🎵 AotW GREATEST HITS - Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass

If you've owned or heard this album, how would you rate it?

• * * * * * (Best)

Votes: 4 23.5%

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • * * * (Average)

Votes: 2 11.8%

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • * (Worst)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Haven't heard this album

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Dad had both the original vinyl and CD versions of this (which I inherited when he passed away). I'm referring to the US versions of both, with the orange cover. I was surprised that the CD lacked the original liner notes.

I think the CD was more of a budget reissue here in the US.

I remember comparing the CD to the A&M Audiophile LP version of this (SPJ-4245), and they sounded identical.

Not-so-much budget, but it was a very early release in the CD format. I think it appeared just after the CHRISTMAS ALBUM. As an early release on CD, it seemed that the record companies hadn't quite figured out that they should try to include everything that was part of the original LPs. A great example is A SONG FOR YOU by Carpenters where the first A&M CD had none of the liner notes and pictures from the innersleeve at all. The later release by MFSL of A SONG FOR YOU, and further releases on CD all included the liner notes booklet.

The Tijuana Brass GREATEST HITS though stayed as is with its later release in the PolyGram era, changing the disc's catalog number from CD 3267 to 7502132672, and neither ever had liner notes. Just for completeness sake, I've adapted the LP inner-gatefold to place in the CD booklet.

Click on each of these to get a larger file, then print out at 4.75 x 4.75 inches. Dual sided makes one sheet to fit in CD booklet.

GH1 Inner1.JPGGH1 Inner2.JPG

Thanks for doing this Harry... (shows how bad I've slipped in my A&M Corner duties since leaving the USN)

--Mr Bill

I remember being just a little irritated, when this first came out, that some of the song titles were abbreviated on the cover. "A Taste of Honey" became "Taste of Honey." "The Lonely Bull (El Solo Toro)" was truncated to just "Lonely Bull." And "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You" lost it's "I'm." Not a big deal but for a stickler for detail like me, it stuck out like a sore thumb.

I got the impression that somebody at the label was just jotting a list of what titles were going to be on the album, and then that list became the text that's on the front.

Side note, I like the song lineup of the 16-tune UK version much better than the American version.

Not a big deal but for a stickler for detail like me, it stuck out like a sore thumb.
Never mind that the spine of the record credited "Herb Albert" (if I'm remembering it correctly). 😁

Nothing like misspelling the boss's name!

HERB ALBERT & THE TIJUANA BRASS

Yeah, me either. And when I DID find out about it, I checked my copy, and wouldn't you know, it had a wear spot right at that point on the spine. Later on, in some bulk purchases, I've gotten other copies and can see the misspelling.GHAlbertSpine.jpg

Last edited:
My ancient copy, buried somewhere in a box, probably has that error also...and I've had that thing for probably 45 or more years!

The A&M Audiophile version (SPJ-4245) is correct, as expected, since it uses different cover art. (Same cover but shrunken down to fit within the wide gold border.)

Weird thing about the one I posted, is that it's a more updated version - no gatefold, and the disc label is silver/tan, so they took their good old time correcting it, if they ever did, and if they ever noticed!

I am going to have to look at my copy and see if the spelling is incorrect.
I think a special cd edition of Greatest Hits and Greatest Hits Volume 2 could be made available.

I am going to have to look at my copy and see if the spelling is incorrect.
I think a special cd edition of Greatest Hits and Greatest Hits Volume 2 could be made available.
That was already done by A&M in about 1991 when they sold both CDs as A specially priced set it was advertised as a Fan Set I saw it in a Musicland record store at that time and I already owned them separately so getting it would for me have been redundant

That was already done by A&M in about 1991 when they sold both CDs as A specially priced set it was advertised as a Fan Set I saw it in a Musicland record store at that time and I already owned them separately so getting it would for me have been redundant
I never saw that issue so I will have to watch for it. My copy on lp does have"Albert" so it was an earlier pressing if it was ever corrected.

I think that "fan box set" was just the existing first and second Greatest Hits CDs together in a longbox with no other markings on it. Nothing special, really--just a bundling of the two titles.

