull up older archived topics and revisit them.

DATE: 07/26/02
AUTHOR: "testerguy35"
TOPIC: SuperStar/Rainy Days/Goodbye to love medley on Singles CD;

"Does anyone know why the SuperStar/Rainy Days/Goodbye to love medley on the Singles 1969-1973 CD is sped up? If you listen to the tracks, they are the original recordings, but they are slightly faster (you can also hear this from Karen's voice sounding different). Did Rich speed them up to save space on the LP and give them the same speed for consistency? I've always wondered about this." -Steve

Richard Carpenter personally answers the question, which was featured in the "FANS ASK" portion of his website:

“One of them years ago, I think ‘Rainy Days And Mondays’ or ‘Goodbye To Love’, at my request, was vso’d (a machine called a ‘variable speed oscillator’). For the single, rather than slowing the one back to original speed, we sped up the other two to match, much to my regret in later years. The original LP version was too slow, in my mind, for a single. They aren’t pitched to a degree that would make a different key. Compared to the same songs on the original LPs, one (‘Rainy Days And Mondays’ or ‘Goodbye To Love’) was speeded up. In later days for remix I returned all that had been vso’d to their original speeds.”

I have always enjoyed this compilation, as it really serves as an album all on it's own, with the "Close To You" intro, the segues, etc. It is a classic! -Chris

When it comes to Karen's voice, for me, the lower the better! Although I do like the remixes, I prefer the original speeds.

I was real happy with the Remastered version returning these three to their correct speed. For years, if you wanted to hear the original mix of "Superstar", all that was available on CD was the SINGLES 69-73 version, which was not only speeded up but segued into the next track. The 1998-99 release of the Remastered tan album finally brought that original mix to CD.

Harry

Harry said:
For years, if you wanted to hear the original mix of "Superstar", all that was available on CD was the SINGLES 69-73 version, which was not only speeded up but segued into the next track. The 1998-99 release of the Remastered tan album finally brought that original mix to CD.

Most people don't know this, but "Superstar" on THE SINGLES, 1969-1973 album is actually a remix and *not* the original mix. The opening harp was re-recorded, electric piano brought down (particularly in the last fill segueing to the final chorus), and the backing vocals pushed up in the mix during the second and third choruses.

All of that aside, I agree that the original album speeds sound the very best. And since we are on the subject of "Superstar", my two favorite mixes are the original from the "Tan" album, and the 1985 remix, which was the same mix featured in the Karen Carpenter Story with newly and beefier recorded drum tracks. -Chris

Chris May said:
Harry said:
For years, if you wanted to hear the original mix of "Superstar", all that was available on CD was the SINGLES 69-73 version, which was not only speeded up but segued into the next track. The 1998-99 release of the Remastered tan album finally brought that original mix to CD.

Most people don't know this, but "Superstar" on THE SINGLES, 1969-1973 album is actually a remix and *not* the original mix. The opening harp was re-recorded, electric piano brought down (particularly in the last fill segueing to the final chorus), and the backing vocals pushed up in the mix during the second and third choruses.

Yes, my wording was unclear there. I should have said that the SINGLES version was as close as one could get to the original mix on CD (up to the point in time of the Tan album Remastered Classic issue), considering the speed-up, the segue, and the subtle changes to the parts you mentioned.

I'm happy that Richard has finally come to terms with the original mix, as it's since seen a few other releases on compilations.

Harry

Harry said:
Yes, my wording was unclear there. I should have said that the SINGLES version was as close as one could get to the original mix on CD (up to the point in time of the Tan album Remastered Classic issue), considering the speed-up, the segue, and the subtle changes to the parts you mentioned.

Very true. I figured you knew that, but I don't know if many others have paid attention to it. I would have to bet that "Superstar" has probably been the most remixed song in the entire catalog! If we did a count (HELP ME WITH THIS, HARRY), it would look something like this (didn't we cover this once?):

1) Original-"Tan" Album 1971
2) "The Singles, '69-'73"
3) "Yesterday Once More" 1985
4) "From The Top" 1991
5) "Best of Best+Master Karaoke" 1992 (Also featured on "Interpretations")
6) "Singles '69-'81" [SACD]

What else have I left out?

What's REALLY bizzarre is that the '85 remix is my favorite, as I awoke to it this morning playing on the radio. -Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom