Fox Hunt

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
I've always wondered what Herb (or someone) says at the end of "Fox Hunt" as the music ends. It almost sounds like, "Without Her..."

Does anyone know? I've played it countless times and can't figure it out.

Jon

Wow, I've never heard that. And since I'm like 7000 miles form my collection (with a busted gfn turntable to boot) I'm not likely to hear it any time soon.

My favorite recorded sounds are the breathing & clothes rustling in the break in "Darlin'" and Steve Schaeffer's "grunt" in the drum intro to "Coney Island."

--Mr Bill

That's a new one on me too. I just played the end of "Fox Hunt" a bunch of times and I don't hear anything verbal. I even checked both the "C.R.C." version and the standard A&M, but to no avail. Are you sure it's "Fox Hunt?"

Harry
...maybe looking in all the wrong places, online...

I don't hear it, either. There's something at the end of "Dida", though, which just sounds like laughing.

Capt. Bacardi
...wondering what voices Brasil Nut is hearing online... :o

Steven J. Gross said:
Heck of a good song, whatever is "in it".

The record peaked at #84 in 1974. Too bad it didn't chart higher - I always thought it was a great return to the traditional TjB sound.

Though it's never been included in any compilations, it holds its rightful place on my countdown of TjB chart hits.

But I still don't hear anyone verbalizing on it...

Harry
NP: "Fox Hunt" - Herb Alpert & The TjB

20 years ago, I used to listen to "You Smile" and "Coney Island" and they sounded worlds away from earlier TJB material. Today, when I listen to those albums they sound only a step away from "Brass Are Comin'" and "Summertime". Songs like "Promises, Promises" or "I Have Dreamed" seem like they could have easily been from earlier albums. I guess as I get older 5 or 6 years seems like a lot less time.

I acquired my 45 copy of "Fox Hunt" at the closeout sale of an old White Front store, back in the mid '70s. The 45 has the ending vocal, although the album version doesn't.

Maybe I'm hearing things again. :shock:

Jon

A-HA! It's on the 45.... I don't think I have that one.

Harry
...noting perhaps another album/single difference, online...

Southwest Jon said:
I acquired my copy...at the closeout sale of an old White Front store...

White Front! Jon, you and Steve Gross bring back so many memories from growing up in California in the 60s and 70s. After I return from Japan I vote we have a California A&M Corner get-together (with others from elsewhere invited to drop by, of course)

--Mr Bill
who's planning to drop in unexpectedly on one of his corner cronies this fall :wink:

brasil_nut said:
I acquired my 45 copy of "Fox Hunt" at the closeout sale of an old White Front store, back in the mid '70s. The 45 has the ending vocal, although the album version doesn't.

Interesting--I have the 45. I do hear something, barely audible. Still can't make it out! I've "enhanced" it a bit and included the end of the song for a reference point.

http://www.amcorner.com/media/FoxHunt.mp3

The volume change is abrupt toward the end, so beware. I compressed it a bit so it would even things out a little.

Sounds like someone's saying, "You LIKE that..." or, "You TRY that..."...but it's almost impossible to tell...

Dan, thinking it could be Herb saying "I'll BUY that..."; and wishing he'd respond to an invitation to visit with us and tell us just what went on in the session.

Well...glad I'm not hearing things that aren't there! I noticed it the first time I listened to the single back in the early '70s. I remember playing it for both of my parents, who couldn't figure out what he says, either. However, to my ears, it always sounded like "Without her" -- which was interesting, seeing as he'd recorded this tune on WARM. Every time I'd listen to WARM, I'd think of "Fox Hunt" and vice-versa. Just one of those things you get stuck in your head, you know?

Jon

Sounds like Herb for sure and seems like he's saying "(it's) out there." But what I find striking -- and it could be because it's recorded off a used 45 -- is how it sounds almost like an intentional edit. As if instead of cutting blank white mylar between tunes (or as leader/trailer in the case of a 45 mix) a piece of used tape that may have been assumed to be silent or unused was cut in.

I know that may sound crazy (and since I never worked in sound in the music business I may be off my rocker) but this is not a completely insane concept. When I was in the film and TV sound biz we would ALWAYS record a minute of "presence" -- that is the natural sound of the set or location if in the field. This is because there is no such thing as true or absolute "silence" and every room has a "tone." Anyway, this minute was used by the sound editor wherever ther was no dialogue or sound FX (or music). It's all part of the "sweetening" process. I see no reason why the same couldn't hold true for recorded music. Going from the tone of, say A&M studio B to the absolute silence of mylar leader may be jarring and they decided to put some "room tone" there and inadvertantly included a piece of tape with Herb talkng in the studio. One can assume they fixed it for the LP release (didn't the single precede the LP by about a month?) or faded it faster in the LP mix...

--Mr Bill

I picked up a copy of "Chove Chuva" the same day that unfortunately ended up being scratched. The song opens with, "Chove chow-a..." and goes on from there! For a minute, I thought was hearing things. Sounds like I picked up a couple of "White Front" winners that day, huh? No wonder they went out of business! :oops:

Jon

I'm not sure about stereo era singles, but I know the mono singles were often a unique mix. One thought though--if "Fox Hunt" were recorded and released before the full album, this may have been before an album edit cleaned it up and got rid of the studio patter.

The reason you can't figure out what Herb is saying is because you have to play it backwards. Then you will clearly hear Herb say "Screw off, Maynard"! :)

David,
making a funny, online...................

I've just been revisiting this 15! year old thread. I happen to have two different "Fox Hunt" 45s in my collection now and can report this:

The stock 45 is the one that has the extraneous chatter at the end.
The promo 45 has the song in both stereo and mono - and neither have the extra chatter.

The stock 45 has run-off info of: A+M 2652S-T2 and at the opposite side in the runoff it looks like it says T/11.
The promo 45 (stereo) run-off is: A+M 2652S(RE-1)-M2. It's a Monarch pressing with a Δ94255.
The promo 45 (mono) run-off is: A+M 2652(RE-1)-M1. Δ94254.

The chatter is too far buried in the noisy stock 45 for me to tell what's being said.

Back
Top Bottom