1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Gold records

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Song4uman, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Song4uman

Song4uman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

maybe s really dumb question.
    I have seen on eBay, framed gold 45s with a picture sleeve. Are these something that someone made? Are they rare? Where did they originate?
    Jonathan

2. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Well-Known Member

I know that on the official webpage Richard said that there are a number of fakes on the market as he still has his and Karen’s.

3. It's not just the artist who gets a gold record award. I have a cousin who was once a record promoter. He, too, got a gold record when a particular record hit it's sales target (and he has a bunch of them). I think you have to look at who the gold record is presented to...producer, promoter, artist, etc. If it's one presented to Richard and Karen, then yes, it's a fake. But it could be one presented to others who were involved in the production and sales of the record.

4. Harry

Harry Charter A&M Corner Member Moderator

...and there are a number of people who make a business of making gold records for sale to fans. Be careful if you're looking for a genuine one. They're easily faked.

But then again, if you're just looking for a decoration to hang on the wall, it doesn't really matter if it's genuine, as long as it looks good.