Gracinha on "Stillness"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

If I remember right someone mentioned Grachina singing on some of the sessions for Stillness. I know that Lani was starting to go solo around that 1970 period. Joe, NP: "Viramundo" Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

Gracinha Leporace's first appearance with Brasil '66 was on "Lapinha" on the FOOL ON THE HILL album. Her next go-round was on the STILLNESS album, where she appeared on "Lost in Paradise", and this album marked the change-over period from Lani to Gracinha, who would continue on as the group became Brasil '77.

Harry
NP: Carpenters, GOLD

Sergio told me she's on "Ye Me Le" as well, though it's not as apparent as on other tracks she's on (at least, to my ears).

Wasn't she on a couple of the other cuts, as well? I always have thought she was on "Celebration of the Sunrise" and possibly "Viramundo."

I don't think that's her on "Viramundo," Mike. Maybe on "Celebration." Definitely on "Lost in Paradise."

Speaking of Gracinha, does anyone know the circumstances of her appearance on "Lapinha?" I always thought it was odd how she suddenly popped up on that one track in such a featured solo role.

Were she and Sergio already "more than just friends" at that time?

- William

I don't think Sergio and Marci were divorced at the time of FOTH. Gracinha comes from a well-known musical family and already had several group and solo recordings to her credit, plus I would assume that Sergio was at least in the planning stages for the vocal version of Bossa Rio by that time.

As some of you may know Gracinha Leporace was one of the singers in the Brasilian 'Protest' pop group Grupo Manifesto, which included her brother [bassist ]Fernando Leporace, and which won one of the prestigious Rio song festivals in 1967.

After guesting on Sergio tracks Gracinha moved to the US but the rest of the group [which also incuded Amaury Tristao and Laudir de Oliveira - later to be percussionist in Brasil 77), no doubt bouyed by the massive success of Brasil 66, formed a new group called Vox Populi which recorded only one LP on the Musidisc label in Brasil in 1969.

With a similar sound (and even cover art) to the Bossa Rio spin off, the LP has become one of the rarest on the always rare Musidisc Brasil label. Whatmusic.com have recently licensed and reissued this fantastic LP which has a Rio sound but with real tinges of 60s West Coast pop. You can also find the liner notes online that put the group's history into perspective.

hope you all find this info useful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom