'GNTLMN' - Colin Carpenter's group singing "Top Of The World"

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
I just received this from Richard today. His son Colin is involved with a 4-part vocal group called GNTLMN, soon to release an album and this is a rendition of Top Of The World they put together! It's fabulous and so great to see the legacy being carried out in current generations, especially by none other than another Carpenter! Enjoy and let's get the word out! :)

I just received this from Richard today. His son Colin is involved with a 4-part vocal group called GNTLMN, soon to release an album and this is a rendition of Top Of The World they put together! It's fabulous and so great to see the legacy being carried out in current generations, especially by none other than another 'Carpenter'! Enjoy and let's get the word out! :)

This is okay. The individual voices are nice (Colin is the least of them because of flat notes here and there). The beginning of the chorus isn't great because the notes aren't worked out. Some the two part is also a bit off. All in all, it's pretty shaky, honestly.

I promise I don't mean to slam. I'm sure this was done very off-the-cuff and not meant to be taken seriously. It is kind of nice to see the son doing one of this dad's most well-known tunes.

"Get Some" is just what you think it'd be with that title. I didn't listen long because there's not much of a song there. I love a lot of new stuff but this just too much like 300 other tunes I've heard.

Ed

I like it. It goes to show just how hard Top Of The World is to perform. I thought all the voices were talented and each has their own character and plus. Phrasing in this song is difficult and I think it is handled smoothly with good eye contact and facial expression. I like the tone of Colin's deep voice!
I even like Get Some. It was commercial and fun for listening. It could have several dj mixes. I think they have a good sound together and I look forward to hearing more.

This was cool to see.
I enjoyed the cover.
The single is obviously for a younger demographic and kind of "in" scene.
But, they're looking decent so far which is needed out there today, imo!
I really wish them success!

This is exciting...thanks for sharing the link. Colin has a nice voice and very cool to see them pay tribute to this Carpenters song. I didn't know he had such a deep voice. Chris, do you know the background on the group name? is it pronounced just as it's abbreviated? keep us updated on the album launch.

Add me to the camp that likes the performances of GNTLMN --- both songs as presented here.

With regard to "Get Some," are we not witnessing a return of Lipps, Inc.? :)

I do like the voices, and the blend of the four sounds amazing on the chorus of "Top of the World"! I'm sorry to say I'm not fond of "Get Some". Just not my kind of song, I guess :sigh: . However, I have enjoyed nearly every other song (or clip of such) I've heard them do, so they get an overall thumbs-up from me! :thumbsup:

Also, side note: I agree with everyone about Colin's voice. Reminds me very, very much of Richard's own low notes. Impressive, to say the least!

I love beautiful harmony from a trio or quartet. These guys each seem to have a good voice, and they blend well. They should listen to Carpenters, Corrs, Osmond's, etc to get some pointers on blending well. Of course Colin's group aren't family, so they won't have that organic kind of blend. But those I've mentioned do an amazing job harmonizing. "Get Some" I don't like at all. Does anyone know if they write their own songs?

I wish the new group every success. There's certainly dna that leaves some big shoes to fill. I hope that the CARPENTER legacy continues in any form. There's an inescapable family sound that attracts me.

I wish the new group every success. There's certainly dna that leaves some big shoes to fill. I hope that the CARPENTER legacy continues in any form. There's an inescapable family sound that attracts me.

Now, THAT's the spirit!

a bazillion years ago, a reporter asked Richard how his and Karen's voice blended so well. Richard replied, " it's familial. "

I just received this from Richard today. His son Colin is involved with a 4-part vocal group called GNTLMN, soon to release an album and this is a rendition of Top Of The World they put together! It's fabulous and so great to see the legacy being carried out in current generations, especially by none other than another 'Carpenter'! Enjoy and let's get the word out! :)

is this the same group of the guys that were finale?

Chris, do you know the background on the group name? is it pronounced just as it's abbreviated? keep us updated on the album launch.

Colin said it's basically just meant to be a cool abbreviation of the word 'gentlemen'. I guess given the boy-band approach to their sound and age(s), makes sense! There will be a follow-up EP in the not so distant future.

Fun “Top Of The World” cover. Colin’s hand gestures / facial expressions are reminiscent of his Aunt Karen.

Regarding the new song: I enjoy the tip of the hat to Cyndi Lauper (lyric, “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”) as well as the visual throwback to Aunt Karen’s mouth close-ups on the “Ticket To Ride” video. I’m sure that second one is a coincidence, though...

Thanks for posting! Very excited for the new group.

Those on here with more details about the post-C's family activities, please tell me - is this the first "serious" musical move by one of Richard's children? I've heard Mindi's singing here and there but didn't get the impression it was a career choice for her. Am I right on that?

Richard must be thrilled that one of his kids (assuming I'm right with my assumption) is actually pursuing a career in the music biz. Man, he does have a deep voice. Deeper than his dad's - Richard always struck me as a baritone with the ability to reach up into second Tenor on occasion, not so Colin, methinks.

Anyway, I _like_ "Get Some". It isn't for me, of course, and not what I would normally listen to, but I can see teenagers liking this song. Backstreet Boys-ish, N'Sync-ish. I don't care for the video itself; I'd rather see the band in there somewhere.

Found this about the band members:

• The boys of GNTLMN: Colin (bass), Camden(Baritone), Alex(tenor) and Aaron(baritone)
  • We have all been singers since we were kids and have followed our dreams out to Los Angeles!
  • We also come from a lineage of music Industry veterans!
  • Colin Carpenter sings Bass in GNTLMN and is the son of Legendary Richard Carpenter of The Carpenters.
  • Aaron sings Baritone in GNTLMN and his cousin Jason Scheff is the lead singer of the legendary Rock N Roll band, Chicago. His uncle Jerry Scheff was Elvis's Bass guitar player for many years.
  • Alex sings tenor in GNTLMN and has had the incredible opportunity to work with various artists and even landed him as one of the top 10 contestants with Kelly Clarkson on NBC’s ‘Duets’.
  • Camden sings baritone in GNTLMN and has been the face of worldwide marketing and modeling campaigns.

Anyway, I _like_ "Get Some". It isn't for me, of course, and not what I would normally listen to, but I can see teenagers liking this song. Backstreet Boys-ish, N'Sync-ish. I don't care for the video itself; I'd rather see the band in there somewhere.

@David A, I certainly agree with your thoughts regarding "Get Some" being popular with teens.

Regarding the video, my theory is that we are indeed seeing the band...

I just think that they're whole "thing" is too much of a throwback to the '90s/early '00s boy bands. Boy Bands are not what's happening right now so I'm not sure this is the right move. I wish them well, of course.

Ed

I think the new song will probably be popular. Sounds like something from a club dance floor. Not that I've been. Ha

Many connections which could really help them.

In regards to Top of the World. Hopefully just an impromptu video. It they rehearsed very much, then really not that good. It is not a difficult song to harmonize with. Almost hymn like in nature.

Jonathan

Upon visual review of the video for Get Some,
(note, especially at 50 sec) I believe James is correct (post#21 above),
in that the video includes men--albeit not explicitly dressed as such.
As for the song itself, not my cup of tea:

Strange how time flies (and, things change)
as 1980, when Karen Carpenter couldn't release...
"I remember the first time I laid more than eyes on you,"
but, now, we hear
Richard Carpenter's son singing.....
"why you dressed up to take it off"
"boys just want to get some"

Back
Top Bottom