Got "Equinox"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Had a surprise waiting for me in the mailbox today: a copy of Equinox. Patience pays off--I put in a preorder at half.com a month before the CD's reissue, Django's filled my order at my $7.99 price, and sent it along, first class mail. Slick! Wonder how many months it will take for someone to fill my order for Cal Tjader's Soul Bird: Whiffenpoof? (Same deal--$18.98 list, cheap packaging, Verve.)

So far, sounds pretty darned good for a crusty old A&M master tape! :wink: Although, sitting within a couple feet of the left speaker, I've noticed some dropouts on "Night And Day."

And what engineer had the bright idea to have the clarinet player sit in a folding metal chair during the introduction of "Triste"???? (Yes, that's what all those creaks and groans are--they're quite a bit more audible on this clean CD remastering.)

Let's hope these Japanese reissues sound as good! If so, it will be good to hear Herb Alpert Presents, Fool and Crystal Illusions in all their remastered glory. :D I'd also be interested to know if Look Around from Japan has any bass to it--the recent US reissue was OK (clean, detailed), but had hardly any bass, something that has afflicted other A&Ms around this era.

-= N =-

Rudy said:
And what engineer had the bright idea to have the clarinet player sit in a folding metal chair during the introduction of "Triste"???? (Yes, that's what all those creaks and groans are--they're quite a bit more audible on this clean CD remastering.)

Ain't it amazing?

And yes, there are a few left channel dropouts on the opening of "Night And Day"

Harry
NP: "Triste" Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

There was one other track that had dropouts ("So Danco Samba"?), but not as noticeable as "Night And Day."

I still laugh at one of the amazon.com customers who sent me an e-mail telling me that "Tijuana Taxi" didn't have dropouts. I resisted the urge to reply, "Take the cotton stuffing out of yer head, dude!"

Noticed that there's a moratorium for Equinox (May 2005). I hope the Japan releases stick around that long. May be able to afford them by then. :wink:

-= N =-
NP: "Stairway To Heaven", Led Zep

P.S. I still do not like the Equinox packaging...

Rudy said:
And what engineer had the bright idea to have the clarinet player sit in a folding metal chair during the introduction of "Triste"????
Maybe I just have a tin ear, but... that droning E is a clarinet?! I've always thought that was Bob Matthews playing arco on the G string of his bass. :shock:

There's a little waver in the note every four or five seconds, which I assumed to be the result of Bob running out of downstroke on his bow and switching directions.

- William

If that's a 'bass', it has to be awfully poorly mic'ed. :confused:

-= N =-

FYI-BMG's record club has "Equinox". I mention this,knowing price is not a selling point of record clubs,but with my "bonus points" due it was free. Also I figured that the mini-LP packaging would not have been something a record club wouldn't have wanted to get involved with so I was pleasantly surprised. Other CDs in the mini-LP versions are Stan Getz,Willie Bobo,Wes Montgomery and a few others. I just placed my order so I do not know if they are specially printed for the record club(nowadays just a different bar code and sometimes acknowledgement on the CD itself). It's been a while since the club had any interesting. Mac

Amazing that a limited-interest reissue would be available so soon! I should check in a month or two for the Tjader CD I'm waiting for.

-= N =-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom