Grease 40th Anniversary

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Since this is technically a musical, I hope this post can stay up for some exposure to a great film.

Grease turns 40...the movie (newly remastered again) will be shown in theaters for 3 days only April 8th, 11th & 14th check your local cinemas. Tickets are already available to pre-order for these dates so check your local theater and search Grease and it will appear.

I can't believe it's been 40 years...I remember seeing this when it first came to theaters at least 2 or 3 dozen times...yeah Olivia was and is HOT!!

This release will coincide with a new Blu Ray and 4K discs released April 24th.
I am hoping they revert back to the original 1978 music audio track or at least make it an option on the new Blu Ray, 4K discs. The director changed the music audio in every Grease release after 1998. I hope they give us the original music audio track back.

Here is the official trailer for the 40th anniversary....

Basically in 1998 the director realized that many people in the audience wanted to sing along with the songs in the theater so he went and enhanced the stereo remix, he put backup singers and hand clapping in the surround speakers to encourage this idea of sing a along. For me and many others it ruined the audio of the music tracks such as Hopelessly Devoted and You're The One That I Want leaving it more bombastic in sound and drowning out the original lead vocals. It's also in certain dialog scenes such as the opening beach scene when Olivia & John are talking. So everything pre 1998 sounds very different than what he did from 1998 on.

I am happy to report that I saw the movie twice on this 3 day event. It was like living those memories all over again from 1978. I am happy to report this new video master is superior to all prior masters in fact they have restored the audio and it sounded just like I remembered it from 1978. The picture quality was amazing, it really made you feel like you were part of the movie, hard to believe it's been 40th years.

As I mentioned in my prior post I was really worried that the audio might sound like the botch job they did for the 98 remaster and all masters since but they finally corrected the music and audio and brought it back to the original sound. Someone posted a video of the differences between the 1998 and this new release in theaters. Take a listen to this with headphones and you will hear the differences. This new theater release will be issued on DVD, Blu Ray and 4K Discs on April 24.

Back
Top Bottom