"GoodFriends ForKeeps" from 'Essential' & aud

Status
Not open for further replies.

SakuraSYayoi

"Good Friends Are For Keeps" from 'Essential Collection" and audio sample

Richard wrote that this song was for a "Ma Bell" campaign. I'd like to know what "Ma Bell" campaign was. Thank you.

This song is in "from the top" and "Essential Collection". You also hear 30 seconds sample on BBC or cdUniverse website.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=MUSIC&pid=5272725&cart=139452112

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/music...tp&action=list_album&album_id=706436&rand=006

Have you listened to Japanese jingles? There are 3 jingles in "Essential Colleciton". I love "From The Heart Comes The Soul", Morinaga Hi-Crown Chocolate Commercial. When I was young, I'd listen to this jigle and watch TV CM. The songs for "Pop" CM were "Top Of The World" and two songs in "Essentilal"or "from the top". There might be two taste of soft drink "Pop", grapefruit and lemon.

You also hear sample of "As Time Goes By"CD. Please click the 2nd from the bottom.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/music...tp&action=discography&artist_id=5205&rand=006

Sakura

Sakura, the "Ma Bell" refers to the telephone company. It's merely a slangy reference to the phone companies, which are usually "bell companies" like Bell Atlantic, Cincinnati Bell, etc., depending where one lives in the states.

I, too, enjoy the jingles. On the DVD "Remembering the Carpenters" there are several included as "bonus material".

Marilyn

Back when the "Good friends are for keeps" campaign was used,there was really only one Bell-good 'ol Ma Bell(no mention of Pa Bell,Alexander Graham Bell),the Bell System. After deregulation in the early '80s,the new companies that were created(Southern Bell,Bell Atlantic,etc.)were given the obvious nicknames of Baby Bells. BTW, in 1976,to celebrate the centennial of the first telephone call,the Bell System made a promotional album which features an expanded version of the "Good Friends Are For Keeps" jingle performed by Glen Campbell especially recorded for the album. Actually an interesting album with phone-themed songs performed by Dinah shore,the Fifth Dimension and ragtime piano entertainer,Max Morath. I mention it because it has been a pretty regular thrift shop item around here ever since it was made-they must have been a buck at the bill payment office-and you may see one pretty cheap(mine was a 3/$1.00 item and super clean). Mac

Marilyn,

Thanks for your message. I'm glad that you enjoyed the jigles.

I read DVD "Remembering the Carpenters" has 3 jingles on Universal Music BBS. But there are not jigles on the DVD Region 2 song list on amazon.jp(5,524Yen). Because of bonus material they are not on(?) (Region 1:2,955Yen. But I cannot watch it.) Moreover my DVD equipment was broken when I was watching Live In Japan last month. I am waiting for my husband assembling a new computer. LOL

Mac,

Thanks for your information and your kindness explaining who Max Morath is.

By the way, is Morton's popular now?

Sakura

Glen Campbell is one of the singers who I think have the voice :)
I imagine him and Karen singing in duet as he did with Anne Murray in By The Time I Get To Phoenix/I Say A Little Prayer For You.

By picking up this jingle for inclusion in the boxset, Richard has the ear for the song:he seems good at catching something sparkling even in a little song.
This talent of his makes me respect him again.

Tell me, Marylin, what other versions you think sound good?
Such an item is unavailable in Japan.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but as far as I know, the jingles are only in the 2 boxed sets and in the DVD. Of those 2, those in the Essential Collection are much better. It's a real shame you can't play the DVD in Japan, because it was very interesting to SEE the ads!!

Marilyn

jimac51 said:
I mention it because it has been a pretty regular thrift shop item around here ever since it was made-they must have been a buck at the bill payment office-and you may see one pretty cheap(mine was a 3/$1.00 item and super clean).

Just wondering, Mac, but was this an East Coast item? I've never seen a copy here in California. Sounds interesting to me! :wink:

Jon

...who plans to look harder the next time he's in Rowe's Rare Records...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom