From Legal Eagles To Tijuana Brass 1958-1962

This is now available on Amazon and at a reasonable price. The label Jasmine is well known for issuing public-domain material. I haven't heard it, but obviously for collectors that don't have the singles..

81NxiiaTrKL._SL1200_.jpg

I decided to Nip things in the bud and buy this CD I got it today and I thought I'd give my review of it here even though this is a Gray area Euro release as Harry Stated I will say this collection isnt totally Bad but it could have been much more I felt it was unnecessary to include the Stereo tracks From "The Lonely Bull" but the true mono versions of the A and B sides of the aforementioned Single are included and they Sound pretty good to my ears Considering the Masters they had The Lonely bull"mono version here sounds a bit better than the mono version on "Definitive Hits" in my opinion and Tell it to the Birds sounds pretty good here too you will hear some surface like noise on most of the tracks keeping in mind what masters they were using There's no way to know if or when Herb will ever release his masters of these exact songs and we know there were Dore Alpert singles on A&M that sadly arent included here ( I would love to have those but they are impossible to find in decent shape) However at the price I paid around $13 about the same as what you expect to pay for Herb's reissues I would say this would be a good Stopgap purchase until Per chance Herb Decides to dig through his Vaults and Do a More Complete version of this Minus The Stereo Lonely bull songs which in a way sounds almost exactly like the Regular stereo mix of the original LP and in my opinion. UNNECESSARILY REDUNDANT .some of you may want to pass this one by and I wouldn't blame you but in my situation I was Curious and I have purchased import CDS before and they sounded fine since they were mostly reissues of albums I couldn't get Domestic versions of nevertheless I would Give this collection a grade of 3 and A Half stars out of five it would have been 5 stars if they had included The A&M Dore Alpert singles. And Left out The Stereo tracks from The Lonely Bull or at least used the Mono Mixes

I got ahold of a download of this CD and to be honest, it doesn't sound all that bad. Even though it misses a few tracks, it has enough of these rarities that it's worthwhile to pick up. Ignore the Lonely Bull tracks though--the latest remaster is the definitive version and this one won't hold a candle to it. (But at least as a download, I can delete the extra tracks and keep the rarities.)

The only thing on that disc that I don't own in some form or other is the single by The Roosters.

I got ahold of a download of this CD and to be honest, it doesn't sound all that bad. Even though it misses a few tracks, it has enough of these rarities that it's worthwhile to pick up. Ignore the Lonely Bull tracks though--the latest remaster is the definitive version and this one won't hold a candle to it. (But at least as a download, I can delete the extra tracks and keep the rarities.)
I agree when I ripped it to my computer I omitted everything after the mono mix of Acapulco 1922 and I agree The Latest Lonely Bull remaster is the definitive version which is why I mentioned adding the album tracks was unnecessary and redundant

... I agree The Latest Lonely Bull remaster is the definitive version which is why I mentioned adding the album tracks was unnecessary and redundant
For the simpletons like me, precisely which remaster would that be? A date, perhaps, or a link to said album? Thanks.

The most recent, remastered by Randy Badazz. As long as the issuing label is Herb Alpert Presents, that would be the title to get.
Thanks for the clarification, Rudy!

Regarding the 'From Legal Eagles To Tijuana Brass 1958-1962' album by Jasmine itself, I acquired it a couple of days ago and I consider it a reasonably worthy attempt at getting some of Herb's really early stuff back out on the market. Sure, probably only of real interest to dedicated Alpert fans, but at least the material is now readily available.

The thing that surprises me the most is that Jasmine Records is a UK outfit. I would have expected a USA company to be at the forefront of issuing something like this, but, as alluded to earlier in this thread, maybe there are grey areas of the law to be considered. Having had a look at Jamine's website (www.jasmine-records.co.uk), I have no concerns about illegality, but I am not a copyright expert.

I am just personally pleased that someone has taken on the release, allowing fans and completists access to the music without them having to spend a fortune searching for, and collecting (battered) originals. Is that really such a bad thing?

Since those recordings are on other labels that weren't A&M, theoretically they could all be licensed for a compilation if the copyright hasn't yet expired in whatever country the release is in. Whether or not this label bothered, and/or followed the copyright laws for their country, probably makes no difference one way or another. This is something that will sell very few copies, so it's not like any major financial loss would happen here either way. 😁

The thing that surprises me the most is that Jasmine Records is a UK outfit. I would have expected a USA company to be at the forefront of issuing something like this, but, as alluded to earlier in this thread, maybe there are grey areas of the law to be considered. Having had a look at Jamine's website (www.jasmine-records.co.uk), I have no concerns about illegality, but I am not a copyright expert.

I am just personally pleased that someone has taken on the release, allowing fans and completists access to the music without them having to spend a fortune searching for, and collecting (battered) originals. Is that really such a bad thing?

Nope, not a bad thing at all. These recordings have all languished in the dustbin of history, so by having this UK outfit do the dirty work of finding these tracks and compiling them is indeed a good thing. The copyright of all of this stuff is expired in the UK, so that's why it could be issued legally over there.