I think that "fan box set" was just the existing first and second Greatest Hits CDs together in a longbox with no other markings on it. Nothing special, really--just a bundling of the two titles.
I am looking on Amazon. No combo of the two but horrendous prices for new copies of the cd's!!!! I bought a used copy of the GH 2.

Funny, I recall seeing that "Fan Box Set" in a Borders Books & Music back in the late 90s. Longboxes were long gone by that time, and this set was simply GH and GH2 bound together with shrink wrap so that each side had the cover of each title. Essentially it was just two individual CDs. I didn't buy it because it seemed silly to me, since I already owned both. This was at a time when a lot of Herb Alpert stuff was well out of print. At that time, you could find A&M CDs of WHIPPED CREAM, LONELY BULL, and these two GH discs. All of the others had gone out of print. Oh, and at Christmas time you could always find CHRISTMAS ALBUM.

Funny, I recall seeing that "Fan Box Set" in a Borders Books & Music back in the late 90s. Longboxes were long gone by that time, and this set was simply GH and GH2 bound together with shrink wrap so that each side had the cover of each title. Essentially it was just two individual CDs. I didn't buy it because it seemed silly to me, since I already owned both. This was at a time when a lot of Herb Alpert stuff was well out of print. At that time, you could find A&M CDs of WHIPPED CREAM, LONELY BULL, and these two GH discs. All of the others had gone out of print. Oh, and at Christmas time you could always find CHRISTMAS ALBUM.
Harry and Rudy That is exactly correct I'm sorry I didn't make it more clear but I think it was kind of a marketing thing for those who didn't already own both GH volumes i so remember when Many Herb Alpert albums were out of print. I was building my CD portion of my library at the time and I remembered daydreaming in vain about getting everything on CD but now thanks to Shout factory. HAP and Amazon i now have every album by Herb on CD at least once and a needle drop of the still unreissued JYAM truly a miracle

My home copy with 'Herb Albert' on the side spine. Couldn't get the artist/label owner's name right.

JB

Attachments

• 0923202039~2.jpg
    0923202039~2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 5
My home copy with 'Herb Albert' on the side spine. Couldn't get the artist/label owner's name right.
That was the end of some poor typesetter's career, I'm certain. 😁

Funny, I recall seeing that "Fan Box Set" in a Borders Books & Music back in the late 90s. Longboxes were long gone by that time, and this set was simply GH and GH2 bound together with shrink wrap so that each side had the cover of each title.
I wasn't shopping in retail stores much back then, so if I think I may have seen it in a longbox (and I'm not even sure of that--it's a vague memory at best), it would have been a decade before that at least. Didn't matter to me since I already had the individual CDs, which is why I probably didn't pay it much attention if I saw it. And I wouldn't even call bundling two hits CDs together a "box set." Was it even labelled as such, or is that some vernacular that has popped up in collector circles?

It was an official title. I remember seeing it on release lists. I tried to order it several times but our warehouse never stocked it for some reason.

I’m kind of surprised that Herb Alpert Presents hasn’t come out with a Greatest Hits of some kind for Herb, although I suppose universal still has that Definitive Hits collection of theirs available.

When I saw it in the Borders store, late 90s, it was the two GH discs, ganged together with shrink wrap, fronts facing out, with one of those sticky labels they used to put on the top of all CDs, and it said "Fan Box Set - Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass".

I also recall, in that same store, seeing the purple 25th Anniversary Tijuana Brass CLASSICS Vol. 1 as a cassette. I never saw that any other place, but then I seldom shopped cassettes.

I’m kind of surprised that Herb Alpert Presents hasn’t come out with a Greatest Hits of some kind for Herb, although I suppose universal still has that Definitive Hits collection of theirs available.
Def Hits still seems to be in print. It wasn't the best collection of hits--HAP could do a lot better, I'm sure, especially given the scope of the upcoming box set. A real treat would have been a remastering of the Dee Jay Sampler with all the original mono single mixes. But who knows if those single mixes even exist anymore--I recall reading that A&M stored their 45 RPM singles together on master tape reels but it's also possible Herb might have wanted the TJB's singles on their own master reels. Which is possible, since they were able to assemble the original Dee Jay Sampler decades ago.

Herb really needs three greatest hits collections… TJB era, A&M solo era, and whatever you’d call the current era.

Back
Top Bottom