"Freight Train Joe" again

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
I do like the song "Freight Train Joe" as well as all of the songs on "S.R.O." (1966) when I was a little 5 or 6 year old growing up back in 1970 or 1971 when my late dad bought the MONO album version. I do like the marimba part of the song!! My favorite album by Herb & The Tijuana Brass!!

FTJ is an ok song, but in my honest opinion, it's the worst song on the very best album by the TJB, SRO. It's the one tune on the album which I can't really describe as "great". Just like Clete Boyer was the worst player on the 1961 Yankees, it doesn't mean he was a terrible ballplayer. But he certainly wasn't great like the rest of the lineup.

I find it a pleasant enough song, but don't go out of my way to hear it either. Just part of my journey through S.R.O.

"Freight Train Joe" was written by John Pisano and is the next-to-last track on S.R.O., in between "For Carlos" and "Flamingo". (Three songs in a row that start with "F"!).

John Pisano has three writing credits on S.R.O, more than on any other TjB album. His other two tunes were co-written with Alpert, Wechter, Ceroli.

"Freight Train Joe" was written by John Pisano and is the next-to-last track on S.R.O., in between "For Carlos" and "Flamingo". (Three songs in a row that start with "F"!).

John Pisano has three writing credits on S.R.O, more than on any other TjB album. His other two tunes were co-written with Alpert, Wechter, Ceroli.
John Pisano really wrote some great songs.

I must say that the one sleeper song on SRO that grew on me was "For Carlos". Loved the soft parts with trumpet & marimba playing off each other. It's such a cool song. Was glad to see the song resurrected as "Wind Song" on Montgomery's lp.

I must say that the one sleeper song on SRO that grew on me was "For Carlos". Loved the soft parts with trumpet & marimba playing off each other. It's such a cool song. Was glad to see the song resurrected as "Wind Song" on Montgomery's lp.
Very early on I discovered the charms of "For Carlos". Then again it may have been that it was an easy one to play on trumpet as I was learning!

Very early on I discovered the charms of "For Carlos". Then again it may have been that it was an easy one to play on trumpet as I was learning!
I played that one a lot during my trumpet playing days too i can say it was and still is an easy song to play even just playing by ear like I did much of Herb's music is pretty easy to figure out and once you do figure it out and Practice often it can be a very good hobby just for fun. I recently got back into playing ( back in August) after 34 years since I tried to give it up under duress and I lived in a musically hostile town at the time and my current neighbors seem to enjoy it ( I don't play after dark though as per city noise ordinance of course)

My main instrument of study was the piano and I took lessons for a number of years as a child. Both my first and second teachers "advanced" me as far as they could and pushed me onto a third teacher that I didn't like, so I finally dropped lessons. By then, I was more interested listening to music on records and found the TjB, and decided to try teaching myself the trumpet. Because I was self-taught, I never spent much time on technique, rather I was more interested in just hitting the right notes. As a result, my playing of the horn wasn't all that good, but at least I was having fun.

As adulthood and real life settled in, both the piano and trumpet playing became quite secondary, finally fading away. I still can play the piano a little, and with practice and the right sheet music, can probably polish up a song to decency. But I was never good at ad libbing. If it ain't wrote, it don't get played.

My trumpet sat in a case for nearly 50 years without a note ever coming out of it. The last time I picked it up, I couldn't get a note out of it. I blamed it on my mustache...

My main instrument of study was the piano and I took lessons for a number of years as a child. Both my first and second teachers "advanced" me as far as they could and pushed me onto a third teacher that I didn't like, so I finally dropped lessons. By then, I was more interested listening to music on records and found the TjB, and decided to try teaching myself the trumpet. Because I was self-taught, I never spent much time on technique, rather I was more interested in just hitting the right notes. As a result, my playing of the horn wasn't all that good, but at least I was having fun.

As adulthood and real life settled in, both the piano and trumpet playing became quite secondary, finally fading away. I still can play the piano a little, and with practice and the right sheet music, can probably polish up a song to decency. But I was never good at ad libbing. If it ain't wrote, it don't get played.

My trumpet sat in a case for nearly 50 years without a note ever coming out of it. The last time I picked it up, I couldn't get a note out of it. I blamed it on my mustache...
Well it happens i had piano lessons too before the trumpet myself but as you said at least you were having fun with it and for me that's how I felt too but I'm glad I can still play along with other instruments I been playing just for fun too having my old Yamaha midi keyboard as my band in a box is even more helpful than ever

Freight train Joe to me was a Good song I know there are a few detractors who don't like it but to me as I think I said before the SRO album wouldn't be the same without it

Back
Top Bottom