German S.R.O. LP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Within the past few months, I spotted a German version of S.R.O. on eBay. It had a modified cover picture showing a girl hanging on the right-hand pole. The picture on eBay that I posted on another thread was cropped a lot on the right side, so I've been meaning to get a better shot of it. Using the digital camera and some sprucing up with PhotoShop, here's the way it looks:

SRO HorZu.JPG

What's interesting, in addition to the eye-candy, is the way the verbiage is distributed across the cover. The "Tijuana Brass" is relegated to a box in the lower right, just below another box with the "S.R.O." title. "Herb Alpert" is all alone at the top of the cover, with a "brandnew" designation underneath.

I suppose that "S.R.O." was too uniquely an American abbreviation, so the Germans re-titled it with "brandnew".

Sonically, the album is a winner. "Our Day Will Come" doesn't have the "crunchy" sound that we've gotten used to on so many LPs, CDs, reissues, etc. It's nice and clean here.

Harry

Harry I saw at cover on ebay as well. now does not the German pressings suppose to have better sound

quality like better separaton like the beatles magical mystery tour on tha same label. which I heard that the horn section on magical mystery tour.

the trumpets have better separation what are your views?

thanks
Bob

I would say the channel/instrument separation is about the same as any of the CDs or digital versions. The one thing this LP excels at is in high-end clarity.

Harry

The hovering pole dancer is a nice touch. :agree:

At least now, Pisano has someone to look at... :D

No lady on the cover in Chile, but they did use a three-letter abbreviation down there, D.P.S., which stands for De Pie Solamente, roughly "stand alone".

s-l1600.jpg

Harry

Now That is what i call " COMPLETE COVERAGE" As well as Full service. In the grand bygone tradition.

Everybody has their preferences. Since i dont drink alcoholic beverages Either brands of Cola will suit me just fine. Or better yet my customary Lemon Tea. ( which i drink often as well as coffee and i get both at the store to make at home Its Much Cheaper that way.)

Harry I saw at cover on ebay as well. now does not the German pressings suppose to have better sound

quality like better separaton like the beatles magical mystery tour on tha same label. which I heard that the horn section on magical mystery tour.

the trumpets have better separation what are your views?

thanks
Bob
If it's like the Hor-Zu, M.M.T. release...then, wouldn't there be someone's REMIXES on it(?).
Because the German M.M.T. is NOT the tracks from Capitol SMAS-2835. It does not have the 1966 mix of STRAWBERRY FIELDS, and -- the stereo versions of: PENNY LANE, BABY YOU'RE A RICH MAN, and ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE were made *after* the fact; when, in a rare occurance, the U.K. adopted the Capitol Lp version of M.M.T. over THEIR (original) EP release.

hi I hope this is not off topic to acapulco 1922 I am a beatles and that album came out in 1967 and the research I did is the songs you mention above yes they are fake stereo becasue capitol in england EMI Capitol records here in the us could not

wait for EMI In england to send them the true stereo masters of those songs, so they did a duo phonic of the songs like the old beach boys albums. but the remastered of M.M.T. All of them have the true stereo mixes.

bob

Side 1 (Hor-Zu): *except* for the inclusion of the U.K. take without the extra measure in I AM THE WALRUS, it is the same (in STEREO) as the Capitol.
Side 2 (Hor-Zu): 1971 REMIX of STRAWBERRY FIELDS; followed by *stereo* mixes of: PENNY LANE, BABY YOU'RE A RICH MAN, and the stereo mix of ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE (which wasn't made until the YELLOW SUBMARINE album).
I mean, there were (other) cases where George Martin didn't make a stereo mix for THREE YEARS ("Rain" had to wait until they mixed a stereo for the HEY JUDE comp).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom