🎵 AotW Classics Greatest Hits Vol. 2 - Herb Alpert & The T.J.B. (SP-4627)

One more item: I bought the "nice font" version that was contained in a longbox.

Greatest2-Front.jpg
Greatest2-Rear.jpg

One more item: I bought the "nice font" version that was contained in a longbox.

Greatest2-Front.jpg
Greatest2-Rear.jpg
Minus the Longbox My copy is the same I wish Polygram Didn't modify it later because this was exactly designed almost in proximity to the vinyl version and I like the Font version better that's the way I remember it

The original back cover looks so much better, although it is more difficult to read when reduced to CD-booklet size. To be honest, I never really paid attention to what the CD version was like--I was so used to the rear side of reissued CD cases having track listings in place of original cover art that it wouldn't have seemed unusual at the time. It's one of those things where I'd look at it 20 years later and say, "I never noticed that!" 😁

Another slight front cover difference is that the longbox, nice font version has a black border around the artwork, just like the original LP. The "ugly font" version (that I believe to be a replacement reissue) has just the tiniest black border.

There are also zero credits for composers and publishers on that version.

Just looking over the track list for that album, it's kind of strange how all of the songs are from What Now My Love onward....except for "Bittersweet Samba."

If I was programming this set, I'd have taken that "oldie" out and replaced it with "The Sea is My Soil." Neither song was a hit, but TSIMS was the "leadoff" tune on one of Herb's TV specials, so it would have been a good choice.

I'd have also taken out "My Favorite Things," because it's from a Christmas album, and I don't care how great it is (and it WAS a chart record), but a Christmas album song doesn't belong on a non-Christmas album, hit or no hit. I guess they could have taken off the choral intro, that would have un-Christmased it a bit, considering it really isn't a Christmas song. I think I'd have replaced that with either "The Happening" (which did crack the top 40) or "Monday, Monday" (which was a single, and is one of my faves, even though it didn't chart).

Just looking over the track list for that album, it's kind of strange how all of the songs are from What Now My Love onward....except for "Bittersweet Samba."
In a way (with the exception of "Bittersweet Samba") it does make a certain degree of sense... The first GH album is tracks from the first 5 albums and this one features tunes from the sixth album and after. And like the first album, not all these tunes were "hits" (nor, like the first GH album, were some of them even released as singles)...

--Mr Bill

The notes say Herb chose these tracks because the melodies moved him in a certain way. It's an interesting collection in that regard, and alluding to "hits" in the title was more of a marketing move to sell copies of the tapes and records. "Herb's Favorite" would not sell, in other words.

This collection is still a treasured sentimental album to Me as the period of 1977 and 1981 were the best of my younger years a lot of the music ( including Herb) continues to be a part of my permanent soundtrack and like Harry I like the " Nice Font" version best too.

I got this as a cd a few years back. It is a good addition to Greatest Hits. I had seen the lp long ago but at the time, I was not buying too many records or even cassettes. I did see it in a record store's used lp section not too long ago.
I always thought that "This Guy's In Love With You" should have been on the first Greatest Hits.

Back
Top Bottom