Good 5.1 cd player

Martin Medrano

Hi everyone im looking to buy a cd player that can hold 5 cd's and can do 5.1 surround sound. Any good suggestions? Also looking to buy sacd's to go along with it.

This should be in the “Collector’s and Listeners Corner”.

But I would recommend looking for a first or second generation PS3 (Sony removed SACD playback with the third generation in October 2007) or a Blu-Ray player with SACD playback (they are cheaper than a standalone SACD player). As far as I know, there are no 5 disc PS3 or Blu-Ray players.

From what can tell that will only play normal CD’s. No SACD playback. From what I could find, the one Sony 5 CD changer that offered SACD playback has an optical out on the back and 6 analog RCA output jacks, as it only output SACD over the analog outputs (thus 6 outputs for each channel; the optical out only has enough bandwidth for 2.0 PCM audio hence why SACD and Blu-Ray players use HDMI to send 5.1/7.1 PCM digitally)).

Last edited:
Unless you look for a used Sony SACD player with a 5-disc carousel, there's nothing else out there in a CD/SACD changer available. The current models are primarily an audiophile/niche-market player now, so the days of new inexpensive "universal" players are in the past. Some SACD players today also do not include 5.1 channel outputs--they are stereo only. Disc players overall are going away since most of us are moving to network-based music playback.

To make matters worse, today's players typically do not have analog outputs. You would need a system capable of accepting 5.1 analog inputs, usually a home theater receiver of some sort.

If you let us know your budget, and what system you have on hand to play back the 5.1 audio, we can be more specific and maybe find a few used options that will do what you need. Keep us posted!

As I said previously, I would recommend looking for one of the 60 or 80 GB PS3’s, as they’ll play SACD through HDMI.

Or you could try this Yamaha: Amazon product ASIN B01HGYMEKQ
There are others on here who might know of newer and better ones. But I’m not aware of any current changers, they are all single-disc. But with Blu-Ray players, you can also play DVD-Audio & Blu-Ray Audio as well as normal CDs (n note the PS4 does not offer SACD or normal CD playback—-it’s got the laser to read CD’s as it can read PS1 CD-Rom’s, but it Sony hasn’t released any software).

Ok my budget is around a 100 and i am looking for a receiver that is new and has bluetooth. I can do without 5.1 after all.

If you have an older receiver that doesn’t have Bluetooth you can always get a Bluetooth audio adapter from Amazon for about $20 like this Logitech one Amazon product ASIN B00IQBSW28
Here’s Techmoan’s video on incorporating something like that into an older system (in his case it’s a 1970’s-era stereo receiver).

One Blu-Ray player to consider might be the Pioneer BDP-170 (according to the PDF it also has wifi reception allowing for streaming from tablets and phones)

Here’s another video by techno an where he talks about that player (at about 10:50 into the video), and on eBay there’s one for about $50 right now:

Back
Top Bottom