Out of curiosity, I too grabbed one of these just to see what the tracks sounded like. Most of them are pretty decent - all are lifted from vinyl as opposed to any kind of master tapes, and probably the worst of them are the tracks from THE LONELY BULL stereo album. That one's easily obtainable on Herb Alpert Presents, or event from the older Shout and A&M CDs, not to mention the myriad pressings on vinyl.

As I mentioned somewhere, there are two singles from the early A&M days that are among the missing. Both were issued under the Dore Alpert name.

Dina / You're Doin' What You Did With Me With Him
I'd Do It All Again / Special Kind Of Love

A few months ago, I put a really clean version of "Dina" up on YouTube.

While I own most of these on 45 vinyl, see myself probably buying this CD in the near future. The missing "Dore" tracks ("Dina," "Doing What You Did With Me With Him," "I'd Do It All Again" and "Special Kind of Love") are disappointing, the new "Rooster" tracks will hopefully make up for it!

An aside, Mrs Bill and I watched Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation last night, and it was interesting to note that at the time that was filmed, Herb was probably taking a road trip to Tijuana!

--Mr Bill

Weren't those missing tracks on Carnival or A&M? That may explain why they're not on the set.

They were on A&M and technically came AFTER "The Lonely Bull" based on catalog numbers.

Here's a track list from the Jasmine release.

I am surprised that the included the entirety of the Lonely Bull album, since HAP is supposedly the only venue for Herb's music these days. I'd say if you want one of these, best get it before it either goes out of print or some sharp-eyed legal team gets it shut down.

Kudos to the people at Jasmine for getting the band names right ("The Tijuana Brass featuring Herb Alpert" on the original TLB single).

1. Herb B Lou & The Legal Eagles The Trial
  2. Herb B Lou & The Legal Eagles Kiss Me
  3. Herbie Alpert & His Quartet Sweet Georgia Brown
  4. Herbie Alpert & His Quartet Vipers Blues
  5. Herbie Alpert & His Sextet Summer School
  6. Herbie Alpert & His Sextet The Hully Gully
  7. The Roosters Fun House
  8. The Roosters Chicken Hop
  9. The Roosters Fun House
  10. Herbie Alpert Finders Keepers
  11. Herbie Alpert This Game Called Love
  12. Dore Alpert Gonna Get A Girl
  13. Dore Alpert Dreamland
  14. Dore Alpert Little Lost Lover
  15. Dore Alpert Wont You Be My Valentine
  16. Dore Alpert Tell It To The Birds
  17. Dore Alpert Fallout Shelter
  18. The Tijuana Brass Featuring Herb Alpert The Lonely Bull
  19. The Tijuana Brass Featuring Herb Alpert Acapulco 1922
  20. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass The Lonely Bull
  21. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass El Lobo (The Wolf)
  22. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Tijuana Sauerkraut
  23. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Desafinado
  24. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Mexico
  25. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Never On?sunday
  26. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Struttin With Maria
  27. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Let It Be Me
  28. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Acapulco 1922
  29. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Limbo Rock
  30. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Crawfish
  31. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass A Quiet Tear (Lagrima Quita)

I am surprised that the included the entirety of the Lonely Bull album,
It's one of those records that copyright protection has expired on overseas, so that album and, I think, Volume 2 both show up on those janky imports. There's even a vinyl pressing of Lonely Bull that reportedly sounds awful, on some hack label out of Europe.

Yeah, buy this, if you're of a mind to, for the early tracks, not the LONELY BULL stuff. To me, that's just filler. I've got all kinds of official LONELY BULL albums and don't need this one at all.

Last edited:
I listened to a minute or so of a track from Lonely Bull and it did not sound all that good. Who knows what they used as the source?

I listened to a minute or so of a track from Lonely Bull and it did not sound all that good. Who knows what they used as the source?
True however the Mono versions of the Lonely bull and Acapulco 1922 technically the first TJB single to my ears sound Ok considering the circumstances but the filler after that no I have the authorized album in several versions I got this just for the pre TJB songs as mention previously

The 45 RPM single of those two tunes sounds excellent. Only problem is, mine was off-center. It was pressed on vinyl, not styrene, and has the original A&M script logo. Thankfully I can remove the 45 RPM adapter, nudge the record a couple of times in the right direction, put a weight on it, and it plays fine.

I am considering a purchase, but need some coaching on this. Other than the Lonely Bull tunes, does Herb play his trumpet on any of the other tracks?

Yes. There are trumpet parts on many of the songs. It's not exactly "Tijuana Brass"-sounding some of the time, but there are trumpet lines.

From Randy Badazz Alpert:

In Europe, everything before 1963 has fallen out of copyright protection for the recording masters. The first TJB album and all of Herb's vocal records that he recorded in the late 50s are now public domain in Europe. From 1964 onward there is now 20 years additional copyright protection added to the original 50 year term. See below.

The European Copyright Law Reason We're Getting A New Beatles Live Album On Apple's iTunes

Anyone in Europe can now sell The Beatles' "Love Me Do" - Consequence

HERB UK BOOT.jpg

Back
Top Bottom