Got my copy of Offering in the mail!

Here is something of interest to ponder. Has anyone here taken their copy of Ticket To Ride and bend the paper cover up a bit to see if the Offering cover is underneath? I wonder if many copies got recovered rather than brand new printings. Just a thought.

I wonder if many copies got recovered rather than brand new printings.

There were so few printed in the first place it would hardly be worth it - only around 18,000 pressings were made before it was retitled and rereleased. Ticket To Ride went on to sell around 250,000 units.

There were so few printed in the first place it would hardly be worth it - only around 18,000 pressings were made before it was retitled and rereleased. Ticket To Ride went on to sell around 250,000 units.

Didn't it sell around 18,000 copies? Presumably more were printed than that, although not big numbers as it didn't sell and so it probably didn't get repressed.

But I agree, as there wouldn't have been that much unsold stock of Offering sitting around, there'd be no need for A&M to use these when bringing out Ticket to Ride (they'd had to have changed the record labels as well in any case because of the retitling). This wasn't a situation like the Beatles' Yesterday and Today, where Capitol had to paste a new cover over the original 'butcher' sleeve as some record shops refused to stock the LP with that cover image, but the album title remained the same and they had over 700,000 printed copies that would otherwise go to waste.

A record store owner once told me back in the ‘70s that A&M was known for destroying old stock that didn’t sell. Not certain if that’s true or not, but it makes sense because ‘Offering’ pretty much disappeared in stores (with a few rare exceptions) by late 1970. I became a fan that year and never saw one in any store.

That being said, I do have a copy of the ‘Ticket To Ride’ LP (with the original RIAA logo on the back) with an ‘Offering’ label inside! So, who knows?

iCloud

I finally found a copy by accident browsing through the internet last week. I only paid $12 for it, and I know I will likely never find a score like that again! Here’s some pictures of it from Twitter before I sleeve it.
Wow, nice find! Congrats! One of the best parts of collecting is searching and finding a treasure. A bargain only increases the joy. :)

iCloud

I finally found a copy by accident browsing through the internet last week. I only paid $12 for it, and I know I will likely never find a score like that again! Here’s some pictures of it from Twitter before I sleeve it.
Congratulations on your Great find and a belated Welcome to the forum

I've never heard of an "overlabel" on that album. Anything is possible of course, but I have a feeling they just made all new jackets. Especially since they would have had to replace the record inside anyway (due to it being re-titled and having a new catalog number).

Back
Top Bottom