🎷 AotW: Kudu Hank Crawford: Help Me Make It Through the Night (Kudu Records KU-06)

Kudu Records Album of the Week
1673324039503.pngHank Crawford: Help Me Make It Through the Night

Kudu Records KU-06
Released 1972
  • A1 - Help Me Make It Through The Night 5:40
  • A2 - Brian's Song 3:25
  • A3 - Uncle Funky 5:32
  • A4 - In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning 2:48
  • B1 - Go Away Little Girl 4:20
  • B2 - Imagine 4:05
  • B3 - Ham 3:07
  • B4 - The Sun Died 4:05
Credits, all tracks except B3:

Alto Saxophone – Hank Crawford​
Arranged By – Don Sebesky​
Bass – Ron Carter​
Cello – Charles McCracken, George Ricci​
Design [Album] – Bob Ciano​
Drums – Bernard Purdie​
Engineer – Rudy Van Gelder​
Guitar – Cornell Dupree​
Harp – Margaret Ross​
Organ, Piano – Richard Tee​
Photography By – William Cadge​
Producer – Creed Taylor​
Vibraphone – Phil Kraus​
Viola – Alfred Brown, Emanuel Vardi, Theodore Israel​
Violin – Bernard Eichen, Elliot Rosoff, Emanuel Green, Felix Giglio, Gene Orloff, Harold Kohon, Harry Lookofsky, Joe Malin, Max Pollikoff​

Track B3 credits:

Alto Saxophone – Hank Crawford
Arranged By – Pee Wee Ellis​
Baritone Saxophone – Pepper Adams​
Drums – Idris Muhammad​
Guitar – Eric Gale​
Percussion – Airto Moreira​
Tenor Saxophone – Grover Washington, Jr.​
Trombone – Wayne Andre​
Trumpet – Al DeRisi*, Snooky Young​

Recorded at Van Gelder Studios, January 1972, except track B3 recorded August 1971.

Amazon product ASIN B075RMYM52

I don't know much about Crawford. I did a check of my holdings, looks like he's on a few here and there in the '60s -- mostly the R&B side of jazz. This release doesn't do much for me -- too much like he's just soloing and there's no real interplay with the group. No one's gonna confuse this with Lonnie Smith. I hear the seeds of what I like to call "happy saxophone music" of the late '70s / early '80s...and beyond!

The Kudu records certainly do lean more pop than jazz at times. I think Creed may have been trying to get many of these onto urban contemporary radio rather than jazz. With releases like this and the Esther Phillips, that certainly seems the case. This one's enjoyable but there's not quite as much meat on the bones. Guitarist Eric Gale is on quite a few of the Kudu albums, and has one of his own coming up in the near future. Idris Muhammad does lay down a nice groove but the production and arrangement kind of bury him way over on one side.

Back
Top Bottom