Future CD reissues?

They actually just arrived! To my chagrin, I just realized my only cd player is at work on my laptop. It'll have to wait till tomorrow but they are beautiful.

On the obi slip it says the release date is tomorrow . I feel lucky!

They actually just arrived! To my chagrin, I just realized my only cd player is at work on my laptop. It'll have to wait till tomorrow but they are beautiful.

On the obi slip it says the release date is tomorrow . I feel lucky!
Unfortunately, mine is still under "order recieved" status.

Mine are “on hold” at DHL in Van Nuys.
It says they will be here tomorrow, but I’m not counting on it. Maybe a customs issue?

No issues here. They've been here since yesterday. Audio is identical to the 1996 2-disc set; in fact, the verbiage on the individual inserts still refers to Disc One and Disc Two.

No issues here. They've been here since yesterday. Audio is identical to the 1996 2-disc set; in fact, the verbiage on the individual inserts still refers to Disc One and Disc Two.
I’m not sure where people got the idea that the original mixes would be featured here as opposed to the later remixes/reissue. Did Japan advertise it that way?

No, they did not. Just limited edition reissued cd’s at a budget price in Japan. 1,500 yen. About $10 ea. plus shipping. It’s just nice to have them separate, instead of that huge dbl. jewel box from England I got back in the 90’s. The OBIs are unique too. They say Happy Christmas on the top. Mine were just delivered. I’ll play the German cd version most though. Nice to hear the original master for a change, or the vinyl. All things Carpenters I guess.

I’m not sure where people got the idea that the original mixes would be featured here as opposed to the later remixes/reissue. Did Japan advertise it that way?

Since 2001 Japan has issued both albums multiple times, reproducing the LP artwork with discs themselves identical to the Christmas Collection discs, right down to their labels. The mini-lp series did have unique labels though IIRC.
I got both albums when they were reissued for the 2013 holiday season, packaging and labels are all identical to 2001 UICY-3250/UICY-3251 issues (those are the catalogue numbers the 2013 issues use actually) bar different OBI strips and the dates in small print below the A&M and Compact Disc logo.
On each reissue the copyrights still say 1978 and 1984 on the back actually rather than 1996, which could be misleading advertising.

Last edited:
UICY-80184 & 80185 22-11-2 next to that, which is the release date. They do however say 1978 and 1984 respectively, UMG Recordings, Inc.

Yeah the other issues have the release and production end dates in the small black boxes too, I was just getting at them all being technically 1996 audio copyrights but that not being listed properly on the back cover. The discs themselves though do say ©1996, but that's no use to someone shopping for new sealed CDs lol

Since 2001 Japan has issued both albums multiple times, reproducing the LP artwork with discs themselves identical to the Christmas Collection discs, right down to their labels. The mini-lp series did have unique labels though IIRC.
I got both albums when they were reissued for the 2013 holiday season, packaging and labels are all identical to 2001 UICY-3250/UICY-3251 issues (those are the catalogue numbers the 2013 issues use actually) bar different OBI strips and the dates in small print below the A&M and Compact Disc logo.
On each reissue the copyrights still say 1978 and 1984 on the back actually rather than 1996, which could be misleading advertising.
Right. Those don't necessarily reflect the mixes, but I can see why people would make that assumption. I was more curious as to whether or not there was an ad that stated something about Portrait containing all original mixes? I guess that's what I was led to assume sometime back when reading earlier posts associated with this thread.

No mention of all original mixes from Universal Japan, no. They do mention them being a part of the new Christmas Album Masterpiece series which is seeing some albums for the first time on CD, but nothing more specific than that. Link here

"Carpenters' ninth studio album and first Christmas album. Released in 1978. They play many of the popular Christmas songs in their own beautiful harmony. Among the tracks, "Merry Christmas Darling" is the only original song and the first Christmas single released in 1970."

"Happy Christmas! ~Christmas Album Masterpiece~ series
A lineup of Christmas albums by wonderful artists.
Not only popular masterpieces, also difficult to obtain albums for the first time on CD.
Limited editions available in this season will be on sale for 1,500 yen including tax!"

Perhaps it was just the fact that the original artwork was being presented on a single disc rather than the Special Edition verbiage. Hard to say. I always expected it to be just what it is, but was surprised to see the "Disc 1" and "Disc 2" in the notes, and Richards notes about it being a 2-disc set.

Of course the original mix would be welcomed. Though I do remember the joy of hearing the remixed versions for the first time.

Perhaps it was just the fact that the original artwork was being presented on a single disc rather than the Special Edition verbiage. Hard to say. I always expected it to be just what it is, but was surprised to see the "Disc 1" and "Disc 2" in the notes, and Richards notes about it being a 2-disc set.
Basically they’re repackaging the Christmas Collection, using the original artwork for both individual albums. Japan does this every few years, and I’m glad they do!

It’s too bad that they wouldn’t do the same here in North America. The cover art for An Old Fashioned Christmas hasn’t graced North American store shelves in over 20 years, ever since the cassette went out-of-print.

It’s too bad that they wouldn’t do the same here in North America. The cover art for An Old Fashioned Christmas hasn’t graced North American store shelves in over 20 years, ever since the cassette went out-of-print.
I think UMG figures they do better with the Special Edition hybrid disc than they would if they sold the two albums separately.

I'd love to see a reissue of (at least) Portrait on vinyl here in the States. I think that would would sell well as a special market item.

I think UMG figures they do better with the Special Edition hybrid disc than they would if they sold the two albums separately.

I'd love to see a reissue of (at least) Portrait on vinyl here in the States. I think that would would sell well as a special market item.
I would think when the album finally gets the RPO treatment, we'll see a vinyl version back in the stores. I for one would swoop it up!

Well I haven’t seen either Christmas Portrait: Special Edition or Christmas Collection (in it’s now slim pack) on store shelves in my area in like 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom