🎤 Interview Hal Blaine & Joe Osborn Interview: All Things 'Carpenter'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member

Many Carpenters fans are familiar with the names Hal Blaine & Joe Osborn, as they provided many of the bass and drum tracks for the hit songs recorded by Karen and Richard Carpenter that we've all loved and cherished over the years. Joe continues to work with Richard to this day. A couple of weeks ago, I had the privilege of interviewing friend Hal Blaine to talk about his life and career. After his initial interview, I called friend Joe Osborn at home and we talked for about another 45 minutes with him - a reunion of sorts.

This interview is entirely devoted to their work with Carpenters, as we discuss many behind-the-scenes details in the recording of their hits, including the making of "(They Long To Be) Close To You". We also talk about some of the personal challenges involved in working with the brother-sister duo, as well as Joe's work currently with Richard on an upcoming Christmas album. Here's the link to the interview:

"The Wrecking Crew": Hal Blaine & Joe Osborn Interview

Last edited:
Thank you Chris. The rare insights are fascinating. As a kid I always wanted to get this kind of studio action reported in the F/C newsletter. Although Richard being a "mama's boy" and labeling Karen simply as "the drummer" might have rocked the boat. I could hear in Joe's voice the sadness associated with these revelations. There has been much said about family dynamics. So complex. Well, it is whud it is. Thankfully in spite of obstacles (mama) we have a lot of listening available. Guess the family had to eat a lil crow realizing the drummer was the star of the act. While giving much credit to Richard for his lovely arrangements and developing the early C's sound he could hardly carry the act alone. I know that October 8, 1972 here in Portland My little 9 y/o self was HOT for the voice. I couldn't have cared less about the pianist, arranger and composer. I'm a little hazy but I think they opened with HELP with Miss C behind her set of drums. Ah yes, complete with maxi-dress. The statewide newspaper The Oregonian ran a glowing review focusing primarily on the lead sister. Also championing that the duo sold-out The Memorial Coliseum with a house capacity of 10.000. Curious that Joe Osborn, Hal, Herb or somebody couldn't ruffle enough feathers to instill the much needed confidence Karen thirsted for. They say live and learn...but sometimes it can be a real b***h!

I couldn't agree with you more. The truth is, both Joe and Hal had (and I believe still have) their best interests at heart. The reality is however, the truth is still the truth...

Joe Osborn spoke quite clearly of Richard's ever-looming Christmas album. He had the chance to comment that Karen will NOT be featured anywhere. All that wishin' -n- hopin' for naught. Too bad. Would've been an ideal time to jump-start holiday interest. Hope tho I may, I don't foresee another White Christmas. Maybe the ol' boy will surprise us. I thought people like Petula Clark and others contributed. This interview makes it sound like the lil gal from the south has center stage. Hmmm

This is the first I've ever heard of A&M being close to dropping them after "Offering" didn't do well. Herb Alpert has always talked about still having confidence in them, and looking for more material for them, which is how "Close to You" developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom