Gracinha's songs...

Trevor

I am unsure if this has ever been discussed, but there are 50 years of Gracinha singing.

In 1967, she started with Grupo Manifesto (2 albums: 1967 & 1968), a 1968 self-titled album, she sang Lapinha on "Fool on the Hill" (1968), Bossa Rio 1969 & 1970), and finally landed with Brasil'66 ("replacing" Lani) (1970).

So... the question are:
What is your favorite Gracinha song? (or favorites)
What is the least favorite Gracinha song?

My favorite: Lost in Paradise.
Runners- up: Esconjuros, Môrro Velho, Rio de Janeiro, e Você Abusou.

Least Favorite: Kisses (which comes off my least favorite Sergio album: Confetti)

That's a tough one.

I think my favorite would have to be "Pais Tropical" (from that album, not the remake). I never get tired of hearing that and the piano intro on it is just killer. You knew from the first note that the sound of the group was going to be different.

We've heard that Gracinha, Lani and Karen ALL sing on the Stillness tune "Viramundo," so if that counts, I'd make it a favorite too. I also really like "Lua Soberana" from the Brasileiro album.

"Lost In Paradise" is a song that I didn't like upon first hearing, but it's grown on me....I like every track on the Stillness album these days.

"Kisses" is pretty good, but I agree that the Confetti album is one of his least desirable simply because most of it just doesn't sound like a Sergio Mendes album. But the tune "Real Life" is one of my top favorites. (If we were to do a Joe Pizzulo vocals poll, that song would top my list.) And I really like the cover art on it.

Least fave....well I haven't heard those early tracks you mentioned, but I actually like a few of the ones on your "Least favorite" list. Especially "Rio De Janeiro," that's one my my top picks. "Morro Velho" would probably be my least favorite of all the ones I've heard.

These are my runners-up for favorites: Esconjuros, Môrro Velho, Rio de Janeiro, e Você Abusou.

I do like País Tropical (original version), but sounds like a Karen and Gracinha song.
studio version of Viramundo has Gracinha in it?

I like a lot of Gracinha's work, including many listed here, but will nominate a bit of an odd track - "The Christmas Song" that Sergio & Co. did for that Target Stores disc called HOLIDAY JAZZ. I never thought that the Lani Hall version from SOMETHING FESTIVE could be topped, and I'm not sure this "tops" it, but it's a great rendition, and one I delight in hearing each year.

I have several favorites sung by Gracinha but my standouts are Pais Tropical. Morrier De Amor From confetti ( for some reason that one touches me very deeply for unanswerable reasons) others include Kisses . My summer Love ( from the 1983 A&M Mendes album) Laphina Trilhos Urbanos from Oceano and of course Viramundo there are several others but I thought I'd list a few of my most favorites Gracinha really had a unique style to her singing and we are all blessed because of her contributions to Sergio's sound ( And it's nice to know Her and Sergio are still together too )

Anything Gracinha sings in the Portuguese language is tops for me. Lapinha from 1968 is wonderful and her Bossa Rio vocals are terrific. But I really associate her with those Brasil 77 albums. All her singing from Primal Roots is awesome. Kudos also go to her singing partner Geri Stevens. Vintage 74 has several splendid Portuguese vocals by her. And I especially like her singing on the song, Tonga, from the Pais Tropical LP. I also really like a song on the album which nobody from this Forum seems to like --everyone in the past says it drags--and that song is Morro Velho written by the great Milton Nascimento. For me the slowness should be savored, after all a ballad is meant to have a slow tempo. And Gracinha's wistful vocal shines on Morro Velho.

Gracinha's way of singing without vibrato was once popular in Brazil, typified by Astrud Gilberto. I like that style. It worked well with Bossa Nova. However, vibrato-less singing has long disappeared from Brazilian singers. Elis Regina in the 1960s used vibrato to her advantage with her exciting vocals, and consequently popular music in Brazil had turned a new page in its development.

I also really like a song on the album which nobody from this Forum seems to like --everyone in the past says it drags--and that song is Morro Velho written by the great Milton Nascimento. For me the slowness should be savored, after all a ballad is meant to have a slow tempo.
I don't mind "Morro Velho" although it'll never be on my top favorites list.... I think "I Know You" is the draggy one on that album! But Sergio was trying to move in a more contemporary pop direction with that album, and you'd have to admit those two songs with their lush orchestrations probably didn't help.

I'm not sure what my favorite Gracinha ballad would be...will have to give that one some thought.

I should have mentioned "The Circle Game" in my favorites...her vocals on that are tremendous.

You are correct Mike about "I Know You" from Pais Tropical. It is painful to listen to Sergio's English vocal on that one, compared to his outstanding Portuguese vocal on "Cancao do Nosso Amor" from Stillness.

Yes, Gracinha's vocal on "The Circle Game" is truly incredible. For me, The Circle Game is the greatest "extended" pop/jazz performance of all time. That's how much I enjoy it. My brother, who is a die-hard classical music fan, when he heard this song exclaimed that he wished it would never end.

Back
Top Bottom